Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Winchester 1885 High Wall Varminter in .220 Swift (Read 3956 times)
ratseye

Re: Winchester 1885 High Wall Varminter in .220 Swift
Reply #15 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
That was a great buy for that money. I had a 264 too and it was a one shot, drop them were they stand killer, even in Africa. That didn't get loaded down at all but the Swift with heavy bullets can run cooler enough with the right powder to stay out of burning up for a long time. I also have a 5.6x61 vom Hofe that runs a home made 77 grain bullet up to 3700 fps and will shoot 1/2" groups doing it. I don't push it up there all the time either but I can. There is a lot of truth to "speed costs". Thanks, ratseye

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Looks like you did just fine ratseye  Grin

"There is a lot of truth to "speed costs". "  Yup, even trying to tip over hjpower rams with a .243 will burn out a throat in short order  Cry

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Dec 10th, 2018 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
ratseye wrote on Dec 10th, 2018 at 7:22pm:
That was a great buy for that money.

And that was in Canadian dollars too of course ...

Smiley

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Dec 22nd, 2018 at 1:34pm
Print Post  
Well, I just got an email notice that a parcel arrived at the house so I think this rifle may have just shown up ... but it's out in Victoria and we're still out in Manitoba until January 4th!  Our next door neighbours are taking care of the mail for us while we're away so it'll just have to sit and wait until we get back home again ...

Cry

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Jan 9th, 2019 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
Well, we got home from Manitoba and I picked up the High Wall from my nearby Postal outlet.  The Unertl looks to be a "small game" 3/4" in 6 power which I will now transplant onto my British proofed Low Wall in .22 WCF since it just plain suits it better.  It has been re-blued and still has some light pitting that wasn't properly filed and polished before it was re-blued.  At some point I'll re-barrel the High Wall from .220 Swift into something more traditional in a lead bullet cartridge.  Maybe if I dig deep enough and get lucky I can find a "pull-off" High Wall barrel locally to transplant onto it, or if I find a pull-off barrel with a rough bore it could be a candidate for a RKS re-bore.  Anyway, for what I paid for this rifle complete with the Unertl it was a great deal ...
« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2019 at 2:50am by Reverend Al »  

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Jan 12th, 2019 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
"Best laid plans of mice and men" ...

Sad

Took a few minutes today to remove the Unertl small game scope off the 1885 High Wall in .220 Swift planning to put it onto the 1885 Low Wall in .22 WCF.  It is already drilled and tapped for Unertl bases, but had plug screws in the 4 holes on the barrel.  Figured I'd swap the bases from the round barrel High Wall onto the round barrel Low Wall since the hole spacing appeared to be the same.  Had trouble getting the plug screw out of the hole closest to the action as it didn't appear to be turning out.  Got it out, but when I went to attach the rear Unertl base I found out that the hole is stripped and the mounting screw just "free-wheels" in the hole.  It looks like I'll have to take it to my gunsmith buddy and get the hole re-tapped to a larger size.  I'll likely get him to re-tap all 4 of the base mounting holes to the same size so that they all match.  Not the end of the world, but it delayed getting that little Unertl scope mounted today so that I could see how it looks on the smaller rifle ...

Sigh ...

IP Logged

jfeldman
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 12:28am
Print Post  
Rev, you might consider using a heli-coil thread repair kit on the one bad hole.  They are available in small sizes from MSC. Possibly other sources as well.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #22 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 2:51am
Print Post  
OK, I'll ask my gunsmith buddy about that.  He might already have access to them?  I'll check and see.  Thanks!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #23 - Jan 13th, 2019 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
Too small for a helicoil to really work well. I drill them out larger and then thread for a plug I make first. Loctite it in the hole, and then drill and tap back to the original thread size.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #24 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks for that, it sounds like a good fix ... I'll suggest it to my gunsmith buddy!  I really like the idea of keeping all 4 holes the same original thread rather than having one "odd-ball" sized hole or re-tapping all 4 of them larger.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 8:51pm
Print Post  
Brownell's makes a tap just for that purpose you just run it in the same hole or all four if you want them all the same. The screws are just a bit over size at 146X48 and I believe # 080-719-112 per doz.  just varify if ordering the tap.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Senior Forum Member

Reply #26 - Jan 17th, 2019 at 11:26pm
Print Post  
+1 works like a charm!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Taking it out to my gunsmith friend on Monday morning ... he's going to take Val's suggestion and plug the stripped hole and re-drill and tap the dressed off plug to match the other 3 original mounting holes.  I'll keep you posted as to how he makes out with it.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Senior Forum Member

Reply #28 - Jan 19th, 2019 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Good luck

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #29 - Jan 21st, 2019 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
A bit of an update.  I guess I need to wear my "close-looker" glasses when I'm trying to work with my old guns ... LOL ...
Took the Low Wall .22 WCF and bases out to my gunsmith buddy this morning and it turns out that base mounting hole in front of the receiver was OK after all ... it was the base mounting screw that was stripped!  He did have to drill out one of the plug screws from a front base hole since it was so badly burred off on top that you couldn't get a screwdriver onto it to thread it out.  He just emailed me and said that it's all ready to go, so I'm picking it up tomorrow morning before I head out to the range to meet a shooting buddy at 12:00 noon so that I can take it along with me and try putting a few rounds through it.
Can't wait ...
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint