Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ballard Rimfire Modification (Read 239 times)
J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballard Rimfire Modification
Dec 6th, 2018 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Maybe of interest to someone here.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kensmachine
Senior Forum Member

Re: Ballard Rimfire Modification
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2018 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
I see that back of the hammer at the hammer screw is opened up on the few ballards I have had if the hammer was cracked at the hammer screw it gave me some kind of trouble. Ken

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 9:52am
Print Post  
That opening up at the hammer pivot screw looks like a bad idea to me! And unsure what it would accomplish that they thought it would be better?
I've seen numerous Ballard hammers cracked at that point, as it's very thin metal by the hole. But it's never caused an issue with the hairline crack. I talked with Dave Casey when he was at Ballard Arms in Cody, Wy. about these cracks and he said he wouldn't even waste time fixing them, as they don't create any issues. When they re-cased the parts for my early #4 the hammer was cracked, and he suggested leaving it alone. It's always worked perfect, and still does. I'd guess in those of mine I've split the blocks on, I've seen a half dozen with cracks at that point, and no issues.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:27am
Print Post  
Don't believe it relates to the modifications being done or am I missing something.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:33am
Print Post  
J Louis wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:27am:
Don't believe it relates to the modifications being done or am I missing something.

Well they don't mention it as part of the rimfire mods. But since they illustrate it, I can't help but wonder what the reason would be for such an odd modification to that Ballard action?
Can't help but wonder about mainspring life also with the 3/16" rod staked into the frame to restrict half of the spring's movement? Seems like a good chance of mainspring failure by bending the spring over that rod shot after shot.

IP Logged

J Louis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 12:58pm
Print Post  
Anyone familiar with the fellow who shared it does the name happen to ring a bell to anyone.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Dec 7th, 2018 at 11:33am:
Can't help but wonder about mainspring life also with the 3/16" rod staked into the frame to restrict half of the spring's movement? Seems like a good chance of mainspring failure by bending the spring over that rod shot after shot.

In addition, the increased spring pressure does the thin sear tip no good--I had one of them chip even under the standard spring pressure. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint