Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Remington No. 7 Rolling Block (Read 1776 times)
Crooked_Creek
Junior Forum Member

Remington No. 7 Rolling Block
Apr 3rd, 2019 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Anyone here have good familiarity with the No. 7 Rolling Blocks, both rifle and pistol? I've been trying to help another individual on another forum to identify what he has. He has both a pistol and a rifle. The rifle appears to have been professionally modified (fancied up?) with a stock change and a hooked butt plate. He has photos. If anyone can help, I'll direct him to join this forum and post the photos.

IP Logged

kensmachine
Senior Forum Member

Re: Remington No. 7 Rolling Block
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 9:41am
Print Post  
I am sure there are a few guys here that could help Ken

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 11:14am
Print Post  
Photos please
40 R0d

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 12:01pm
Print Post  
I don't know of any pistols that would be classified as a "#7 Rolling Block"? The #7 was based on the Rolling Block pistol receiver, but they were all rifles. There were some target versions of the Rolling Block pistol that had more similarity to the #7 rifle, but still were not a #7.
I've seen a number of original #7 rifles, and also several really well done fakes built from Rolling Block pistols. I'd love to see images of this pair of rifle and pistol combinations to get an idea of what they might be!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Crooked_Creek
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 12:01pm:
I don't know of any pistols that would be classified as a "#7 Rolling Block"? The #7 was based on the Rolling Block pistol receiver, but they were all rifles. There were some target versions of the Rolling Block pistol that had more similarity to the #7 rifle, but still were not a #7.
I've seen a number of original #7 rifles, and also several really well done fakes built from Rolling Block pistols. I'd love to see images of this pair of rifle and pistol combinations to get an idea of what they might be!

My nomenclature is apparently wrong on the pistol. The photo of it appears to be the same action as the No. 7 rifle. He posted on The Remington Society site yesterday, but as of right now, he has had no responses. I'll try copying the photo image address from that site, let's see if it works. He did not post photos of the pistol, we'll have to work on that. I think I saw your handle as a member on that site(?).

If this comes through, the pistol is in it.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
Oh my goodness, Is this an example of someone taking a several thousand dollar rifle and turning it into a several hundred dollar rifle?
Probably done long ago, still a shame but does make an interesting pair.
Chuck

IP Logged

LRF
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 2:16pm
Print Post  
Chuckster wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 1:31pm:
Oh my goodness, Is this an example of someone taking a several thousand dollar rifle and turning it into a several hundred dollar rifle?
Probably done long ago, still a shame but does make an interesting pair.
Chuck

Agreed, such a shame

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
From a collector's viewpoint, what was done to the rifle certainly is a crying shame.  However, the stock work looks better than average and, at least to me, has a certain charm reflective of when, for whom, and possibly even where it was done.  Were it my rifle, I'd be tempted to restore the action's cosmetics, see what I could do to improve the tang-stock join, and maybe consider slimming down the forearm.  On the other hand, were it simply left as it is, I wouldn't object; what the gun is now is, after all, part of its history.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Years ago I had Reinhart Fajen restock a shotgun for me, their work was nice and they did very similar checkering, and so the buttstock may have been made by Fajen ?Quien Sabe?
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2019 at 5:33pm by Schutzenbob »  

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
For the life of me I can't locate the post at the Remington Society forum? I am a member there, but not sure where the question was posted of this #7?
Yes, it is a true #7 from what I see, but unfortunately it's been hot blued, and had the ivory inserts in stock and forearm are later additions. Still it isn't so abused or altered that it couldn't be resurrected.
The pistol is of course the Rolling Block pistol, but need more info to determine what caliber it is, and what markings are on it to figure out exactly which model it is.

IP Logged

Crooked_Creek
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:16pm:
For the life of me I can't locate the post at the Remington Society forum? I am a member there, but not sure where the question was posted of this #7?
Yes, it is a true #7 from what I see, but unfortunately it's been hot blued, and had the ivory inserts in stock and forearm are later additions. Still it isn't so abused or altered that it couldn't be resurrected.
The pistol is of course the Rolling Block pistol, but need more info to determine what caliber it is, and what markings are on it to figure out exactly which model it is.

The Remington Society thread is under Remington Rifles RR Pre-1899, Second thread down, titled 'Another ID' by Hooknline.
I believe he said both firearms are 22 LR.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
The Rem #7 RB rifle was based on the 1871 ARMY pistol frame.
The tang sight shown in your picure appears to be home-made, when compared to the Lyman RA tang sight that was standard and produced only for the #7.
The forearm wood is much too bulky when compared to the slim and trim shaping of the original #7 forearm. Your pictue doesn't show the entire prong buttplate (there were a couple styles used), but from what is shown in the picture, the upper prong looks a bit too short (hard to tell for sure) compared to the one that is on my #7 rifle, and makes me suspect that the wood set on your friends rifle may have been made up afterwards.
Have no idea what the added-on strap with two screws that is shown above the hammer pivot pin is for.
Also, it appears that the front of the trigger shown in the picture is smooth, while the original #7 trigger on my #7 rifle has a checkered surface.
The barrel on my rifle is part octagon, part round. What roll marks are shown on the barrel of your friends rifle?
I posted a picture of my #7 on this forum long ago, before the big software update that occurred and the member's map was lost, and don't know if it's still in the old posts or has disappeared with other old files.
« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2019 at 4:33pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #12 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
If the pistol is a .22 rimfire, it would usually indicate a Model 1891 variation. Normally with a half octagon barrel in 10", but 8" and 12" were also optional. Without the half octagon barrel it might have started life as a larger caliber, and been lined to .22RF, or rebarreled to .22RF. I have one that was rebarreled to .32-20 caliber by somebody.
The Rolling Block pistols in original shape can be fairly desirable, but if modified they are simply fun shooters, with much less value. Since the one pictured has some aftermarket modern sights, I'd guess a rebarrel, or modifications to factory barrel.

IP Logged

jfeldman
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
I recently saw one of these pistols that was re-barreled by somebody................. H.M.Pope is stamped on the round barrel.  Left hand rifling and gain twist.

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

terry buffum

Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2019 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
The serial number on the rifle will show  if it was originally a #7 or if the rifle is made post factory from one  of the pistols.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint