Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another sight (Read 839 times)
GT
Oldtimer

Another sight
Apr 28th, 2019 at 12:47am
Print Post  
I started another sight to go with a rifle I picked up recently - a Farrow.  It is my version of his sight - a couple of twists that differ from what Farrow made for his rifles.  I encountered a problem when I tried to fit it to the rifle, the sight won't go low enough for for the distance I intend to shoot - so rather than modify this sight- I finished it and plan to use it on another.  (tried it this evening and it works fine  Smiley on this one) I like the turnbuckle design and plan to use a similar style on the actual Farrow... so back to the drawing board - thinking a little less vertical adjustment is really required making is a bit more compact.
Here's how it finished.  Sorry for the picture quality, I try to do a little better for posts.
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

LRF
Senior Forum Member

Re: Another sight
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:37am
Print Post  
GT, Very nice work. I especially knurling, what tools are you using for these radius' type knurls. I also like the right hand/left hand thread on the elevation adjustment. That sure makes the changes fast. Also, is there anyway you could show how the windage adjustment works? I see it the elevation stem pivots but at the bottom but what causes it to swing right or left? Thanks for any feedback and again very well done!

IP Logged

KFW
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Greg
Yes.........fine work! again. i like your rope knurls which i am sure you made. I made some up also for restoration work, its always a classy touch

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 10:21am
Print Post  
That is nice. I like the turnbuckle idea.
Do like the radiused knurling.
Chuck

IP Logged

Flatlander
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 10:39am
Print Post  
Wow. Just Wow.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 11:43am
Print Post  
For folks like me that haven't the tools, the skills, or the insightful imagination required, the only negative thing about this man's magnificent work is that it's only for himself.  Still, I would pay to watch him do it.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Very nice work.

I was wondering about the indicator lines on the back of the aperture disk.

Do they mark the location of different size internal apertures?

I see you enjoy Damascus steel.
Did you acid etch it?

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
The answer for the knurling- Amoretti showed me a knurl once that was made to do convex surfaces - that was the first time I'd ever seen one of those in all of my years in this business...
All I do for my projects is get a good knurl started on the largest diameter, (there is a simple math formula for this - circumference divided by the pitch of the knurl and cut the diameter to an even multiple of that) then I turn the knurling tool in small increments about the face of that diameter.  If the initial form is started well, the roll picks up the lead - I also use a knurling tool that holds only one roll - I hate the double roller tools. 
The windage adjustment is made by turning the disc on the back of the sight.  It pivots about the small roll pin and allows the eye piece to move right and left.  The graduations on the disk are broached as MOA markings but they came out fairly coarse, I think each graduation equals about 3 minutes on the different rifles I've tried these sight on.
Dave,  I like the results and the looks of Damascus and it has been a heard turner, but I can't say it's fun to work.  I have a rifle that I'm finishing that not only the sights front and rear are Damascus, but the buttplate, grip cap and forend are also Damascus.  I get the contours set with a gage where things are symmetrical, but because of the layers things appear to be skewed - I struggle.  I use a mix of vinegar and Ferric Chloride for etching.
Here's a few pictures of sights I've been working on with this configuration, it is evolving a little.  Chuck, the turnbuckle is a relatively new idea for me and there's another in the mix.  I have yet another in process and another idea forming.
I am hoping when I throw my junk out here a few of you are stimulated and share your thoughts.  I've tried it on a couple other forums but this is the only one that seems to express any interest, to that I say thank you all.
Greg

"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
GT wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 1:03pm:
....I get the contours set with a gage where things are symmetrical, but because of the layers things appear to be skewed....

Thanks for the detailed pictures and tons of explanation. I hope you don't mind if I ask, are you doing your etching after you're done working the stock? I just ask because it usually appears to be a mono steel before etching. Don't mind me, great stuff.

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 3:46pm
Print Post  
Craig,
Anymore, I purchase the Damascus pieces from various sources unless it's some exotic design I think I need to do - not worth my effort.  These pieces are generally etched to some degree by the seller showing their figure, but as you work it - file, sanding or milling this goes away to some extent.  I shape it like I did this forend cap and think that it's going to look good - after I etch it, the lines of the material really seem to change how symmetrical things appear- I used acraglas to fill voids under the piece and when I finish the wood there shouldn't be any showing but you can see the extra now...  Also, a picture of the butt plate still being worked - I've etched it at least once and it looks crooked, skewed, out of place, I can't really describe - maybe the way I chose to set the Damascus?.   This will be a different looking arrangement, not something that will make my top ten.
Greg

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
I had a friend that made some Damascus knifes. He made more than he finished because he felt the same as you do regards the way he saw it in his mind and how it ended in real life. He was an artsy sort of man, and looks like you have it in you too. Pretty damn scarce combo in a machinist, if ya ask me. Roll Eyes
I'm pretty much straight line and square cornered when I construct. Love looking at the 'curves' whether on a pretty woman or your great looking sights. Show us the other one soon.....

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
Awesome work on those sights.  Like CF, I enjoy looking at curvy stuff too  Roll Eyes

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2019 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
GT wrote on Apr 28th, 2019 at 3:46pm:
....I purchase the Damascus pieces from various sources unless it's some exotic design I think I need to do - not worth my effort.  These pieces are generally etched to some degree by the seller showing their figure, but as you work it - file, sanding or milling this goes away to some extent.  I shape it like I did this forend cap and think that it's going to look good - after I etch it, the lines of the material really seem to change how symmetrical things appear....

Thanks for explaining what you meant. I think you can see the dilema that you are running into with knifemakers. Some will just do "stock removal", that is grind and cut away the material they don't want. It usually doesn't look right because the pattern doesn't follow the shape of the blade, or a good example might be an "S" guard.

You can see when some blade smiths forge their components to shape, the 'grain' in the damascus flows with the curves and shapes that they are forming. Depending on how the damascus was made the wood grain look on the surface of a bar might be hammer blow dimples where the layers of metal were partially displaced. Then when the bar was ground flat to sell, those displacements show like a flat topo map. If the material wasn't heavily displaced, through and through, someone could grind through the surface and the inside can etch like it's plainer and straighter.

The tough part about forging is some damascus will delaminate a little and get frustrating. Sometimes, it may not show till you try to finish and an inclusion shows up that's too deep to remove. Someone might do very basic forging bends against scrap metal, even wood for a one off gentle curve. If a test etch is looking good on a showing surface, then consider removing any additional from the back side. It could be that damascus from different sources etches differently, aside from different layer count and construction technique.

Only thoughts Greg, nothing more. It's obvious anyway, but I like that your're looking at details. Best of luck with it, and thanks again for your generous sharing.

IP Logged

fishoot
Junior Forum Member

Reply #13 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 9:12am
Print Post  
At the risk of sounding like millennial, Awesome Work!  Wish I could pull a Dr. Spock mind meld on you.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #14 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 9:34am
Print Post  
I always enjoy your sight builds Greg! The Damascus just sets them off from the typical blued sights. That's a very unique design, and especially so the windage adjustment on the aperture.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint