Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Got a real education shooting with flags today (Read 2413 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Got a real education shooting with flags today
May 2nd, 2019 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
In my attempt to become proficient at breech seating my 32/40 I headed to the range for my third outing, this time packing 2 wind flags that I set at 16 yards and 50 yards with the target at 100.  The early morning wind was gentle but a switching headwind sometimes left, sometimes right and sometimes one flag in each direction.  By taking my time and trying to pick the same condition I shot a 237, my best group by far in my very short career.  Still there was lots of horizontal as the conditions were close but not always the same and I held the same each shot not having any experience in how far the bullet would get pushed to try to hold into the wind.  My next group was a real disaster as the wind picked up considerably and was blowing from the left at 45 degrees but switching to from right frequently and gusts making the tail stand out straight at times.  I soon gave up trying to shoot a group and decided to learn how much a 170 gr bullet would get pushed.  Wow, how does anybody ever shoot a 250!  Those bullets would move 4 or 5 rings easily.  I then shot a third group this time using 12.4 gr of AA#9 and managed to control the windage as the wind became more constant from the left at about 60 degrees but the vertical spread shows that this charge isn't in tune or even close.  Every trip has been a learning curve and now I have a routine of extracting the spent case, flaring the mouth, extracting the primer, cleaning the primer pocket and then charging the case with pre-loaded vials of powder.  I raise the barrel after inserting the brass and then settle back into the bags, set the trigger, aim then wait for my condition to magically appear again to fire.  By the time you extract the case and do all of this again the wind has sometimes changed a dozen times!  Again, my hat is off to all of you who shoot the 25 ring out.  In the 6ppc days we shot for group and not score so you didn't have to worry about where your first shot hit in the condition you decided was going to prevail.  Before my next trip I need to come up with a better front bag for resting the barrel in as the one I selected out of my collection left lots to be desired.  Is there a commercially built front bag designed for resting barrels?  One last question for this week, what is the time frame in competition for getting your 10 shots off benchrest?  Thanks.  Tom  (a very humble rookie)  Tongue

Twitter  
IP Logged

oughtsix
ASSRA Board Member

Re: Got a real education shooting with flags today
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2019 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the club.  When you find your wind condition, shoot as fast as you can. Or have great patience. The best shooters are patient. I'm quick😐

ASSRA  & OGCA Life member, TSGC, NRA
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2019 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the introduction to the conditions and how much they actually pertain. It is what separates the men from the boys in the achieving the ultimate in accuracy our friend.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2019 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
  Welcome to the club! We've humbled a few modern bench shooters who thought they could easily "clean our clocks". Firstly, don't take your gun out of the rest. Secondly, don't be so stingy with the powder. Move slowly up to 15 grains.
Don't quit, it's great fun!

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

― Anonymous Greek Proverb

IP Logged

JerryH
Oldtimer

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2019 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Welcome to the insanity of Schuetzen bench rest shooting. The trip on the way to success can be frustrating, but oh so much fun. Just remember, obsession is your friend!  Cheesy

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2019 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
I second not disturbing the rifle on the bench between shots. I tip the cartridge up and rotate it into the breach. Welcome to the wind flag club  Cheesy  The day I shot my first 250 the conditions were about 7.5 mph flipping from about 270 to 360 degrees.  I tried to shoot at  315 degrees. When the last bullet when in, I wondered how did that happen?  Huh  In my excitement, I started shooting 24s on the second target  Sad  Finally got my wits about myself and finished up with a 497. One of the few targets I remember.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

jfeldman
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Tom, you mentioned earlier about getting a new bullet mold and I noticed you're shooting a 170 gr bullet.  Most guys are shooting a heavier bullet to try and minimize the drift from the wind - 190 to around 210 gr depending on the rifling twist in your barrel.  Just a thought..............  Looks like you're well on your way!  Good luck!

Regards, Joe

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2019 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Wait until you start shooting 500-1000 yds., and the wind changes numerous times from your muzzle to the target! And then you wonder what it's doing 50'-60' above your shooting position when it reaches the peak of the bullet's arc before dropping into the target!
But the sound of that ding when it hits the gong will put a huge smile on your face!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2019 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
There is nothing that compares to 1,000 yards  Cool

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 2nd, 2019 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
My barrel is an original Winchester that left New Haven in 1893 so it has a 16 twist.  I don't think it would like 200 grain bullets.  I modified my front bag this afternoon so hopefully I have better tracking.  I will leave the rifle in the rest next week and see how I fare.  I haven't shot over flags in probably 10 years and let me tell you it is not like riding a bicycle!  I am glad I only used 2 for 100 yard shooting as my brain would have malfunctioned if I set up and tried to comprehend 4 like I used to.  Even then everybody else shot with 5 at 100 yards but my head hurt bad enough with 4!   Lips Sealed  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2019 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
That ol' Winchester barrel might like a bullet of that weight if it's not a long-nosed or pointy sort of bullet. Mine, a bit older than yours, loves two bullets that are just under 200 gr. One needs to be a tick or two faster to not yaw a bit on the target, but still accurate at that. Try some before you give in.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 3rd, 2019 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
My first rifle was a 32-40 that loved a 195 gr flat point bullet.  Best target it shot was on the 24-25 line, one hole, about 3/4" CL-CL, early morning match in the shade on a black target.  I could not see where they were hitting after the first few 25's.  A few got their centers into the 24  Embarrassed

My .33 that ends in 17.5 twist shoots 250s with at 213 gr flat point bullet when ever I'm up to the task.  Huh

IP Logged

Skalkaho
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 3rd, 2019 at 1:56pm
Print Post  
It cracks me up when I put out my flags at our Range and these guys around me have no clue about the wind.  There shooting when A nice 8 mph comes thru,then comment that the other day they were dropping them right in there and today there all over the place. I just smile now.........

May the Bullet Gods be with you.......

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2019 at 11:37am
Print Post  
I will give you the best wind advice I every got.
Years ago I complimented a shooter on his wind doping ability. He told my he was a lousy wind doper. He told me he waited till his condition came back and he waited as long as it took.
Thats the best advice I ever got don't get antsy wait till those flags are the same not kinda like what the last shot was.

40 Rod

IP Logged

.22-5-40
Oldtimer

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2019 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
When I made my set of wind flags/stands, I set them up in the yard to see how they worked, and my wife came out and said "Oh, wind callers!"  Yep, that's about right, it can be dead calm at the range & as soon as   I set them up the wind picks up!  That was good advice 40_Rod...some of the old masters like Rowland would take two days to shoot a group!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint