Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Original Buchel Meister Schuetzen Rifle - 8.15x46R (Read 1657 times)
Old_No7
Junior Forum Member

Original Buchel Meister Schuetzen Rifle - 8.15x46R
Mar 14th, 2019 at 7:26am
Print Post  
I recently sold off an old Schuetzen Martini when someone at the range made me an offer I couldn't refuse...

That sale allowed me to upgrade to another German single-shot rifle that's in much better condition and has some nicer features too.

Thanks to the assistance of those on the German Gun Collectors Association site, I've identified all the proof marks on this new-to-me "Original Buchel Meister" Schuetzen Rifle, "Model 7226".  That # was listed in an old Buchel catalog as an:
"Original-Meister-Buchse DRGM with automatic latch, 3-lever trigger set, Tyroler stock, without engraving."

There is a lot of excellent information about Buchel rifles in the superb "Alte Scheibenwaffen" books (3-volume set), as I got them from the GGCA after joining. The writer of the Buchel's said:

"Of all the German Schuetzen Rifles, the Buchel Meister is, in my opinion, the finest of the lot but the virtues of its design and the quality of its construction have been virtually ignored by arms writers.  The Bushel Meister, unlike most of the other Schuetzen actions, appears to have been made only by, or under the direction of, the Buchel firm.  Buchel was one of the foremost makers of fine target rifles and pistols from around the turn of the century until the late 1920s. It is a true falling-block in the tradition of the Sharps and Winchester whose clever design is the ultimate in simplicity for this kind of action."

I'm pleased with this rifle and impressed with its design and features too; plus the case colors and finish are in great shape for its age.  I need to get it out shooting again before I can comment on its accuracy or the load I am using (stop-ring 180gr bullet, resized .30-30 cases and SR4759).  For sure, shooting a Tyrolean-stocked Schuetzen Rifle off the bench -- for sighting-in -- is an exercise in itself, but it's been a fun journey so far.

This rifle was proofed back in September of 1925 at the Zella-Mehlis Germany proof house.

I can't wait to get her* back out to the range again for some more serious load development work.

...* "She" doesn't have a name yet, but at 13.6 pounds...  She's at risk of being called -- "Das Stählerne Mädchen!"

"The Steel Maiden"

Tight groups.

Old No7

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Original Buchel Meister Schuetzen Rifle - 8.15x46R
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 8:47am
Print Post  
Very nice rifle! I have to steer clear of the German and European schuetzen rifles as I could see myself easily enticed into collecting them.

IP Logged

rodneys
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Very nice rifle. Marlinguy, it is a slippery slope once you get started.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 10:07am
Print Post  
That's my fear too Rodney. With limited I would get into them and sell all my other single shots to fund new toys. Not a trip I want to take.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 12:14pm
Print Post  
If you like fine rifles, the German Schuetzen rifles are the top of the line and way under valued, for what you get, when you buy one.

The average German Schuetzen rifle has fit, finish and workmanship, comparable to only the best American rifles, built by the most noted American gunsmiths and they were built to shoot and not to be Safe Queens. Some of the engraving, isn't to my taste but, that recently shown Martini, with the inlay on the top of the barrel, is a work of art!!

People always talk about how awkward they are to shoot (at least with the Tyrolian stock) so, they don't shoot them. They aren't awkward if you use a vertical OH stance but, if your used to leaning into your 30/30, when you shoot OH, then you have to adapt. You have to let yourself mold into the stock and not fight it! My worst problem, is forgetting to put my ear plugs in, before shooting mine. Ear Muff's will not work.

Off the bench, you need a V shaped front bag on a taller front rest of at least 8". Your rear bag, needs to be adjusted to fit the angle of the lower area of the stock and for me, I need the butt plate, to be clear of the rear of the bench.

Old_No7, thank you for showing us your beautiful rifle and I know you will enjoy everything about it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Charlie Dell considered the Buchel to be one of the best actions made. Congratulations on your new purchase and all of the enjoyable times it will provide.

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
A classic!

IP Logged

Reverend Al
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
It seems these old German Schuetzens are coming out of the woodwork lately!

Wink

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't quite reached my "Expiry" date yet ...

IP Logged

Old_No7
Junior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 10:32pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all for the responses and encouragement. Yes, I do think the workmanship is very high on these, especially if you can find one in good shape.

My late father had introduced me to single-shot rifles, as he had some Maynards, Ballards, High Walls and a Martini 22. My brothers got the others and I got a nice Martini Mdl 13 with heavy barrel, and the twin of his .38-55 High Wall (Miroku; as we had bought consecutive serial #s years before he passed). I can picture him now, looking down on me from above saying: "Well boy, what have you got there now? Bring it over here so I can have a closer look at it..." I'm very sure he would have some trouble holding it (as he shot off the bench only for the last years of his life, and we would carry his rifles and change his targets for him), but he would be pretty pleased with it.

Gosh, 11 years later... How I miss him............

frnkeore wrote on Mar 14th, 2019 at 12:14pm:
People always talk about how awkward they are to shoot (at least with the Tyrolian stock) so, they don't shoot them. They aren't awkward if you use a vertical OH stance but, if your used to leaning into your 30/30, when you shoot OH, then you have to adapt. You have to let yourself mold into the stock and not fight it! My worst problem, is forgetting to put my ear plugs in, before shooting mine. Ear Muff's will not work.

Thanks Frank.

I agree, you don't shoulder a Tyrolean stock -- as much as you "climb" into it. Once I'm in position, it feels very solid, but it's not a "quick shoulder and fire", for sure.

I will keep the forum updated on my work -- and FUN -- with this rifle.

Waidmannsheil.

Old No7

"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH&&

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Thank you for sharing the memories you have about your Dad mine is going on 98 years now and like you I will miss him dearly when his time arrives.

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Snap. I actually have a German scope with a mount that slides on to the barrel rib. Scopes were not used competitively and so I wonder why this was made. It is the only one that I have ever seen.
Fred

IP Logged

Fred Boulton
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 5:45am
Print Post  
Picture of complete rifle.
Fred

IP Logged

Old_No7
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Fred Boulton wrote on Mar 15th, 2019 at 5:45am:
Picture of complete rifle.
Fred

Very nice Fred!

Old No7

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 1:01pm
Print Post  
Millet used to make scope rings that clamped the rails on those German schuetzen rifles. I believe they were designated for some .22 rimfire, but I discovered them when I owned an Aydt and they fit great! I put a newer 1" tube scope on mine just for load development and left it on since it worked so well!

IP Logged

Old_No7
Junior Forum Member

Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2019 at 7:31am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Mar 15th, 2019 at 1:01pm:
Millet used to make scope rings that clamped the rails on those German schuetzen rifles. I believe they were designated for some .22 rimfire, but I discovered them when I owned an Aydt and they fit great! I put a newer 1" tube scope on mine just for load development and left it on since it worked so well!

For those interested in:
"Scope rings that clamped to the rails on those German schuetzen rifles"

I recently got a set (of bases, not rings) that does the same -- and mounted them on the rail of a Marocchi (Italy) 12ga over .222 Rem Combination Gun. They are very solid and work fine, for a very reasonable price.

For those interested, check out Pyramid Air (yes, the site for air guns) for those; search for "Dovetail to Weaver adapter".

I see Amazon has some too.

Old No7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint