Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens 414 main spring alteration? (Read 666 times)
JeffG

Stevens 414 main spring alteration?
Dec 5th, 2018 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Hello, I'm brand new to the forum. I joined to see if i could learn more about a Stevens 414 that's has some custom tinkering.

Primarily it has the main spring anchored to a block spanning the tangs. The shaft it follows is bent on both ends to keep the tension angle close to original.

Thanks in advance for helping the new guy!

Has anyone seen a rebuild like this? I'm concerned with it's long-term durability. The custom barrel has "Horst" stamped on it.

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 414 main spring alteration?
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Looks like the tangs have been shortened a bit. Originally it had this at the end of the spring and it hooked on a screw in the lower tang. Picture is from a 417 which I think is the same. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
Originally I believe they had a screw with a large head and a groove cut in that head for the end of the spring rod to sit in. The coil spring sat over the rod.

This is a conversion to a through bolt stock setup, to eliminate the stock being held on by two screws. Supposed to make the gun more accurate, and eliminate the stock from working loose over time.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JeffG

Reply #3 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Yes, this modification is definitely about mounting the butt with a through-bolt, it's rock solid. The spring set-up must affect the lock time, by having the weird approach angle.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Most tang screws are of the tapered cabinet type and back out. Steve Duren had a nice article in a past ASSRA Journal on how to make them out lag bolts and the backing out problem permanetly solved. In other words they need to be straight shanked with course threads. I replaced those on my CPA several years ago and well before the article and they haven't came loose since.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint