Poll
Poll Question:
bars   pie

Total votes: 0
« Created by: coljimmy on: Apr 21st, 2019 at 3:05pm »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Paige Lewis (Read 1345 times)
Red Cent

Paige Lewis
Mar 1st, 2019 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
Don't know the gun but I would have bought it.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Re: Paige Lewis
Reply #1 - Mar 3rd, 2019 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I would've bought it too.  The basic gun is a quite scarce Page-Lewis Model C, the so-called "Olympic", as  evidenced by the jazzy little factory-original tang sight.  The frame has been refinished (plated?) and the barrel looks like a replacement; but this circa-1930 brainchild of two former Stevens employees still has a high neatness rating from a design standpoint and, as already mentioned, is not commonly found.  I've always wanted one of their Ballard-like single shots, particularly a Model C, since I stumbled upon a company catalog some 35 years ago.  Unfortunately, since then the only actual rifle to show up in my area has been a sorry-condition Model A, their basic model.  But your example shows that thanks to the internet, there's still hope.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:53pm
Print Post  
I have a shot-out Model A Target and a pretty decent condition Model B Sharpshooter.  The former has no finish on the barrel and the latter has most of the bluing there.  However, the receivers on both are bright metal with no indication of further finishing.

I also have an action for a Model B Sharpshooter, most of an action for a Model A Target and a frame for a Model C Olympic, all of which show the remains (at least) of bluing.

Maybe the action finish was optional; what remains of the bluing on the receivers does not look fragile or easily worn or rubbed off.

Most of the rifles and actions say "PAT AP'L'D FOR" but the Model B Sharpshooter rifle and the Olympic frame says "PAT'D APR 25, 1923."

Lowest serial number is in the 1700s; highest in the 7300s, and the Model B rifle has no number on it at all, but does have that little "sun" stamping; the circle with six radiating lines, on frame and barrel.  Looks like a "star-gauge" mark.

Weird how regional the things seem to be.  Not common, but 20 years of gun show attendance in the West turned up plenty enough for me.  A friend found a good shape Model C Olympic, minus the tin tang sight, and I found the sight for him at the Las Vegas Gun Show.

The rare one, for me at least, is the bolt-action Model D Reliant, a specimen I finally found, sans bolt.  Anybody got a spare Model D bolt?  Smiley

The one pictured in the auction is nicely "period" with that old Mossberg scope.  Must have been some lucky kid's pride and joy.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
I've got an A, B and C. The B is the best condition. I got the C without the tang sight and got one on ebay some years ago. I like the simplicity of them with all the works in the breech block aka the Ballard. They might have made it if Page hadn't died. He was the money man and Lewis was the manufacturing guy. Savage bought them and sold the last of the inventory. I have one with the SVG on the buttstock.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Deadeye bly,

What was the serial number range of the SVG Page-Lewis, if I may ask?  Was wondering if they got up to 10,000.

I saw an advertisement for them that said “Pre-War Quality at an Affordable Price,” or something like that.  The method of construction was certainly ingenious, as was the design.  No foundry needed.

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 8:17am
Print Post  
The one with the SVG logo is a model 50 Springfield Jr. bolt action. My B model serial number is in the 7400's. C serial is in the 1300's.

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Bent_Ramrod wrote on Mar 4th, 2019 at 4:53pm:
Most of the rifles and actions say "PAT AP'L'D FOR" but the Model B Sharpshooter rifle and the Olympic frame says "PAT'D APR 25, 1923."

Pat. no., if you ever care to look it up, is #1,459,108, which pertained to the block & riveted frame.  Lewis definitely was the "brains" of the partnership--he held at least 19 other pats., most of them assigned to other gun makers, like Stevens & WRA.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 4:25pm
Print Post  
I'm lucky enough  to have a Model A, virtually mint.  s/n 3375 for what that's worth.  Brilliantly simple-to-manufacture design, executed in much better materials than 99% of boys' rifles.  One of the very few guns I own that are literally too nice to shoot.

Page was Irving Page, previously President of Stevens before it was taken over by Westinghouse.  Lewis had also worked at Stevens, as a manufacturing superintendent if I recall correctly.  Founded in 1923, the company would have done well IMHO, if Page had not died before it really got rolling. 

Cornell has a reprint of their brochure, if you're interested.
« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2019 at 4:32pm by uscra112 »  

IP Logged

XLIV

Reply #8 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Found a D at local show last week. $60
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2019 at 1:43pm by XLIV »  

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2019 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
That's a virtuous bargain!  Here's my Page-Lewis accumulation, minus the boltless Model D:

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 11:47pm
Print Post  
Went to an auction yesterday, and came home with a complete Model D in fairly good condition.  First 4-5 inches of the bore are rough, but it's shootable.  Not nearly as neat as the A/B/C models.  Only the contemporary fad for those newfangled bolt action military rifles can explain their having made one at all.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Apr 21st, 2019 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
I bought a Paige Lewis D in 1963 at a trade day for $10.00, minus a firing pin but had a ring in an otherwise good barrel.  The stock was very good.  With a hack say, hammer and a ten penny nail, I made a firing pin and kept it for 20 years before it got away from me.  Had to fire harden the firing pin every 5 years.  Got better tools now.

James

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint