Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Early Favorite Serial Numbers (Read 365 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Early Favorite Serial Numbers
Apr 18th, 2019 at 7:29am
Print Post  
Stumbling around in the Innertubes just now I ran across a forum claim by a New Zealander that the early Favorites, those with 5 digit serial numbers, were in the same s/n sequence with Tip-Up pistols!†

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

This might explain how they got into the 90-thousands in just five or six years. That's always bothered me since those early Favorites were being made in the old factory with under 100 employees.† †

Anyone care to comment?

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Oldtimer

Re: Early Favorite Serial Numbers
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2019 at 10:20am
Print Post  
I guess itís possible.  Kind of begs the question:  If they were numbered along with the Tip-Ups, why do the Sideplate versions (which were also called ďThe FavoriteĒ in flyers and other ads) seem to have their own numbering sequence, with low numbers and no apparent scatter from the pistols being numbered along with them?  Why would the Company suddenly change their numbering policy simply because they switched to hollow castings for the frames?

Your comment is valid though.  Iíve seen only a few 94s in the ďlow serial numberĒ 99,000 range, while the code-stamped examples are legion.  A ratio of even one-in-twenty would make some sense, but it isnít there in the examples I see at gun shows.  I donít haunt the auction sites; maybe itís different there.

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 12:11pm
Print Post  
Some innertubes are made out of shoddy material.  The Kiwi is full of opinion, not facts.  After studying hundreds of "serial" numbers on small frame/favorites, I can say for sure that the first sideplates started over with real serial numbers, "perhaps" as many as 2000, mine is #768 stamped on the inside of the metal butt plate, with the same number written in a white marker on the wood under the plate.  The only external marking is a roll stamp Stevens A & T.....pat'd august 11, 188?..cal ??, in one row on the round barrel, which turned out to be 25 RF.  Someone tried to help remove the barrel with a small hammer, so I don't know if the barrel shank was stamped, it is bradded in the frame.

My next Favorite is #4xxx, threaded for a silencer, and Brit proof marks, and the '94 pat'd, a 22. It is threaded for a silencer.  I have seen pictures mostly as well as a few live one up to over 100.000, most with hard rubber plates with "Favorite".  The next series has 6 o'clock extractors and continued with the address enclosed with a boxed in X, and has an A prefix, and numbered well over 11,000.  Following this was the confusing jumble of letters and symbols with numbers less than 1000, and the letters were repeated through the 1915 models.  I have and have seen a triangle, asterix, rectangle, star, square, and & (ampersand), one with a boxed X and a higher number without it.  The boxed X disappears somewhere here, but I have seen other letters with the X, all on the top rear octagon flat. 

I have read on this forum that the X meant nothing on 44's, but it looks like it is meaningful on small frames.

James

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 20th, 2019 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input.† I'm not much up on dating Favorites.† And the more I know, the less I think I know.† About everything.

Yes, I've noticed in my 44 survey that the boxed-X comes and goes.† Doesn't seem to be an age marker.†

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint