Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Rowland's and Pope's group questions (Read 2743 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Rowland's and Pope's group questions
Reply #75 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Vall, Any idea what the dimensions of the scoring rings are on the American Standard target?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #76 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:21am
Print Post  
John
If you look at the scores of Pope and Hudson in the Election Day match if you subtract 25 points from Hudson's score to account  for Pope's blunder you will see that Pope outshot Hudson on the other 99 shots.

40 Rod

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #77 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:22am
Print Post  
Schuetzenmiester wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:49am:
Vall, Any idea what the dimensions of the scoring rings are on the American Standard target?

I'm pretty sure they are in Ned Roberts book.  I can dig them up if you like.

Chris.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #78 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 11:48am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #79 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
40_Rod wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:21am:
John
If you look at the scores of Pope and Hudson in the Election Day match if you subtract 25 points from Hudson's score to account  for Pope's blunder you will see that Pope outshot Hudson on the other 99 shots.

40 Rod

Blunders or missteps have lost more than one great shooter a match. It's all part of the game, and the best shooters still have the least mistakes.
The first Creedmoor match between the US and Ireland was won by just such a misstep, when an Irish team member cross shot on the wrong target. A win is a win, and a miss is a miss. I doubt anyone afterwards thinks less of the winners for not making a mistake.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #80 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy,

Yes....in Harry Pope's own words; "A good score is not made by a large number of perfect shots, but by the absence of poor ones." Also, from Dutcher's Ballard book;
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2018 at 6:31pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

OLD TUCK

Reply #81 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:58pm
Print Post  
John, the story I heard was that someone spoke to Pope while he was reloading and distracted him. Result was he forgot to Muzzle load a Bullet. He fired and the result was a scored miss.
I had been told this and also read it in some record of how he lost that Match. HTH Regards, FITZ.OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #82 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks for refreshing my memory Fitz and how I recall it as being.

JLouis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #83 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 3:54pm
Print Post  
Everyone who has ever shot in any kind of competition knows how important it is to stay focused, and repeat every step the same....without interruption. It is part of great shooting, and should never be dismissed or taken lightly, as history has shown what the result can be.
Even the greatest shooters have lost matches because they faltered, or became distracted. So the importance of maintaining strict habits in both loading and shooting are equal to how well the shooter shoots, and maybe more so when the level of competition is high!

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #84 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 3:54pm:
Everyone who has ever shot in any kind of competition knows how important it is to stay focused, and repeat every step the same....without interruption. It is part of great shooting, and should never be dismissed or taken lightly, as history has shown what the result can be.
Even the greatest shooters have lost matches because they faltered, or became distracted.

And there's absolutely no distraction greater than someone talking to you.  In competition, rules could be enacted to prevent that, but not in ordinary daily life--like the time I was so distracted by someone talking to me while I was packing up from a fishing trip that I left a bamboo fly rod worth $2000 laying on my open tail-gate when I drove off.  20 miles down the road, I remembered, drove back to look, but the story didn't have a happy ending.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #85 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Practice is to me the most important aspect of good shooting. Unfortunate the fellow talking to Pope didn't wait until after the match. If sitting down shooting a match conversations or background noise doesn't destract me personally. I can block it out and stay focused it's when someone is banging out their primers using a set of Wilson dies and a hammer or a home brewed slam bang decapper on the line that is almost impossible to deal with.

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #86 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
I'm trying to put together pictures of some of the components (containers) that Rowland was using. The old 7 1/2 UMC Primers were apparently brass (opposed to copper) large rifle primers for smokeless powder, probably mercuric fulmanate. I haven't found very much about DuPont No. 1 Smokeless Powder, but the instructions on the back of the can are interesting. The bullet alloy he was using, 1 in 10, would be 10% tin, so his bullets were fairly hard.
« Last Edit: Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:47pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #87 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 6:02pm:
Practice is to me the most important aspect of good shooting. Unfortunate the fellow talking to Pope didn't wait until after the match. If sitting down shooting a match conversations or background noise doesn't destract me personally. I can block it out and stay focused it's when someone is banging out their primers using a set of Wilson dies and a hammer or a home brewed slam bang decapper on the line that is almost impossible to deal with. 

God forbid that someone fire a shot.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #88 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 3:54pm:
Even the greatest shooters have lost matches because they faltered, or became distracted. So the importance of maintaining strict habits in both loading and shooting are equal to how well the shooter shoots, and maybe more so when the level of competition is high!

Yup, it happens to all of us.  I hate it when I shoot a case full of 4227 down the bore  Embarrassed

Concentration needs to continue through the follow through.  I recall shooting         a ML match with my .54 flinter.  It was very reliable, but one shot offhand went click, ffsssssst, kaboom.    I was beginning to wonder if that shot would ever go off  Roll Eyes  Ya don't dare try to move off target   Wink  Still won, but with a 49 instead of 50.

Those scoring rings on the American Standard are tighter than the current NRA SR 200 yard target. And, shooting 74 on a 3 shot ring target more than a couple times is amazing!

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #89 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:37am
Print Post  
Schutzenbob wrote on Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:37pm:
I'm trying to put together pictures of some of the components (containers) that Rowland was using. The old 7 1/2 UMC Primers were apparently brass (opposed to copper) large rifle primers for smokeless powder, probably mercuric fulmanate. I haven't found very much about DuPont No. 1 Smokeless Powder, but the instructions on the back of the can are interesting. The bullet alloy he was using, 1 in 10, would be 10% tin, so his bullets were fairly hard.

I have the same powder tin and primers Bob! I love the early cans with load data on the reverse side. Just neat to see the data the makers listed back then.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 
Send TopicPrint