Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 38 35 Stevens at long range (Read 814 times)
Bobduck

38 35 Stevens at long range
Mar 12th, 2019 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
In the April 2018 issue of the "Single Shot Exchange" I published an article on a cartridge I had developed which was very similar to the 38 35 Stevens which I called the 38 35 Riecke.  Below is a link to that article.

I have now been shooting this cartridge for two years and I can now provide some specific informantion on it's performance.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RSW
Oldtimer

Re: 38 35 Stevens at long range
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Your article was an interesting read and your experiment certainly had a positive outcome. Nice job.
In the interest of squeezing a bit more accuracy out of your "new" cartridge, have you considered breech seating your bullets? While it may at first thought not seem compatible with your longer range game, if you use a Russ Weber breech seating tool for your 44 1/2 action, you can load even from the prone position. Your .050 card wad could be pressed into the case mouth to keep powder from spilling. Seat the bullet about 1/16" ahead of the case mouth.
Not trying to tell you how to shoot, just a thought that might get a little better groups from your .38-35 Riecke.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
There are indeed two Americas. Simply put, it is not the haves and have nots. The two Americans are in reality divided into those who do and those who don't.
IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:34pm
Print Post  
That's a excellent write up. I enjoyed reading it, very much!

Another powder to try, would be AA #9 types, such as WC820, H108 and #9C. They are what most shooters use in short cases.

I would also be interested in how your rifle might shoot Breech seated.

I'm not sure of what the case length was but, a East Coast schuetzen shooter, was experimenting with a shorten 38 cal case, a few years ago.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bobduck

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
RSW wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:21pm:
Your article was an interesting read and your experiment certainly had a positive outcome. Nice job.
In the interest of squeezing a bit more accuracy out of your "new" cartridge, have you considered breech seating your bullets? While it may at first thought not seem compatible with your longer range game, if you use a Russ Weber breech seating tool for your 44 1/2 action, you can load even from the prone position. Your .050 card wad could be pressed into the case mouth to keep powder from spilling. Seat the bullet about 1/16" ahead of the case mouth.
Not trying to tell you how to shoot, just a thought that might get a little better groups from your .38-35 Riecke.

I have considered breech seating with this cartridge.  I breech seat with my 32 20 CPA with good results.  But if I do so with this case length I then have the same problem of extra space as I had with the original 38 55.

So I'm considering doing the same thing but with the case shortened to 1.0 or 1.1 inches to eliminate the extra air space and having the chamber throated for breech seating.

Below are links to two webpages that have videos of my shooting this cartridge last October at my family homestead range.

These pages have both an MP4 video and a youtube video which are both the same.

For these videos I edited out the time between shots while I reloaded.
In the 750 yard video I deliberately set my sights to miss the target so I could see the bullet impact points.

There is also an image where I plotted each impact point.   I was only interested in the vertical spread of the impact points so I held directly on the target for each shot.  There was a good wind blowing from the left so there is significant horizontal spread.

You will see all of my impacts were within 16 inches vertically which matches the standard deviation figure I'm now getting with this cartridge of around 3 to 4 fps.

IP Logged

Bobduck

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Mar 12th, 2019 at 2:34pm:
That's a excellent write up. I enjoyed reading it, very much!

Another powder to try, would be AA #9 types, such as WC820, H108 and #9C. They are what most shooters use in short cases.

I would also be interested in how your rifle might shoot Breech seated.

I'm not sure of what the case length was but, a East Coast schuetzen shooter, was experimenting with a shorten 38 cal case, a few years ago.

Frank

I use AA #9 in my 32 20 CPA but it is too fast for this cartridge.

I did correspond with someone a few months ago who had shortened the 38 55 to 1.5 inches and was breech seating with that case.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 12th, 2019 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Interesting article.  Congrats on a job well done.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint