Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Date of Manufacture of a Lyman Bullet Casting Kit (Read 364 times)
JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Date of Manufacture of a Lyman Bullet Casting Kit
Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
My sister-in-law picked this up at a garage sale for a few bucks and sold it to me for less than the listed price on the photo. She didn't know what it was but since it said "bullet" on it she thought I might be interested in it. Was I ever! It's a complete kit with an extra set of mold blocks. The box was a mess and I didn't have any way to transport it so it was left behind. My question is: can anyone date it by the information on the instruction manual?

Thanks,
JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Date of Manufacture of a Lyman Bullet Casting Kit
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:20pm
Print Post  
Any dates on the mould blocks?

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:20pm:
Any dates on the mould blocks?

I don't see any dates. The blocks are 311466 and 311359, gas check Loverin style I think. The 311466 has a 451 number on each block and the 311359 blocks have 435 number on each.  They're both IDEAL Middlefield, Conn. USA

I don't see a date on the instructions either but there is "LB51" on them. Maybe 51 is the year??

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"  Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Perhaps. In any event, the 45 lubesizer was replaced by the 450 in 67-68. Maybe someone has old Shooter's Bibles that could check the price of the set for a range.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:35am
Print Post  
I'd have probably taken the box apart at the seams carefully, and laid it all out flat in my bags. Those old tools are always worth much more with the original box, even if it's tattered.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:56am
Print Post  
There’s a picture and description of the Bullet Casting Kit in the 41st Edition Lyman Hand Book (1957).  By the 43rd Edition, the components are still offered, but no mention of the Kit.  No mention of the Kit in the first Handloader’s Digest (1962).

And yes; the paper ephemera should be saved at every opportunity.  Still, a pretty nice haul for thirty-some bucks.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Lyman took over the old Ideal Manufacturing Co. line in 1925, after it had lain dormant for 10 years or so, but they kept the old name on the moulds and tools until the mid-to-late 1960s.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I just found, in a stack of old Rifleman magazines, a March 1954 advert for what seems the same kit. It's selling price is $28.50.
The pile of magazines is mixed, but I'll keep an eye out for any changes in pricing if the same kit is in there. Lyman had so much stuff that a magzine ad might be all over the place- but it's fun to reread these old things sometimes.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the posts. The kit I picked up is probably late '50's to early '60's.

Yes, I probably should have saved the box. Another example of why I'm not rich. I bought the kit with the idea of using it since I need another set up when I'm in Arizona and wasn't even thinking of the collector value. Once in awhile I make a good score. At a flea market this past winter I bought 3 Lyman molds in excellent condition and with the handles on all of them for $20 each. That's $125 worth each at the new price and I can use all three of them.

JS

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint