Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Belgian rolling block rifle (Read 906 times)
Devil Dog Andy

Belgian rolling block rifle
Dec 5th, 2018 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Hi guys (and gals...if any). Devil Dog Andy here. Just got my acceptance verification, and hope y'all can help me out.

Some time ago I pulled the trigger on what was advertised as a Belgium-made take-down .22rf rolling block rifle. When it arrived it had grown to .32rf! Nefarious dealer and I got cross-wise back and forth. I made arrangements to send the .22/.32 back. Boxed it up and shipped it back. That scoundrel refused to sign for it!

I'm a long time shade tree gunsmith, I did a little research and found a YouTube video by Midway Arms on how to convert a .32rf to 32-20 Cowboy Action, Planning to hand load with Trail Boss and hope to paper patch if I can wrap-that skinny bullet. I love that little round (have a Savage 23-C Sporter bolt gun and a S&W Hand ejector in that flavor).

I've always been drawn to single shot rifles, having or having had a Sharps (repro) 45-120., a Ruger #1 .220 Swift, Winchester (repro) High Wall 45-90, a couple of Stevens Favorite .22s and probably some I've forgotten about...

All said, to get to my question(s): I know my little .22/.32rf is Liege proofed, has BELGIUM and Acme Arms Company on the barrel. On the left side of the action there is stamped what can best be described as a spreading oak tree in it's winter mood (no foliage). Can any of you SS guru's help me with my little rifles provenance?

Semper Fi.
Andy

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Belgian rolling block rifle
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
A photo or two might at least provoke some pleasing speculations among the membership.  My Gun-Marks book doesn’t have any pictures of spreading oak trees, but there is a stylized Christmas tree that is the trademark of Albrecht Kind of Berlin-Nurnburg.

The only Acme Arms designations in my book are for off-brand H&A and M&H pocket revolvers.  Stevens used the name as well.

I would advise you to forget about turning a takedown rimfire Rolling Block into a .32-20.  The cartridge is too powerful for the usual run of small-frame rimfires.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Without knowing the size of your action, or seeing it; I'd be hard pressed to say if it's even safe to convert to .32-20 or not. Being a takedown .32 makes me suspicious that it's a #4 type or size action, which would be a bad choice for .32-20. If it's similar to a #1, 1 1/2, or 2, then it's a good candidate. But those are all much stronger actions than the #4.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

KAF
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
New contact for membership:

7920 36th St  S
Scotts MI 49088-9302

m.gibbs@att.net

Not sure when the form online will be updated.

Keith L 3240

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint