Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Need advice on selecting casting equipment (Read 1060 times)
Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Need advice on selecting casting equipment
Apr 22nd, 2019 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
After trying my hand at breech seating for my 32/40 and 25/20 SS last week I am seriously considering getting back into bullet casting.  I quit casting some 15 years ago when I was shooting a bench rest 6ppc that would shoot 5 shots in one hole at 100 yards and inacurate rifles were no longer fun.  Now I see the groups you gentlemen produce with cast bullets and saw that my 25/20 is very close to being a 1 moa rifle as well.  I am not going to be shooting competitively so I am not sure if the initial investment is worth it if I can find somebody to sell me quality cast bullets.  Anyway, all I have right now is the NOE 260-117 25 caliber tapered bullet mold that came with the rifle.  I was looking at furnaces and was wondering what anybody thought of the cheaper RCBS electric furnace which has a PID device.  Any other choices?  I assume that if I buy 25:1 alloy I would also need flux, a dipper and a thermometer.  What mold would you recommend for the 32/40 which is an original 1:16 twist Hiwall barrel in very good condition.  I want to see what the initial investment is going to be as I am not sure how long our range is going to allow lead bullets as it is owned by the State of California.  The Range Safety Officers can no longer sweep up the concrete floor to clean up the brass but must use a rubber squeegee to eliminate airborne lead dust.  Sadly I can see the writing on the wall.  The range I used to shoot short range centerfire benchrest was closed and one of the arguments besides nearby housing developments was lead from bullets in the berms.  I read online where a Bald Eagle was found dead near Yellowstone and the cause of death was listed as lead poisoning "probably" from lead fragments from a hunter's rifle.  Tom   Sad

Twitter  
IP Logged

Skalkaho
Senior Forum Member

Re: Need advice on selecting casting equipment
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Lee casting Pot. My old one is 16 years old,just picked up another. Cant beat them.....

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2019 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
Yup, you need flux.  Use anything except Marvelux! Bullet lube, paraffin or beeswax work just fine.  Marvelux will rust everything within a quarter mile!

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I would go with a Lee pot, too. My older 10 lb pots have lasted 30+ years. I now use 2, 20 lb pots and 1, 10 lb.

I found BW to be the best flux for myself. You don't need to flux often, just when you make the batch or add to it.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

ww
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Lyman makes a nice dipper.  I don't have a thermometer but the lead lets you when its to hot. Lube-sizer ? It's been a while since I've used mine. Ive been shooting as cast and pan lubed. Lead alloy I cast with isotope lead fills nice and has a BHN of 10.5. Brother in law works for  Hot-Shots .
WW

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
Lyman is my favorite dipper.  Watch the new production.  I have seen them with the spout hole or the handle at an odd angle  Embarrassed

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 5:25pm
Print Post  
I agree with buying a 20# Lee Production Pot.
BUT, I strongly LOVE my PID temp controller that I
plug my electric pots into. You can set it and forget it
and the pot temp stays within a very narrow temp range.

You can build a PID controller-there are schematics on Cast Boolits- from ebay components for probably under $50.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

Marlene

Reply #7 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
I like the new RCBS pot with the PID. Building a PID setup for a Lee pot isn't a big deal, but it isn't free and it is more than a ten minute job. It's nice to not have the tangle of cords and probes and boxes all over the place too.

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #8 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Lee 20# Pot ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Lyman Digital Thermometer ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Lee Ladle ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Lee Ingot Mold ... (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Whacker - hickory hammer handle
Stainless Steel Spoon - holes drilled on edges: spoon out dross only and leave lead in pot
Gloves - Harbor Freight Welding gloves
Flux - Pine Wood sawdust: Free @ Home Depot or nearest construction site.
Stick Matches or thin piece of pine: Light the sawdust to keep it from smoking
Paraffin - to lube mold pins
Floor Fan if casting indoors
32-40 Breach Seating Mold - 319273 Doc Hudson
Accurate Mold Clone: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
32-40 Fixed Ctg Mold - Your Choice

Regards
John
IP Logged

JerryH
Oldtimer

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #9 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
I'll add my vote to a 20# Lee pot, with a PID temp controller.

I used a 1000 watt rheostat switch to control the temp for a long time, but it quit on me so I decided to build a PID temp controller. (Thanks bnice for the help and links).

I put everything on a $58.00 HF cart so it's easy to move around in my shop. No clutter and everything is there ready to use. Except my moulds. Those stay in the house when not being used.

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
I also use the Lee 20 lb pot and have done for for many years, my current one is about 15 years old and has never missed a beat.
I think a PID controller is a great idea but I lack the ability to make one, I just keep a close eye on the temperature using a Lyman thermometer in the pot.
Frankly I'm surprised that no one makes the PID controllers ready to go at a reasonable price as there is probably a market for them. I did buy an Easy Melt pot but rarely use it, I keep my 16-1 alloy in it and don't cast 16-1 bullets all that often.
Mike.

IP Logged

GrumpyBear
Junior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Apr 23rd, 2019 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
Mick B wrote on Apr 23rd, 2019 at 9:47pm:
I also use the Lee 20 lb pot and have done for for many years, my current one is about 15 years old and has never missed a beat.
I think a PID controller is a great idea but I lack the ability to make one, I just keep a close eye on the temperature using a Lyman thermometer in the pot.
Frankly I'm surprised that no one makes the PID controllers ready to go at a reasonable price as there is probably a market for them. I did buy an Easy Melt pot but rarely use it, I keep my 16-1 alloy in it and don't cast 16-1 bullets all that often.
Mike.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)!

Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Shash-yazhi -bear-cub

Brian

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 9:36am
Print Post  
Grumpybear
Thanks for the info but at US$125 it's a bit to much money for me just so I don't have to pay attention to my pot temperature when casting. By the time I convert $125 US dollars to Australian dollars, then add postage, it would end up costing me close to 200 bucks.  I think that is about what I paid for my Easy Melt pot some time ago.
Mike.

IP Logged

GrumpyBear
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 9:42am
Print Post  
Mick, sorry I forgot you were in the land down under, and what postage is like, I shipped a Marlin banner to a friend down there and it cost me a bunch.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

Shash-yazhi -bear-cub

Brian

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #14 - Apr 24th, 2019 at 9:53am
Print Post  
A Lee pot is fine
I like an RCBS Dipper
Dont cast too hard A lot of cast bullet shooters will tell you harder is better. It aint so. Stay away from antimony.
Never use a bottom pour pot if you want accuracy

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint