Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Long Range Muzzleloader (Read 1849 times)
Lincoln Creek
Junior Forum Member

Long Range Muzzleloader
Mar 6th, 2019 at 7:14am
Print Post  
I’m trying to get into shooting at some long range muzzle loader matches and am looking for a rifle. I know about the Gibbs and about the Ferriss that Lee Shaver can build(about a 10 to 15 year wait time), but was wondering what other options I have? Anyone else building them that are competitive?

IP Logged

CptCurl
Junior Forum Member

Re: Long Range Muzzleloader
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Here's the very best of the breed, just waiting for your bid in the upcoming auction:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

To die for!!!!

Curl

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 9:39am
Print Post  
    The Pedersoli "GIBBS" is an excellent-shooting rifle, tho the sights leave something to be desired.   They offer a "Goodwin" type rear sight, which I have seen but not used, which would be functional as a competition sight. It is not feasible to use a Soule-type sight, as the tang is much higher than the tang of a cartridge rifle.   The windgage front sights turn out not to be very useful in modern match conditions.
     There are not many opportunities for competing with them.  The US LRML championships in Phoenix are just over, and the big shoot in Oak Ridge TN is coming up in a few weeks.   Some BP long range matches for ctg guns are "ML-friendly"; some are not.
      The ML rifles will shoot as well as the ctg rifles, but owing to the longer time between shots, are harder to score as well with.   In effect, every shot is the "first shot", as you have to re-dope the conditions again, while with a ctg rifle, you can shoot as fast as the pullers can work the targets.   Still, the first time I competed in LRML (2003 East Coast Regional),  the 3 of us with Pedersoli ML rifles beat ALL the shooters of cartridge rifles.   

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Lincoln Creek
Junior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 10:46am
Print Post  
Just wanting to get one to try to compete at the 2024 Creedmoor.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 11:02am
Print Post  
Try to contact Rod England.  He is supposed to be making kits for the Alexander Henry LR muzzleloader. He took over from Don Brown's widow after he passed away.  They make into a beautiful rifle when done by the right person.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Another to try would be Rick Weber who is well known and I believe is running the anniversary match.  He might be able to put you in touch with somebody that may have a used rifle.  Also, don't rule out a Billinghurst underhammer.  Not the traditional lines but they do shoot.  Ray Hanson won the world match last year with one.  Any good smith should be able to put one together for you.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2019 at 11:09am by Old-Win »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #5 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 11:17am
Print Post  
The Pedersoli Gibbs rifles hold a lot of match wins on the International level where ML matches are more common than they are here. They've proven to outshoot numerous custom built ML that cost much more.

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
WOW! that Alexander Henry rifle at auction is one magnifcent rifle. I have to hand it to the Brits. Half the price of a good pickup these days!

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:45pm
Print Post  
Lee Shaver used to make a replacement tang sight for the Pedersoli Gibbs rifle and probably still does ,  to the best of my knowledge that rifle would be about your best, and only choice for an off the shelf M/L long range rifle, not terribly expensive either.
Mike.

IP Logged

Lincoln Creek
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 7:50am
Print Post  
Thanks for info.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 7th, 2019 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Back up.

IP Logged

CptCurl
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 7:14am
Print Post  
rkba2nd wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 1:55pm:
WOW! that Alexander Henry rifle at auction is one magnifcent rifle. I have to hand it to the Brits. Half the price of a good pickup these days!

Yeah, that Henry is the epitome of a classic target rifle.  Alexander Henry made his name with these rifles.  He showed up on the scene and started winning matches.  Sold a lot of rifles!

Maybe half the price of a pickup truck, but in ten years the pickup is junk.  I'd rather have the rifle and hitch-hike.

The rifle will shoot as well today as it did in 1861.  If I were a dyed-in-the-wool target shooter I would mortgage my home to buy this rifle.

Curl

IP Logged

CW

Reply #11 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 10:16am
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Mar 6th, 2019 at 5:45pm:
Lee Shaver used to make a replacement tang sight for the Pedersoli Gibbs rifle and probably still does ,  to the best of my knowledge that rifle would be about your best, and only choice for an off the shelf M/L long range rifle, not terribly expensive either.
Mike.

Along with the rear sight that Lee Shaver makes, Steve Baldwin makes a sight base for the Baldwin LR staff for your Pedersoli Gibbs rifle. One rear sight and multiple bases. That is what I have. Ray Hanson got him to make a base about 2005, Steve jokingly complained about having to make one and I think I got the second one. They work well on the Gibbs.

Order your dream ML LR rifle now! Or at least put a down payment on the build. Also, May I suggest; Just buy a P.Gibbs NOW so you can start to shoot and learn about the ML game while you wait for the custom built rifle.

Joe Hepsworth was about the most dedicated supplier for this (LRML) sport. He had it all. I used to cast bullets for him to supply his business - primarily GG 0.448"+ for the Gibbs. PP bullets too but I refused to patch them all so there was much less demand for the PP bullets.

The two bullets were  cast from Brooks molds I ordered with identical nose profiles and bodies to the extent a GG and PP bullet could be.
Shooting groups from the long lines on the same day with both bullets, sight changes ( elevation) weren't needed.

I know it is common knowledge that PP bullets are more slippery in air than GG bullets but in my limited trials that did not turn out to show that.
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2019 at 11:02am by CW »  

IP Logged

Lincoln Creek
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 10:22am
Print Post  
I'm leaning toward buying a new Gibbs or finding a used one, and getting a build going on a custom one.

It should be a lot of fun.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Are the ML going to faster twists and heavier bullets like the BPCR is doing?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Mar 8th, 2019 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Cpt crl - Exactly the point I was making, but good luck hitch hiking these days. Unless you can afford both, some are forced to be a little more practical. If you win the rifle, please let us know.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint