Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A rolling block at the NRA museum..... (Read 854 times)
majorfs45

A rolling block at the NRA museum.....
Apr 29th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know anything about this Rolling Block that has an adjustable grip section?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 85 KB | 105 Downloads )

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Re: A rolling block at the NRA museum.....
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Unfortunately, I don't have the software and/or computer skills to open your file.  And that's unfortunate, because I can almost picture the rifle in mind, so I'm sure I've read about it, if some time ago.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
I can open it fine, but the image is so small I can't tell much. The rifle appears to be either a Mid Range Sporting Rifle, or Long Range. But without knowing caliber, and barrel length, I have no idea which it is.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:33pm
Print Post  
See if this works.  Sorry for the bad quality, but maybe enough to let everyone get an idea what it looks like.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 5:35pm
Print Post  
Still not sure if it's a Mid Range, or Long Range, but my guess is the pistol grip attachment is a vessel that hold spare inserts for the front globe sight.
I had an old target rifle with the same sort of addition, and it had sight inserts in it.
But it might also simply be part of the display that holds the gun in position, and not part of the gun.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
I used to own a cast metal add-on grip. If it'd had that interesting knob with a trap to store spares in, I might have kept it. This one is neat enough that I wish the photo was cleared. Thanks for showing us.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

sureshot

Reply #6 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
It's a takedown version with knobs to undo the grip by hand. It comes apart at the line on the upper grip.
It was in one of the NRA calendars years ago.

Steve   Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Sureshot has it right.  And while I don't recall an NRA calendar, I'm pretty sure my own memory comes from one of Amber's survey articles in a Gun Digest some 50 years ago.  I'm also pretty sure it's a Mid-Range or a Long-Range, more likely the latter.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

rodneys
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
Sureshot and bill have it correct . I have the calendar picture somewhere.

IP Logged

majorfs45

Reply #9 - May 1st, 2019 at 9:51am
Print Post  
I am sure you correct, but this is what the caption said with the photo of the rifle:
NRA Museums
Like This Page · April 17 ·

GUN OF THE DAY - Remington at the Range. As NRA members competed at Creedmoor Range in the 1870s, one of the guns they used was the Remington rolling block rifle. Issued to NY National Guard regiments, the Remington was a reliable service as well as target gun, [highlight]and our .45 example also boasts a custom adjustable wrist feature. Single-shot Remington rolling block rifles and carbines were made in the millions at the Remington factory in Ilion, NY and exported to many nations around the world.
What you were saying about it being a break down stock makes more sense to me, than it being an adjustable grip section.

IP Logged

chutinlead

Reply #10 - May 1st, 2019 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
I tried to make the image a little easier to see

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2019 at 8:58am
Print Post  
It looks more to me like the adjustment is for varying the drop on the buttstock rather than altering the grip angle itself, or taking down.  It could be raised for the back-rest position and lowered for prone or offhand shooting.

Shotgun makers had “try-guns” with that drop adjustment in the grip, as well as pull-out sections for length of pull and cheek placement; even the ability to turn the buttstock portion right or left for cast-on or cast-off.

The ”Gentleman” would shoulder the try-gun repeatedly while the gunsmith adjusted it until he was looking right down the barrel rib as the try-gun was mounted.  The gunsmith would write down the settings and make the actual gunstock to the same pattern.

There must be nothing specific against such a gimmick in the Creedmoor Rules, but since such shooting was originally conceived as having some applicability to practical shooting (such as would occur in hunting or military work), I would have thought the referees would have tried to ban it from the matches, as being “not in the spirit.”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint