Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Replacing scope blocks on new 2 me Walnut Hill 417 (Read 559 times)
emmett22405

Replacing scope blocks on new 2 me Walnut Hill 417
Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Scope blocks and screws gone from 417, only lyman receiver sight and globe front remain. I know zip about missing items but do have Unertl with mounts. Welcome help and advice as to mount heights and screw sizes etc Thanks

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Replacing scope blocks on new 2 me Walnut Hill 417
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Tough to say what the screw sizes are, but 6-40 and 6-48 are quite commonly used. Have to try various screws to determine what the barrel is D&T for.
Blocks normally use a pretty standard spacing, but again no way to know what yours is unless the spacing is measured between holes front and rear. They usually have different spacing to allow the front mount to engage first, and then the shorter rear 2nd.
Bases should be as low as the objective bell will allow, so if your scope can sit on top of your barrel and the bell doesn't touch, then you can use the lowest base. If the bell touches, then get bases thick enough to elevate until the bell clears.
Steve Earle Products carries a large selection of bases to choose from Check his website.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

kensmachine
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 9:44am
Print Post  
I have a Ballard with a Stevens scope and the mounting screws are 5x40 but like Val said the 6x40 and the 6x48 are more common

IP Logged

Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 10:29am
Print Post  
As mentioned Steve Earle has mounts, but he also has the most common spacings listed.

Stevens mounts for a time had their own bolt spacing as well as using a 5-40 screw, same as the tang sight.

The 417 should probably be past that date, but it's a Stevens Wink

IP Logged

RonJonUSN
Junior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2019 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Didn't Stevens use that real oddball thread 6-44 on some of their scope blocks?

IP Logged

emmett22405

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I bought blocks and 6-48 screws but they wouldn't tighten entirely  then bought 3 die tap set for 6-48  tried chasing threads  with tapered dies still no go read somewhere dont use bottoming tap as they mess up top threads . took to gunsmith in 3 seconds he observed that the factory drilled and tapped screw threads  did not go to bottom of holes!!  in 3 minutes he used my bottom tap and all is well.  then i left so excited i got home after 2 1/2 hr drive from smith finding voice mail that I had left the rifle there (but did pick up 2 others). Old age bad bad bad.

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #6 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
Iíll bet those taps came from China via eBay, I bought em too.  Like John Taylor pointed out they donít look like any normal taps, way too much taper esp the bottoming tap.  I ground the end off the bottoming tap and got the job done.  Buyer beware!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint