Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rising block single shot on ASSRA Facebook page (Read 1453 times)
Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Rising block single shot on ASSRA Facebook page
Feb 10th, 2019 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Has anyone noticed this on the FB page (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

LRF
Senior Forum Member

Re: Rising block single shot on ASSRA Facebook page
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Hmmm....would like to see a description by the creator. Frankly at first blush there are far more things about it that I don't like then like. Both aesthetic and worst possible mechanical limitation, however with out a detailed description I will reserve those functional comments.
On the aesthetics I don't care for the cheek piece detail, very thick recoil pad, front sight barrel ring and also the front swivel ring, last the exposed slide grooves at the junction of front section and rear section looks tacky and could have been done more pleasing to look at. One functional comment, sorry, the grooves look like a dirt trap area causing wear and possibly inhibit smooth operation.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 9:10am
Print Post  
Google Bailey Bradshaw Rifles.  You can see the description of his Rising Block rifle and others.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Haven't seen it before, but rarely go on FB anyway. I went to his web site and watched his video where he describes the action, and his prototype. Although I initially thought it was a bit odd, I changed my mind after watching his video and his description of how the action travels and locks up. With the full length rails or lugs, and the 2 degree rearward travel, it appears to be stronger than I imagined, and should lock up tightly. Unsure about how it will hold up over time with wear and shooting, but looks very interesting to me.
I was surprised at the size of the action, as the first images made me guess it was about the size of a Ruger #1, but appears to be a bit smaller.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rglenz
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 1:06pm
Print Post  
I don't know if anyone remembers Ed Webers business card which said something like,_" guaranteed not to squeak or rattle in the wind", I wonder about this design. What do you hold onto when you open the action? The rifle just looks like it may be clumsy to operate, I would certainly want to handle one before putting any money on the table.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Obviously not designed for BR shooting.   Cheesy

I wonder if it is any stronger or weaker than a break action?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

LRF
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
rglenz wrote on Feb 11th, 2019 at 1:06pm:
I don't know if anyone remembers Ed Webers business card which said something like,_" guaranteed not to squeak or rattle in the wind", I wonder about this design. What do you hold onto when you open the action? The rifle just looks like it may be clumsy to operate, I would certainly want to handle one before putting any money on the table.

I read the website and watched the video, I won't want to take that rifle out in a strong breeze. Smiley
My initial concerns were not dispelled by the description.
RGlenz, I knew Ed and that saying about squeaking and rattling was on his business card. He said he got the wording off an old billboard advertising farm water pump wind mills.

IP Logged

rglenz
Junior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2019 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Now I understand the source, those old windmills made a lot of noise!

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 12:56am
Print Post  
That doesn't appear to be the ASSRA page.

I don't know why Bradshaw dropped his falling block. I thought it a good design, at least from what I'd seen of it on the AccurateReloading.com web site. This replacement seems to be different for the sake of being different.

Karl
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2019 at 8:27pm
Print Post  
ASSRA FB page is where I first saw it.   Shocked

IP Logged

tdmidget
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2019 at 11:59pm
Print Post  
I don't see a "rising block". The "block" should refer to a breech block, which is this contraption is combined with the receiver so that basically everything but the barrel falls. It looks ugly, and awkward. As KWK said, different for the sake of different. Nothing wrong with different if there is some purpose or value there from. Thia has taken away from a falling block where the block and linkage weighing a few ounces drops and substituted dropping half the firearm for no improvement in function.

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2019 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
Quote:
... for no improvement in function.

There is some improvement, I admit. The breech face ends up exposed as much as on a break open, no "high walls" to reach between. Also the firing pin and associated mechanism doesn't have to be stuffed into the fairly small confines of a falling block. It looks to me, though, with two large parts and a fairly short rail, it will be far more likely to bind than a falling block. To be fair, I'd have to try it out, but I'm not making a trip to Texas to do so. I wonder how well it would function keeping it on your shoulder while reloading. I owned a No.1 for a while, and it operated effortlessly with the rifle pressed into your shoulder.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2019 at 10:38pm by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

Bailey Bradshaw
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 20th, 2019 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Greetings Gents

Thought I would chime in on the discussion.

First, I fully understand the design of my Rising block is very different and many are skeptical about some issues. What seems to be the two largest points of concern is the strength and operation of the action. The action is very strong. Engineering analysis shows it to be able to handle upwards of 150,000 psi of case thrust, which is three to four times what an average rimmed medium bore will generate. I have also proofed the prototype action with a 7X57 case loaded completely full of 57gr of H4350 and a 140 gr bullet. It handled it with no issues. ( I hid behind the building with a 30 foot wire attached to the trigger  Wink)

Operation is very easy. Just as easy as any falling block I've handled. Some think the weight of the barrel would make it slow and heavy to open, but in actuality, the frame is dropping away from the barrel block as much as the barrel lifts. It's easy to snap it open.

So far, not one person who has handled it has not liked it. Several have said they were very skeptical and some said they didn't like it at all, until handling the rifle.

I love the action. It's sleek, carries and handles very nimbly and has everything I look for in a stalking rifle. It's not different just to be different. My approach was to make a simple, strong and easy to use stalking rifle that addressed some things I don't like about falling blocks and break actions. I believe I achieved that.

I have addressed a couple of details such as not tapering the frame in a way that exposes the rails of the barrel block. The batch of actions I have on the bench all have that area of the action at full height.

Hopefully I will be able to display at a few shows and some of you will have the opportunity to handle one. I think most will enjoy them.

The first rifles have all proven very accurate too. Sub MOA with open sights.

IP Logged

stevelins
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2019 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
I saw and handled this rifle last week. I thought it would be clumsy to handle also. I was wrong. It is a slim, elegant little rifle that balances well. I think the rising block would grow on me if I shot it some.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint