Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Converting Uberti High Wall to rim fire (Read 1115 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Converting Uberti High Wall to rim fire
Apr 29th, 2019 at 6:49pm
Print Post  
As many of you know it's nearly impossible to find a quality single-shot target .22LR with double set triggers for $1500 or less.  Most such as CPA's (Steven's copies) or custom rifles are in the $2500 to $3,000, possibly more. 

Because of the above, a shooting friend has a double set trigger Uberti High Wall in .45-70 and is wondering what it would take to convert it to .22LR.  I would imagine a new barrel or possibly a liner to start.  Then the breechblock would need to be modified to take a rimfire firing pin plus a new extractor.

I do know that a Sharp’s can be setup for rimfire with the appropriate barrel, custom extractor and a longer breechblock link to raise the block up sufficiently for the firing pin to strike the top rim of the case.  I wonder if a similar “trick” would work with a High Wall rather than having to modify the block?

So the question is does anyone do this kind of work?  Possibly John Taylor could respond on the feasibility of either of the above approaches for a Uberti High Wall?

Wayne

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Re: Converting Uberti High Wall to rim fire
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
One option would be to use one of the two readily available rimfire inserts, Lee Shaver has one, I  believe  Dave Crossno makes the other. They can be inserted and removed without making any permanent changes to the rifle.
Uberti makes a low wall in .22 LR. Before messing with a perfectly good rifle that is not broke, you might want to find one of their low walls. I have one and it was a little too light for me so I found a centerfire Uberti take off barrel, (on this forum), had Lee Shaver put a .22 liner in ( a permanent one) and the rifle now has the same weight and balance as my Uberti High Wall. One other thing- the low wall buttstock was a little short, so I found a Uberti High wall  buttstock and with about ten minutes of fitting, had it installed. The rifle shoots good enough, ( I shot a 400 with it offhand tonight with Rem Thunderbolts) but its not in the same league as my BSA international  match rifle. If I had to do it again I would have put a really good new rimfire barrel on it.
At any rate, don't assume that the Uberti low wall rimfire breechblock with fit their high wall either. If it does, you can pop in a Uberti Low wall rimfire breechblock. Not sure about the extractor.  If you call Taylor Arms or VTI gun parts, they can help you out with questions about parts.
Joe S

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Joe S,

He currently has a Crossno insert in the Uberti but it has not given him the accuracy he feels is necessary for .22BPCRA competition.

Wayne

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:44am
Print Post  
I'm not certain I'd blame the Crossno liner if my gun wasn't as accurate as I hoped. A lot of matches have been won with Crossno liners, and it might be the gun more than the liner. A new barrel may not shoot any better than the Crossno liner, and that would be an expensive test.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

4060may

Reply #4 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Wayne
The rimfire pin and breech block insert from the Uberti lowall should work...from VTI
129  picture number

UB:849129
Description
Uberti Firing Pin Bearing .22LR, .22Mag (Low Wall)

Price
US$9.0
UB:849098
Description
Uberti Firing Pin .22LR, .22Mag (low Wall)

I bought mine from Taylor  contact info  ryanh@taylorsfirearms.com

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 11:35am
Print Post  
4060may wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:45am:
Wayne
The rimfire pin and breech block insert from the Uberti lowall should work...from VTI
129  picture number

UB:849129
Description
Uberti Firing Pin Bearing .22LR, .22Mag (Low Wall)

Price
US$9.0
UB:849098
Description
Uberti Firing Pin .22LR, .22Mag (low Wall)

I bought mine from Taylor  contact info  ryanh@taylorsfirearms.com

Thanks,

I received a similar response in a PM from another member of the forum.  After checking the VTI schematics and parts lists the other item not noted would be the extractor (UB:849079).

Wayne

IP Logged

CW

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 1:20pm
Print Post  
As a parts source, how well do Winchester parts fit the Uberti?

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
I have a Uberti High Wall and a Uberti Low wall, an original High wall and some original parts. I bought a complete set of parts that I think I might need for the Uberti High Wall from VTI , such as springs, screws, firing pin, etc. They have a very good supply and prices are not outrageous. Taylor Firearms also has parts and I have bought some from them too. In the limited testing that I have done regarding interchangeability, such as with breechblocks, the originals did NOT interchange with the replicas. I believe many parts probably will interchange, but as long as Uberti parts are readily available, I would not invest in a lot of original parts to put on a Uberti unless I knew before hand that it would work.
Joe S

IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
I think you'll find that you cannot simply raise or lower the breech block to strike a rimfire cartridge. The geometry of the entire system is tied to the location of the breech block.
You will either need to go to an offset bore or modify the breech block for a rimfire firing pin. Most any decent gun crank should be able to make an extractor that works.

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Deadeye Bly wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 8:29pm:
I think you'll find that you cannot simply raise or lower the breech block to strike a rimfire cartridge. The geometry of the entire system is tied to the location of the breech block.
You will either need to go to an offset bore or modify the breech block for a rimfire firing pin. Most any decent gun crank should be able to make an extractor that works.

I don't know about a Uberti High Wall but raising the breechblock with a longer link definitely works with a Shiloh Sharps.  Of course, besides rebarreling, a new extractor is also required.  A guy I shoot which has such a rifle.  Shiloh sent everything but the barrel to a gunsmith in Central Texas commissioned to do the work.  He installed and chambered a Green Mountain barrel, made a longer link and a new extractor.

Wayne

IP Logged

38-72
Junior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 11:32pm
Print Post  
John Taylor converted my high wall CF to 22LR.  He installed a BJ liner and converted the extractor to RF.  He does excellent work.  The gun is very accurate.  John has worked on several of my rifles and am always happy with his workmanship.

After the work was completed, I learned that DZ Arms has a RF ejector that would have been a better fit for my application.

Would I have the conversation done again, the answer is NO.  There is a reason why most of the 22LR rifles are based on Low Walls, it is really a pain to load those small short rounds into the high wall.  There isn’t enough room to get you fingers in there. 

Have you looked at getting a Winder Low Wall (large barrel shank) and fitting MVA’s double set triggers and lever to the Winder action?

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Apr 30th, 2019 at 11:52pm
Print Post  
38-72 wrote on Apr 30th, 2019 at 11:32pm:
There is a reason why most of the 22LR rifles are based on Low Walls, it is really a pain to load those small short rounds into the high wall.  There isn’t enough room to get you fingers in there. 

A shooter friend I shoot with converted a couple of High Walls receivers to .22LR and had one side of the receiver next to the block milled down for easy loading access.  It works great.  I.e. it's a semi-high wall or semi-low wall depending on your perspective.  If you're right handed remove a portion of the right side, left handed remove a portion of the left side.

Wayne

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - May 1st, 2019 at 9:13am
Print Post  
I owned a Buhmiller High Wall in .22 once that had the right sidewall removed for easy loading. Worked great, but I wouldn't do this modification to an original action myself.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 1st, 2019 at 2:45pm
Print Post  
Just get a BSA martini international, for offhand a mk IV, and it will meet the budget requirement, have an excellent trigger and be more accurate...

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 1st, 2019 at 4:05pm
Print Post  
But won't meet the hammer requirement for 22 BPCR.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint