Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic high wall spare parts (Read 323 times)
critter68

high wall spare parts
Mar 15th, 2019 at 7:52am
Print Post  
what spare parts for a high wall should a guy have in his range box?  I like to be prepared and I don't have the means to make parts

ASSRA #12031
NRA LIFE #194353342

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: high wall spare parts
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 8:47am
Print Post  
If it's an original plain trigger, all you really need is a spare leaf spring and firing pin and a tiny screwdriver that will fit the small screw that holds the lever pin as well as a screwdriver to take off the fore end and remove the leaf spring. If it's a set trigger, I carry the small springs that are needed for the set trigger. Otherwise it's pretty indestructible.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 9:46am
Print Post  
I put over thirty thousand rounds through the third barrel on my High Wall and never had a parts failure.
Who knows how many rounds went through the two barrels on the 1885 before I obtained the action.

However I have seen others snap their firing pin - usually from missing the small firing pin return spring; or having a weak spring to return the firing pin, or not half cocking the hammer before opening the block.

A solution is to cut a small groove to form a ramp for the firing pin to slide down - to prevent it from catching on the edge of the barrel chamber.

So it is always recommended to have a replacement firing pin, a replacement firing pin return coil spring and a replacement hammer spring - flat or coil depending which yours has.

Some people start having problems igniting their primers.

The spring can weaken and you can get more force with a new hammer spring.

But on occasion a hammer spring can break as well.

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2019 at 9:51am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Schuetzendave wrote on Mar 15th, 2019 at 9:46am:
I put over thirty thousand rounds through the third barrel on my High Wall and never had a parts failure.
Who knows how many rounds went through the two barrels on the 1885 before I obtained the action.

However I have seen others snap their firing pin - usually from missing the small firing pin return spring; or having a weak spring to return the firing pin, or not half cocking the hammer before opening the block.

A solution is to cut a small groove to form a ramp for the firing pin to slide down - to prevent it from catching on the edge of the barrel chamber.

All of the originals I have worked on will cam the firing pin back as soon as the lever starts to go down. The only ones I have seen with a spring have been converted someplace along the way.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

critter68

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 11:31am
Print Post  
thanks guys

ASSRA #12031
NRA LIFE #194353342

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2019 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Yes all my HighWalls had the Mann-Neidner firing pin conversions to provide a smaller firing pin for use with smokeless powders.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint