Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic First try at breech seating part 2 (Read 362 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

First try at breech seating part 2
Apr 19th, 2019 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Several years ago I bought a FBW rifle on this site that had a 30/40 Imp Krag and a 25/20 SS barrel.  I bought it mainly for the 30 caliber to hunt with until my Borchardt in the same caliber was completed by Curt Hardcastle.  When I got my Borchardt back I put away the rifle and never thought much about it.  The 25/20 SS barrel came with a 3" flat forearm and was set up for breech seating and had a push tool and 50 cast bullets.  I decided today I would see how it shot so changed barrels, boresighted it in and preloaded some vials loaded with 8 grs of IMR 4227.  It came with quite a few Jamison cases so I pre-primed 10.  I changed front rests from shooting the 32/40 first to a 3" bag and shot with the forearm resting on the bag.  I mounted an old 8x32 varmint scope and cranked the power to about 16 for shooting at 50 yards.  I played hell breech seating as the bullets were hard to get all the way in with the push tool, sometimes needing a little extra punch with the open palm.  The next problem I had was remembering to push the extractor behind the case before pushing the case all the way into the chamber.  I finally got into a routine of pushing the bullet home, closing the action on an empty chamber, then opening it up just enough to slide the loaded case in.  Pictured is my 10 shot group at 50 yards which is at the 6 o'clock position.  Needless to say I was one very happy camper.  The rifle is heavy and with virtually no recoil bag technique is not as critical as with the 32/40.  Also pictured is the very heavy buildup of residue on the fired case.  The bullet mold came with the rifle and is a MOS 117 gr I believe.  Not really wanting to get back into casting I need to fine somebody who will sell me some bullets if I send them the mold or a place to buy quality bullets.  I think I need a softer alloy also as seating them was a bear.  What other powders should I try or just stick with IMR 4227 as I can't argue with success.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Re: First try at breech seating part 2
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Tom,

You might try belling the case to a friction fit into the chamber to cut down on the blowback onto the case for both the 25-21 and the 30-40 Improved.

Very nice group with the 25-21 there!

Edit: Where the heck did I get the idea that breech seating part 1 was with a 30-40 Improved?  Embarrassed
« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2019 at 11:26pm by jy3855 »  

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
I also think that the slight bell, just enough to feel the drag when inserted, is going to help.
I think,in addition, that the cases may have residue sizing lube on them. When I've forgotten to clean cases formed from other brass, and didn't get the first bell opened enough the smudge looked real dark like you show it here.
4227 is dirty at low pressure, but not really that bad. Good start, though, keep with it and you'll soon be an expert. You get the attaboy today. Smiley

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
The 25/20 SS chamber appears to be a very tight chamber as the unsized fired cases will not accept a 25 caliber jacketed bullet.  The seating tool will not allow the bullet to slide in very easy also but it looks like it is not damaging the bullets who to effect accuracy.  I will try to adjust my did so that it just bells the case without sizing.  Thanks for the help on the brass. Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 10:51pm
Print Post  
Tom, Someone (can't remember who) here on the forum makes a belling tool that is very handy.  I just push it in by hand.  It bells just enough to feel resistance entering the chamber.  I have to do it every shot to eliminate the case smudge.  If you can't find that tool you could probably do the same thing with the tapered shank on a center punch. That is what I used before I got the tool.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2019 at 11:13pm
Print Post  
I will try a tapered punch with my arbor press to set the depth.  Thanks.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint