Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Stevens 44 barrel alignment/rotation problem. (Read 572 times)
Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Stevens 44 barrel alignment/rotation problem.
May 1st, 2019 at 10:54am
Print Post  
Have a model 44 that it seems the barrel set screw is off center.

The barrel is snug but not tight when aligned with the action. When you tighten the set screw, it rotates the barrel. I am having a terrible time getting enough windage adjustment.

One option is to set the barrel back one turn, hoping for a  more simple solution.

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Stevens 44 barrel alignment/rotation problem.
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Dellet,
What is the condition of the tip of the Barrel Screw, and of the screw seat cut into the bottom of the barrel?
A touch of Dykem may tell you if they are mating squarely or not.
« Last Edit: May 1st, 2019 at 4:11pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2019 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
BP wrote on May 1st, 2019 at 4:01pm:
Dellet,
What is the condition of the tip of the Barrel Screw, and of the screw seat cut into the bottom of the barrel?
A touch of Dykem may tell you if they are mating squarely or not.

I have not checked that other than a casual glance.

What I did check was more or less runout of the barrel. The assumption was an out of round screw would cause the barrel to walk back and forth as the screw was tightened. What I have is a steady twist.

It really did not occur to check if the seat had been damaged some how. So it's a start.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 1st, 2019 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Does the extractor line up?   Is the top flat level (parallel) to the receiver top flat when the setscrew is tightened?

I take it that tightening the setscrew loosens the barrel?

Ideally, when assembling the barrel, it would come up about 1/4 of a flat short of proper index with the bare hands. (~12 degrees) A tweak with a wrench ought to be necessary to bring it home.

You can use a die grinder to widen the setscrew pocket if that proves necessary.

IP Logged

Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 1st, 2019 at 11:33pm
Print Post  
The barrel over rotates past top center.

If I set the barrel flat at top center, when tightening the screw it forces the barrel tighter.

The 7 o’clock extractor lines up, but is loose enough to allow the extra rotation.

Adding an .008” shim would probably get it back to where it would take the 1/4 flat turn to tighten.

The screw and pilot look very good and centered.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 1st, 2019 at 11:51pm
Print Post  
Unless it were a serious competition piece, I wouldn't balk at making a shim.  You've doubtless realized that the barrel thread is your micrometer for determining how thick the shim must be. 

Have to wonder how it got that way.  Terrible workmanship to leave the barrel fitting in such a state. Is the barrel perhaps from a different rifle?  That could explain it.

A very old British motorcycle mechanics' bodge would be to saturate a piece of string with gasket shellac, (Aviation Form-a-Gasket), wrap it around the shank a few turns, and pull it all up tight.  Shocked  Only if you don't plan to take the thing apart again, however!   Grin

IP Logged

Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2019 at 12:46am
Print Post  
My guess that someone who owned this at one was probably referrred to as hamfisted, maybe he thought the problem was the barrel wasn’t threaded 26 per inch Cheesy

Possibly repeated over torquing, the model number  is not as sharp As some others I have, maybe someone tried to “true” the face. Who really knows. Numbers match so hope fully it’s the original barrel, it does shoot well.

Problem is needing about 10 MOA adjustment to zero. Cry

I think I can get most of that back with a simple shim, so will probably try that before anything permanent.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2019 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
Dellet it is actually an easy fix and it only takes a few minutes to preform. Please read my PM to you explaining this very simple process and I hope it is helpful.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2019 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 12:19pm:
Dellet it is actually an easy fix and it only takes a few minutes to preform. Please read my PM to you explaining this very simple process and I hope it is helpful.

Would you share that with all of us, John?

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2019 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
I will leave that up to Dellet if he would like to share it. I am not overly welcomed here and just not up to the negative reactions that would then come about.

IP Logged

Oldman1950

Reply #10 - May 2nd, 2019 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
JL    I visit this board almost every day because so many great ideas and knowledge are shared here. I have seen the negative BS that a few folks love to throw around. JUST IGNORE the crap and PLEASE feel free to share your thoughts and Ideas.

A. J. Palik

IP Logged

Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - May 2nd, 2019 at 10:59pm
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 4:37pm:
JLouis wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 12:19pm:

Would you share that with all of us, John?

Basically peening the surface of the action to raise the metal then touching it up to uniform the height.

The issue with that in this case is the constant pressure of the bolt. It might work with loctite, but may not be the best application. It’s not all that uncommon of a thing.

I made a .005” shim tonigt and it’s too much. Since it was the thinnest material I have on hand, it will be a couple days.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 2nd, 2019 at 11:58pm
Print Post  
Akin to knurling a shaft to tighten the fit of a ball bearing race. 

Wouldn't be pretty, but it would work, and done carefully it would not show once the barrel is on. 

You say .005" shim was too much?  How much rotation needed to bring the flats into alignment after hand-tight with that shim in place?  Don't be afraid to use a wrench. One flat is nominally .0063".  When I'm rebarreling I like to set up to require about .002" crush when screwing the barrel in. That will stiffen the barrel/frame joint. In other words, a bit more than 1/4 of a flat from the point where it is hand tight to the final index position.

IP Logged

Dellet
Senior Forum Member

Reply #13 - May 3rd, 2019 at 12:17am
Print Post  
uscra112 wrote on May 2nd, 2019 at 11:58pm:
Akin to knurling a shaft to tighten the fit of a ball bearing race. 

Wouldn't be pretty, but it would work, and done carefully it would not show once the barrel is on. 

You say .005" shim was too much?  How much rotation needed to bring the flats into alignment after hand-tight with that shim in place?  Don't be afraid to use a wrench. One flat is nominally .0063".  When I'm rebarreling I like to set up to require about .002" crush when screwing the barrel in. That will stiffen the barrel/frame joint. In other words, a bit more than 1/4 of a flat from the point where it is hand tight to the final index position. 

I would call it half a flat off at hand tight. When torqued down as far as I was comfortable it was probably off center about half scope screw hole, maybe a bit less.

Punched another hole in the shim stock, polished both sides a few minutes with 800 grit and it’s ready for a test fire. It was probably as much having a polished surface as the material removed that helped it go.

It will be interesting to see the impact shift.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 3rd, 2019 at 1:17am
Print Post  
Keep us posted.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint