Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 1885 Highwall deliemna (Read 2199 times)
kensmachine
Senior Forum Member

Re: 1885 Highwall deliemna
Reply #15 - Apr 8th, 2019 at 9:55pm
Print Post  
The only thing the budget was set for 4-6 months not 1-1 1/2 it's put my in a tight spot.  ken

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 12:27am
Print Post  
How about using it for a long range carbine?  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #17 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 9:38am
Print Post  
If it were full length I'd tell you to line it but it ain't. I'd rebarrel it. Keepthe original barrel with the gun.

40 Rod

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 11:53am
Print Post  
Here's a idea, shorten it to 16", have JT add a round section, to bring it to 28+ and put a wedding band at the joint, to hide the joint then re-line it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
I like Frank's idea quite a bit. You can save the whole kaboodle by using that method and have a neat gun to shoot in the bargain.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #20 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 2:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Choice of next step?

Contact Gail or Paul at CPA - new stock & barrel of your choice - $825, barrel & Stock

Regards
John
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #21 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
frnkeore wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 11:53am:
Here's a idea, shorten it to 16", have JT add a round section, to bring it to 28+ and put a wedding band at the joint, to hide the joint then re-line it.

Frank

No reason to hide any joint when John Taylor lengthens a barrel. I guarantee nobody will ever know it's been lengthened when he is done welding and polishing the surfaces. But he could still make it half octagon if the OP wanted that, and only add 8" to the existing to get to 30". No reason to cut more off to add more on.

But 16" would be too much octagon to make it look correct. The octagon should end at the end of the forearm wood, which usually is about 11" or so.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #22 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
I go with John Boy's thinking and add a call to C Sharps would be worthwhile as well. Not trying to berate anybody's work but no way I would put good money into a two piece barrel.

IP Logged

hwshooter
Junior Forum Member

Reply #23 - Apr 9th, 2019 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Good to know John Taylor can lengthen a barrel. I have a low wall barrel with a Browning Bros stamp I would like to have lengthened and a liner. Thanks for info. Mike

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #24 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Premod70 wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:14pm:
I go with John Boy's thinking and add a call to C Sharps would be worthwhile as well. Not trying to berate anybody's work but no way I would put good money into a two piece barrel.

Every barrel with a liner in it is a two piece barrel.
But a barrel that has an extension welded to it is no more a two piece barrel than your car frame is two pieces, or more when it's welded together.
The stub welded on is simply surrounding metal, and once welded together, and a quality liner installed, it's stronger and better than an original barrel. The welds are all beveled and welded through to create a one piece barrel when the welding is complete.
You're welcome to toss more money into a new barrel, and all the expense of making it look original. But I know from the ones I presently shoot that they're strong, well built, and shoot as good as any new barrel that's even close in price.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #25 - Apr 10th, 2019 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on Apr 10th, 2019 at 11:01am:
Premod70 wrote on Apr 9th, 2019 at 3:14pm:

Every barrel with a liner in it is a two piece barrel.
But a barrel that has an extension welded to it is no more a two piece barrel than your car frame is two pieces, or more when it's welded together.
The stub welded on is simply surrounding metal, and once welded together, and a quality liner installed, it's stronger and better than an original barrel. The welds are all beveled and welded through to create a one piece barrel when the welding is complete.
You're welcome to toss more money into a new barrel, and all the expense of making it look original. But I know from the ones I presently shoot that they're strong, well built, and shoot as good as any new barrel that's even close in price.

Curious, could selling such a reworked rifle to another individual and representing it as an original rifle be considered shameful?
« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2019 at 5:18pm by Premod70 »  

IP Logged

chutinlead

Reply #26 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
rather than welding an extension on it, I've seen where they drill out a 10" section of the octagon, and turn down a round barrel blank, and stuff it in like a liner. This preserves all the stamps, saves you from having to weld on a barrel (induces stresses), and still makes it a fine looking rifle with a half round/half octagon barrel.

IP Logged

JSB30
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
I do all my own machine work and have rebarreled many rifles. I searched my stack of leftovers and found a .348 barrel I had pulled off a High Wall  to make a customer a 40-65. I had trouble with cases sticking in chamber when I got it originally. I set the barrel back three threads and made a new offset mainspring base, and shortened back of forend .187.  Rental reamer should be here tomorrow to rechamber. Already had reloading dies. Ordered new stock from CPA and it has shipped.  just rechambered an original High Wall I had chambered for 375 H&H to 375 Flanged Magnum.  Had to set barrel back far enough to remove cut for belt and rechamber. Re fit barrel rib forearm and offset main spring base.  It blows gallon cans of water to pieces.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK

Reply #28 - Apr 25th, 2019 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
JSB, that original barrel was probably chambered for Paper Patch bullets.
No throat just a case chamber and a 45 degree chamfer at the end. Paper patch bullets are/were Bore size not Groove size as we shoot today. I have a number of original Rifles with Original Paper Patch chambers and they all will accept a fixed loaded shell with a Bore size bullet without a problem, until they get fouled with Black Powder fouling then they start getting tight and at times will not accept a clean loaded shell. HTH Regards, FITZ. OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint