Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Remington No. 7 Rolling Block (Read 2312 times)
OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Re: Remington No. 7 Rolling Block
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2019 at 3:09pm
Print Post  
For all of you guy's. In the latest copy of the Single Shot Exchange there is a center fold article on the Number 7 Rifle. A really nice condition with some back ground. Four pages of good color pictures. Looks to me to be a re-finished piece, but not sure. It is in 32-20 caliber. HTH Regards, FITZ.
OLD TUCK. Wink

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 6th, 2019 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
Crooked_Creek wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:47pm:
The Remington Society thread is under Remington Rifles RR Pre-1899, Second thread down, titled 'Another ID' by Hooknline.
I believe he said both firearms are 22 LR.

I just checked that out and it seems that it was IDed, as being a pistol frame.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Crooked_Creek
Junior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:55am
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Apr 6th, 2019 at 8:09pm:
Crooked_Creek wrote on Apr 3rd, 2019 at 3:47pm:
The Remington Society thread is under Remington Rifles RR Pre-1899, Second thread down, titled 'Another ID' by Hooknline.
I believe he said both firearms are 22 LR.

I just checked that out and it seems that it was IDed, as being a pistol frame.

Frank

You're right, I just looked over there and that was the consensus conclusion because of the 'missing screws' but.....? What's really interesting is the pistol appearing in the link below, that was also part of his wife's inheritance. That 'pistol' has the screws on the frame and the block that are noted as 'missing' on the rifle, and thusly meaning it's not a No. 7 rifle. Does it then follow that the 'pistol' is in fact a No. 7 rifle action that has been converted to a pistol?? Undecided Undecided Cry Cry

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Crooked Creek, the pistol in your linked picture isn't missing the screw for the extractor. I can clearly see the screw in your picture. But it is indeed missing the same screw on the #7 clone rifle.
The pistols were made in different eras, so some will have the sliding extractor, and some wont. But the #7 rifle will always have the earlier sliding extractor.
Then there's that plate with two screws on the left side near the block that this clone has, which no #7 would have had.

IP Logged

Crooked_Creek
Junior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 8:49am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 5:24pm:
Crooked Creek, the pistol in your linked picture isn't missing the screw for the extractor. I can clearly see the screw in your picture. But it is indeed missing the same screw on the #7 clone rifle.
The pistols were made in different eras, so some will have the sliding extractor, and some wont. But the #7 rifle will always have the earlier sliding extractor.
Then there's that plate with two screws on the left side near the block that this clone has, which no #7 would have had.

marlinguy, I didn't do a very good job of wording my response/question. What I was trying to say was that it appeared to me that the pistol did, in fact, have the two screws that were missing on the No. 7 clone, with the question being; Does that indicated the pistol started life as a No. 7 rifle?
I thought the plate on the side of the rifle may have been a 'cover' (of sorts) of mounting screw holes (and maybe something else under it), of an attempt at a side mounted sight of some kind somewhere along the way (?).
Of all the photos I could find of all models and ages of Rolling Blocks, I never saw anything resembling that plate or the two screw holes beneath it.
By the way, thank you, and the others, for your knowledge, time, and diligence in answering the questions for Hooknline.
Regardless of any disappointment that neither the rifle or pistol are 'original', they are still pretty neat firearms....I wish I had them! Smiley

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 10:57am
Print Post  
CC, both the #7 clone, and the pistol have the two lower screws that hold the trigger plate. The #7 clone doesn't have the extractor retaining screw, but the pistol does. The clone also has that plate with two screws, and without examining the gun I have no idea what it might have been for?
The general shape of the receiver tells me it likely began life as a 1867 Navy, or 1871 Army. The gentleman on the Rem. site mentioned a NY State Rolling Block, but I couldn't find anything in my references of a NY State Rolling Block pistol, and the NY State rifles are much larger framed #1 rifles.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Is that an old S&W adjustable rear sight (with the height of the leaf reduced) that is mounted on top of that rolling block pistol?

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 6:15pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 4:29pm:
Is that an old S&W adjustable rear sight (with the height of the leaf reduced) that is mounted on top of that rolling block pistol?

Can't tell without a better angle in the picture? A view from the top might show the checkering S&W used, and reveal what it is.

IP Logged

Crooked_Creek
Junior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 10:41am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 6:15pm:
BP wrote on Apr 8th, 2019 at 4:29pm:

Can't tell without a better angle in the picture? A view from the top might show the checkering S&W used, and reveal what it is.

I suspect this will have to remain an 'unknown'. The firearms owner, 'Hooknline', has not appeared on these pages (yet?). He has seen the answers provided on The Remington Society forum and seemed satisfied on his last visit on Friday 4-6. He is the one with the ability to take additional photos that could show additional details.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint