Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Longer Peep Tube Sight (Read 3505 times)
Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Longer Peep Tube Sight
Nov 25th, 2018 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I have borrowed a 20 inch long peep sight that had a fixed aperture.

It used 7.2 inch spaced blocks and adjustments were too coarse for my liking.

My Black Powder Rifles have 17 inch blocks for the 28 inch MVA scope.

The wider spacing of the blocks provides finer adjustments for your sights so I was contemplating building a 28 inch long peep sight.

The borrowed peep sight was too dark and the focus on the aperture was poor.

So I would use a Gehmann adjustable iris with an adjustable diopter to properly manipulate light and to be better able to focus the front sight and target.

It is tough to thread the German Female 9.5x0.75 NC 1.00 so I could puchase the Parker Hale/Redfield adapter and thread to a M4 x 10 fine thread (3.3 mm drill) instead to utilize the Gehmann rear sight.

With the longer 28 inch tube I was wondering if I would be letting in enough light.

To maximize light I was thinking of using the Gehmann adjustable front aperture.

But then what do I need to do to thread the front of the tube to accept it? a M18 x .50 m/m pitch tap (16 mm drill)?

I was considering on using MVA scope mounts with the 28 inch peep sight.

I believe a longer peep sight would be more accurate but the question is will I have enough light?
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:42am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Longer Peep Tube Sight
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 9:25am
Print Post  
For a long tube a thick wall would make it more rigid.

I was thinking a .060" thick wall 3/4" O.D. steel tube (.630 I. D.) would work the best or is it too heavy?

Perfect inside diameter to tap for the Gehmann adjustable iris.
« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:15pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #2 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Hi Dave, I picked the brain of J Louis when I made mine and got a lot of good ideas from him.  I used .095 wall thickness seamless tubing and it is plenty stiff.  I was a bit surprised at the small amount of light admitted through the tube, but there seems to be enough for a good sight picture.  Don't think you'd ever need to stop down the available light with a front iris.  I also suspect that a thicker walled tube would cut down the light even more. I'm unsure how it would affect the field of view, but it might reduce that also.  With the mounts, mine weighs 2 lbs.  As I recall John had some good ideas for the front sight.  Maybe he'll chime in.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

JerryH
Oldtimer

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #3 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
I use a 34" tube sight on the bench and a 30" tube sight for offhand. They are both made from .060 seamless tubing with a Lyman 20 MJT and an Anschutz 2.6 aperture on the front. The rear aperture is a Parker Hale adjustable iris with colored filters. I have no trouble getting plenty of light through either one. I usually have the iris adjusted down quite low.

The rear block is the same one I use with a Lyman STS. The front block for the tube sight is spaced 21 3/8" from the rear one. That gives me about 3 clicks per 1/2" at 200 yards. I do have to run a shorter block in front to be on target.

May not be the best approach but it works for me.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Dave, I mis-read your tube dimensions.  I think that you'll have the same size as Jerry's - .060 wall thickness.  That should give you more light than mine (id = .560) as well as saving you some weight.  If I was to do it again, I would use the thinner walled tubing.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:10pm
Print Post  
When I used the MVA rear mount on blocks at 7.2 spacing my settings were 10 for 100 yards and 25 for 550 yards.

My blocks were machined to be exactly the same height from the center of the bore (to adjust for barrel taper).

So the settings with blocks at 17 inch spacing I expect a setting of 24 for 100 yards and 59 for 550 yards.

The Schuetzen staff only goes up to 62 so reducing the height of my front base by 1/8 inch would give me more elevation (about 200 yards).

So are you guys adding on a front globe sight to hold the apertures or just machining it to fit apertures?

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:34pm by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
If you desire to thread the front for an adjustable aperture (18mm) you can size the I’d (wall thickness) to a produced size that does not require turning it to get to the tap drill size needed. I like having the adjustable in front to size to target size and line of white I prefer. Also Just remember the longer you make the tube the bigger the front aperture will need to be.
Also instead of cutting in a pope rail DZ Arms has the
Clamp on pope rail that you can move anywhere along the tube which is much easier then cutting a slot and soldering ( or epoxies) in a rail, just a thought. Good luck

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:08pm
Print Post  
It is actually 3/8 X 28 UNF and per-say the same as the Metric version and that is why the 3/8 X 24 would not thread all the way in for you. I use an Anchutz Clamp and the Acrylic Aperture inserts on the front. Or you could also use the adjustable Iris versions and also quite nice and that tap size is a M18 X .5 and there is plenty of wall thickness in the .095 seamless tubing. I also have plenty of light my tube sight is 30 inches in length and it's the interior baffles, their various hole sizes and then their locations that make it real useful or note and I used five.

JLouis

Every Time You Try And Fail The Closer You Are To Achieving Success.

IP Logged

jfeldman
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Dave, I used a cheap aluminum Parker Hale front globe sight, cut off the mounting part, worked it round and mounted it backwards on the end of the (turned down) tube.  Got a set of inserts from Lee Shaver.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Mine is pictured below and if using the Anchutz Clamp it is larger in diameter than the tube and why I added the larger piece and the same diameter as the clamp for those I sold who wanted the same. The clamp can also be turned down to the same diameter as the tube to not look silly but it will also be very smooth and could be a bit challenging to unscrew if screwed on to tight. You also want to insure the tube does not have allot of run out it will affect either your windage or evelevation adjustments or possibly both. Those I made were straightened to have a runnot of no more than a .001 perside the length of the tube and mine has zero. The Pope ribs were also soldered on and the finish left up to the customer mine has none but it is polishished.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
One of two 247's I have shot with it the outs shots on the second pretty much looked the same and they do work well if made right. Those marks below the 25 ring are not bullet holes but from poor handling prior to pulling it back out off the trash when I moved and then deciciding to keep it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

JLouis

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2018 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Jerry H is being abit modest and the only one I know of who has shot a 250 with it while also shooting his 25WCF and a very pleasurable sight for me to be able watch being done in a match.

JLouis

IP Logged

JerryH
Oldtimer

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #12 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:02am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Nov 26th, 2018 at 6:10pm:

So are you guys adding on a front globe sight to hold the apertures or just machining it to fit apertures?

Dave,

I'm using a Lyman 20 MJT globe turned round and then bored out to slip over the tube. I solder it in place and then clock the rib and solder it in place also.

Again, it works for me but I'm sure it could be done many other ways. Most of them better than mine.

Here are a few photos showing my bench tube sight on my rifle, and my offhand tube sight. Also a shorty tube sight just to show what I do. And of course a couple of photos are with my helper, Brandy Sue.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 12:29am
Print Post  
I probably should not spill the Beans but Brandy Sue does all of the hard work in keeping Jerry extremely focused on all of his outstanding work!

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 27th, 2018 at 9:25am
Print Post  
I can understand how the baffles would work well in a shiny bright steel tube that reflects light sideways in the tube.

But the baffle solution may be a bit of overkill and requires more machine work and is more labour intensive.

Much of the reflective light can be reduced by roughening the inside surface and coating with flat black paint.

The price of a tap to screw in an adjustable iris is less than the price of a globe sight which also needs work to install.

By tapping the front I will be able to insert  the adjustable front aperture on backwards but this one works by looking at it from either side.
I will have to build a sunshade that slides over it.

Over the years I have drastically reduced glare by having a sunshade in front of my adjustable front aperture.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2018 at 9:35am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint