Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) stevens 44 in 25/21 (Read 938 times)
Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Re: stevens 44 in 25/21
Reply #15 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Here's a 25-21, converted 204 Ruger, donor case and cross section of the web area of a 223 case. The thickness in the corner is about .030".

The converted case has 10 firings so far in a 107 action.

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
.223 basic brass is straight walled, and starts out at 1.80” long. It might be a good option as a starting point for some of these cartridge conversions. It’s also nice that it doesn’t have a head stamp.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Resolution of those photos is too granular to make out much.

Here's how mine looked.  I was careful to get a smooth transition from the case wall to the web.  Some of mine went for .22 Lovell, which is loaded in the 50k psi range.  Anything but a perfect transition will create a stress raiser, and that's where you'll get head separations.

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #18 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
I had a good friend who had a low wall relined for .25, and using his own chambering reamer, finished it in 25-21.  He shot it and enjoyed it for a couple of years before lung cancer got him.  I do not know what happened to the reamer or the Winchester.  A good guy and a good gun.

James

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:57pm
Print Post  
In the Stevens catalogs they talk positively about loading the .25-21 with a reduced charge of black powder, with a wad on top, bullet seated as normally.   Contrary to everything I've ever read about airspace above a BP charge, and also contrary to Charlie Dell's advice about wads ringing chambers.  It's strongly touted as a feature of the cartridge.  Has always bothered me, even though I don't shoot black powder in cartridges. 

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #20 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 11:02am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:57pm:
In the Stevens catalogs they talk positively about loading the .25-21 with a reduced charge of black powder, with a wad on top, bullet seated as normally.   Contrary to everything I've ever read about airspace above a BP charge, and also contrary to Charlie Dell's advice about wads ringing chambers.  It's strongly touted as a feature of the cartridge.  Has always bothered me, even though I don't shoot black powder in cartridges. 

There are other references from the late 1800's of reduced loads with BP having air gaps between the bullet base and wad. In most instances the space isn't great, and the writings don't mention any concerns at all of ringing chambers.
I've always wondered why some shooters were able to load cartridges back then with air gaps, and not have any issues, when everything I read today says it's dangerous to the life of the barrel?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Redsetter
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on Apr 7th, 2019 at 11:57pm:

One place to expect to find some clear advice on the use of wads are early Ideal Hand Books, since they offered wad-cutters "in all calibers."  But the only recommendation I found was for using thin blotting paper wads when breech seating.  On the other hand, it was pointed out that reduced loads with BP increased fouling, presumably due to incomplete combustion, which implies that use of a wad would be beneficial.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 4:19pm
Print Post  
Stevens simply says "a wad" and "a thin wad" used with reduced loads, with the instruction that "In loading with reduced charges, the bullet should be seated just as if the full charge was used, not pushed right down into the shell on the powder."
Stevens also indicates experimenting with the different grain sizes of black powder for reduced loads in the 22-15-60, 25-21, 25-25 and 28-30 cartridges.
Of course, this is 120 year old news for shooters who tinker with the long and lean Stevens straight cigarillo-like cartridges.    Wink

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Ned Roberts called the 25-21 the most inherently accurate .25 chambering. He was a big fan of the 25-21 case. If you breech seat you don't need a lot 10 will keep you shooting for the rest of your life.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint