Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Paper patch questions (Read 802 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

Paper patch questions
Mar 27th, 2019 at 5:23am
Print Post  
I just had a thought about trying PP bullets on my 40/65.
My questions are as follows.
My barrel has a groove dia of .408" measured
The bore dia is supposed to be .400" , not measured.
I tried wrapping one of my greasers with 9 lb onion skin paper and it increased the dia by .006". On that basis if I order a BACO PP mold that drops a .392" bullet that should work out OK right ?.
I figured that if is a bit loose I can always increase the dia with slightly thicker paper.
The next part of my plan was to muzzle load the bullets rather than breech seat them, onto a loaded case. Perhaps using a lubricated wad under the bullet.
I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been down this path in order to avoid re inventing the wheel.
Mike.

IP Logged

Ranch13

Re: Paper patch questions
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 8:36am
Print Post  
You'll most likely be happier with the results using a .396 BACO money bullet cast from 16-1, and wrapped in a patch cut from Seth Cole 55w or 55Y paper no wider than 7/8 inch.
You'll need to wipe between shots to find the best and most consistent accuracy.

IP Logged

kkid66

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 10:04am
Print Post  
I like to wrap a little over bore size and size down to slight drag into the bore. I use a .4495 custom size die for my 45-70 Krieger barrel.                       Muzzle loading with a chase wrap is interesting but I did not have a false muzzle and never got into it much.

IP Logged

kkid66

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 10:56am
Print Post  
ckeck this out
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Mck,

I believe youre trying to make something really simple pretty difficult.
The bullet patched to bore dia; with thin paper, no issues.  But no need at all to muzzle load that bullet, or even breech seat.  Just fill the cartridge case wit powder, seat a (thick) card wad, make sure you have about 5mm of space remaining for the bore-dia. patched bullet, and seat the lot from the breech end, as it was intended to.  Thoroughly wipe between shots to get a clean and dry bore, and you're good to go.  No need for that lube wad, it might actually reduce accuracy.

IP Logged

Spud
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
Mick,
I have a KAL adjustable length/weight .392" mould that you could cast some projectiles with to test. Happy to lend it to you. I can't get out to the range at the moment so I will drop it off at Jack's & he'll give it to you.
Regards
Pete

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
KKID66
Interesting video I've been to Friendship and watched the slug gun shoot, even had a few shots out of Phil Orem's slug rifle, Phil passed away quite some time ago. I also knew Branch Meanley from when he ran G M Barrel works, I presume the lady in the video video is his daughter as his wife's name was Holly.
I'm currently trying to isolate my accuracy problems with the 40/65 to find out if the problem is either the barrel or the loose chamber. This is why I have tried breech seating against fixed ammo, and now M/L the projectiles Vs Fixed or breech seated.
The trials continue.
Mike.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgium
When I get the mold offered by Spud ( Peter ) I intend to try it three different ways, ie, breech seated, M/L, and fixed.
Peter lives reasonably close to me and I should have the mold in a week or so, I will keep you posted as to the results.
Mike.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Mar 27th, 2019 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Ranch13
The only PP paper I have is what was leftover from my experiments with my 45/90 so I will have to go with that,
A .396" slug would patch up to about .402" which would probably make it too big to to thumb seat in the muzzle of my rifle, no doubt OK for fixed or BS. My 40cal mold collection stands at 11 so far,  thanks to Peters kind offer I have avoided buying #11.
I will report back after testing is completed, perhaps testing never really ends does it.
Mike.

IP Logged

blackpowder
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
I don't know what you are looking for accuracy wise, but I shoot fixed pp in my 40-70 high wall and have no problem with the rams, turkeys, pigs and chickens.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Mar 28th, 2019 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Blackpowder
Accuracy wise I'm looking for groups using Wano black powder of between 1" and 2"max at 100 m.
Mike.

IP Logged

boommer
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
395410E Baco and Baco paper with egg whites and water or Rooster lube will wrap at .401 shoots well in in my browning hi-wall and Sharps with a Ron Long chamber. I use a 30-1 mix and don't have any problem  slump they fly well and get good paper shreds.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 8:46am
Print Post  
Boomer
I should have the PP bullet mold tomorrow and the experimenting will commence then.
In the meantime my Lyman neck sizing die has arrived and now I can neck size the cases for my fixed ammo and then use the expander plug for a nice slip fit with my .408" bullet.
Previous experiments with the Lyman taper crimp die didn't show much of an improvement, hopefully this neck die will work better.
Mike.

IP Logged

Yellowhouse

Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Somewhere in that equation you might want to consider your brass neck thickness.

IP Logged

Yellowhouse

Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2019 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Somewhere in that equation you might want to consider your brass neck thickness.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint