Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Huskvarna 33 rolling block rifle (Read 1254 times)
blackknight+55

Huskvarna 33 rolling block rifle
Dec 5th, 2018 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
I am considering buying an Huskvarna model 33 rolling block rifle.  The seller lists the caliber as either 8x42R or 8x57R/360.  Can cartridges be  formed from existing brass and are reloading dies available.

I also have considered having the chamber sleeved or a inner installed if the extractor would work out.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Huskvarna 33 rolling block rifle
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Print Post  
The 8x57R(360) is easily made from 9.3x72R. While a listed but not common caliber for the 33, the 8x42R appears to be able to be made from the 43 Mauser. See this for that one: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links). That said, a chamber cast would definitely be in order as the Mauser base seems a bit large for a 33 and maybe the Swedish 8x42 was just a shorter 8x57R(360). It would be really interesting to know more about the 8x42R in a 33 if that is what it is. I'm sure dies would be available from CH4D one way or the other. Hopefully the seller really knows that he has a 33 and not one of the sporterized large frame Husqvarna rolling blocks.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
A chamber cast, and slugging the bore will be required. These Type 33 can be found in a number of various calibers and bore sizes, so you'll want to be sure what your particular gun is before you begin forming cases for it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

blackknight+55

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I have been doing research on the cost of getting the rifle shooting and my age and have decided to let someone else have a go at it.  I had hoped to find a cartridge that was available, at a good price, to convert without much hassle.  With the cost of getting the model 33 shooting I would be close to the price of a CPA.  I still look at the Husqvarna 33.  Those old rifles have a charm that is hard to ignore.  Thanks for the help, it was much appreciated.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2018 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Until you know for sure what the caliber and chamber is, it's tough to say it's expensive or cheap to get it shooting.
I know mine cost absolutely nothing extra to get shooting. Since I use .38-55 dies, and brass, plus bullets sized down in my lubrisizer; there was no extra cost.
But I had to do the chamber cast to discover that.

IP Logged

Fazer

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
I too have a 33 in 8x57R, 360 2 1/4. I was lucky enough to have a guy give me a bunch of 360 brass. Dies were easy to get from CH4D. You need a new set of dies for most new calibers you get, same with a mold. The brass has lasted very well and it shoots well. You are not putting a lot strain on anything. If it's a good deal, I wouldn't pass it by, thinking it will take a lot to get it up and going.

IP Logged

oldman46

Reply #6 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Check out gunboards.com, Alan Schisel (spelling) had two model 33's for sale saw them last night. Didn't have the full length stock on the forend, shortened. I have no connection to him, just thought I'd pass this along with those that have an interest in these rolling blocks. Frank

IP Logged

Swede
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 4:31am
Print Post  
Fazer wrote on Dec 10th, 2018 at 7:03pm:
I too have a 33 in 8x57R, 360 2 1/4. I was lucky enough to have a guy give me a bunch of 360 brass. Dies were easy to get from CH4D. You need a new set of dies for most new calibers you get, same with a mold. The brass has lasted very well and it shoots well. You are not putting a lot strain on anything. If it's a good deal, I wouldn't pass it by, thinking it will take a lot to get it up and going.

It is a really slow twist in these ones, what bullet and load are you shooting???

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
oldman46 wrote on Dec 11th, 2018 at 12:41am:
Check out gunboards.com, Alan Schisel (spelling) had two model 33's for sale saw them last night. Didn't have the full length stock on the forend, shortened. I have no connection to him, just thought I'd pass this along with those that have an interest in these rolling blocks. Frank

They made the Type 33 with full length, or half stock. So those seen with half stock aren't shortened full length versions.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
They are both original half stocks. The second one that the OP was thinking about looks quite nice and the prices are reasonable. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I might add that as much as I like my full stock 33, that now having played with my half stock, the half stock is one really slick little rifle.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2018 at 1:53pm by oneatatime »  

IP Logged

svartkruttgris#369
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Dec 11th, 2018 at 1:26pm:
They are both original half stocks. The second one that the OP was thinking about looks quite nice and the prices are reasonable. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
I might add that as much as I like my full stock 33, that now having played with my half stock, the half stock is one really slick little rifle.

Straight from pens and presses of Husqvarna, way back in 1886 or so, in the last sentence on the first page of that old Husqvarna document that Swede posted in another M33 thread, there is explicit mention of half stock M33s. It says that you should not allow the part of the barrel that is bare touch a solid rest when shooting a half stocked (halfstockade) M33.

IP Logged

oldman46

Reply #11 - Dec 11th, 2018 at 11:49pm
Print Post  
Marlinguy, by far no expert on the Model 33 rolling blocks but I seem to remember he had about 4 of them at one time and now down to the last two. Have no connection with this gentleman just thought to pass them along since there seemed to be a noticeable increase in interest. My only rolling block is a Swedish one made in 1875 and reworked with heat treated block,hammer,pins and chambered in the 8x58RD cartridge. No slop in either the block,hammer,or pins. Was seriously thinking about haveing a octagon barrel installed in 44 special and making up a forend up from the forend cut off a battered 1891 Argentine mauser stock. As usual my wife says I have a champagne taste and a beer pocketbook. Metal is in nice shape as well as the barrel and original wood on the RB. 24" long barrel with a 1x20 twist. cast bullets only. Frank

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint