Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Harrell’s Small Pistol/Schuetzen measure (Read 2017 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Harrell’s Small Pistol/Schuetzen measure
Dec 2nd, 2018 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Loading some very light 38 Special, Hodgdon called for 3 grs Clays, no bushing that small for my fixed rotor pistol measures.

Pulled out the Harrell’s Schuetzen, it dropped 3 grs Clays but had the occasional light drop, with the next drop spot on. Isolated the problem to working the handle too fast, evidently with charges that light it needs a little bit of time to fill, split second top of the throw.

Routine corrected it’s amazing how well that measure works. Playing with it while loading recorded 3 gr micrometer setting clicked it down to zero every 10 throws then back to the recorded setting.  Back to 3 grs drop every time no fiddling .

Nice tool !

Boats

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Harrell’s Small Pistol/Schuetzen measure
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
I've never heard anything but good about the Harrell measures. I get very accurate drops from my other brand tools, and will keep them since I don't change settings all the time. When I do, it's at home and no big deal. But, if one were to load at the range and change often the Harrell, with a list of settings for the powder sure would be worthwhile.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
I resisted buying a Harrell's measure a long time. Mainly because of the cost. Then I found that same Schuetzen measure used, and cheap. No hoppers, but found a place on line selling them for $6 ea. and bought a few.
I wish I'd not resisted so long, as it's the finest and most repeatable powder measure I've ever known. I bought more hoppers, as I keep hoppers for specific powders and write various load "click data" on the side of the hopper. Since they have lids I can unscrew them and store them with the powder in the bottle, unlike other measures that the hopper doesn't remove, or doesn't have a good screw on lid.
Best powder measure ever!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
Any kind of plastic container go to these guys.  Instant shipping at reasonable cost no order too small. They have bottles to fit Harrell’s

I just ordered some Delrin balls in several sizes. Use them under the set screw on loading die lock rings keeps from deforming the threads . Some larger to go under the lock screws on lathe and mill finals.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Boats

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
If using a new bottle it helps substantially to have the inside coated with graphite before using. And their Schuetzen version is thee best and most accurate reduced powder charge measure currently out there. Their larger powder charge measures are not and not designed to be so. They are designed for other individual specific uses and where I would think some of the complaints might stem from.

JLouis

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Dec 2nd, 2018 at 4:09pm:
If using a new bottle it helps substantially to have the inside coated with graphite before using. And their Schuetzen version is thee best and most accurate reduced powder charge measure currently out there. Their larger powder charge measures are not and not designed to be so. They are designed for other individual specific uses and where I would think some of the complaints might stem from.

JLouis

That is interesting to hear John.   I just had a look at their online catalog and it does look like the adjustments are finer on the Schuetzen measure.  I have the Premium Culver measure and each click is just a tiny bit more than 0.1gr of IMR-4227.   I do like it though, but in retrospect the Schuetzen model would have been a better choice.

Chris.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 5:59pm
Print Post  
With my Schuetzen measure Chris and using a ball powder every three clicks is a tenth. It is so accurate and repeatable I haven't used my digital scale in years and just go by my notes and settings if still using the same lot number of powder. Might add after a bit of use the graphite from the power will eventually coat the inside of the powder container but until that takes the measured amount can vary a bit. And why it's best to coat it if new and unused so it doesn't appear as not being money well spent or something being wrong with the measure itself.

JLouis

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
  I have a "Schuetzen" measure and a "Benchrest" measure; both are exquisitely accurate. This is the first I have heard of complaints about Harrell products.
   Often people will complain about a product, when the actual problem is their lack of ability to use the product properly.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

― Anonymous Greek Proverb

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 6:59pm
Print Post  
Jeff and even more typical hearing it doesn't work from someone who doesn't know how too and then sharing it to someone who doesn't have a clue and now they are doing the same and sharing it to someone else.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 7:14pm
Print Post  
I have the larger Harrell’s too, it’s a great rifle measure throwing 4227 as good as you could want. The Schuetzen clicks are much finer.

My 3 gr clays experiment confirms good as the measure is it still needs to be operated consistently. 3 Grs flake powder like Clays is a extreme test.

Boats
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2018 at 4:55am by boats »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2018 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
Boats out of curiosity does the large Harrel measure do a better job of metering the Flake powders than the Schuetzen. Back in the day when I was spending allot of time and effort with all the various powders in search for the very best for use in my 32-40. I found the Alliant 410 Flake Powder to shoot extremely well but also very difficult to meter so I moved away from it and why I ask.

JLouis

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 4:55am
Print Post  
John I cannot say. Not being much of a experimenter use the larger measure for IMR  Rifle powders like 4320 4350 4064 etc.

When I am working with 4227 either measure will throw charges suitable for 32/40 or 38/55. More often than not use the larger simply because it’s what I have always used.

My larger Harrell’s is no longer in production . It was his economy model exact name I can’t recall. Bought from ?Lynwood Harrell in his shop about 1998-1999 . Basically the same design no bearings. You can feel the lack of bearings, it still throws well.

Boats

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 11:17am
Print Post  
I have two Harrell measures. I enjoy using them and have never had a problem. I do not use them for rod ( stick) powder. What I really appreciated was the business manner of Harrell. I called to order and asked about the payment method. They told me they would send it out with a bill. If I didn't like it send it back otherwise send a check. Who does that anymore?

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Kurt same experience I had and wouldn't let me pay for it until I tried using it first. That was back around 2002 or there abouts and a Schuetzen measure.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2018 at 1:16pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

bohemianway
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2018 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I picked one up a couple of years ago and it was the same. And it works as advertised. I go from one setting to another and it is repeatable. Although I do run one charge over the scale just cause. I recommend the Schuetzen measure.

Charles

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint