Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic floral foam in the 25/20 ss (Read 736 times)
MT Chambers

floral foam in the 25/20 ss
Apr 16th, 2019 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
What do you folks think of using floral foam to completely fill the 25/20 after it is half full of smokeless powder. It would fill the rest of the case to the mouth and be used for breach seating. I am currently using about 1/4" floral foam in the case mouth, but it often falls into the case on the way to the shooting range.

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Re: floral foam in the 25/20 ss
Reply #1 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
     If you cut a suitable card wad, you can fold it in the center, insert it, and push it down to where you want it.   It will straighten out and stay in place.   Most recommend that it be placed some distance, e.g. 1/4" or more, off the powder.   
     Filling the case with foam would be the equivalent of seating a wad ON the powder, not generally recommended.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
What, if any, are the problems of putting a small piece of tissue or kapoc on top of the powder charge?  Tom  Undecided

Twitter  
IP Logged

Myers

Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
I had the same issue also using floral foam in the 32-40. If you have to preload which sounds like your plan then try cutting wads out of black pipe insulation. They will expand enough in the mouth of the case to prevent them moving.

MT Chambers wrote on Apr 16th, 2019 at 2:29pm:
What do you folks think of using floral foam to completely fill the 25/20 after it is half full of smokeless powder. It would fill the rest of the case to the mouth and be used for breach seating. I am currently using about 1/4" floral foam in the case mouth, but it often falls into the case on the way to the shooting range. 

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
I use about 1/8' florafoam and leave it at the mouth and dont have any spillage issues? I load before traveling hundreds of miles with no problem. I use the case mouth to cut it and push it flat

IP Logged

Myers

Reply #5 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 6:28pm
Print Post  
These are the cutting bits I use in the drill press. I use a piece of flat wood in the vise. It helps the bit cut cleanly without tearing the foam.

Hollow Punch Set 6 Pc

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MT Chambers

Reply #6 - Apr 16th, 2019 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
The floral foam I'm talking about is from Walmart and crumbles easily if handled, it weighs virtually nothing.

IP Logged

notlwonk

Reply #7 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 7:11am
Print Post  
I use a 1/4" punch and 1/16" automotive cork/rubber gasket flush with the case mouth. Initially the cork was a little small so I put a slight chamfer in the punch. They are placed mouth down in the ammo box.

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2019 at 9:04am
Print Post  
That is the same type floral foam I use. Do you cut it with the case when plugging or cut with something else and place in case?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint