Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Got a real education shooting with flags today (Read 1406 times)
John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Re: Got a real education shooting with flags today
Reply #15 - May 7th, 2019 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Tom, here's some reading material for you:
* (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
* (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
And how to see the details of mirage - look at the target with your scope out of focus

Regards
John
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 8th, 2019 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
The wind and mirage are actually your very best friends. It is that dead calm one believes is there that always has a hidden condition that cannot be seen. Making it impossible to adjust too that is the very worst enemy. It will kick your behind everytime without that least bit of sympathy and it will make one wail and weep wondering what the heck is going on with what why and how come?

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #17 - May 11th, 2019 at 10:10am
Print Post  
You can have bullets deviate outside the bulls eye on calm days.

You need to learn to call both the wind and the mirage to obtain the best scores in a competition or to shoot your own tightest group.

The ability to call the wind will help you to better tune your rifle since the group size is less influenced by the wind and mirage which has been compensated for.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2019 at 10:19am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - May 11th, 2019 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
By far the most important aspect of successful competitive shooting or just possibly wanting to achieve the smallest groups. Is having the ability to call each and every shot and if not there is absolutely no way to know if it's you, the conditions, your setup, load or something pertaining to the rifle itself when shooting off the bench.

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - May 12th, 2019 at 9:45am
Print Post  
I agree with you on the importance of being able to call your shots accurately.  While I mostly play a different game than you, when practicing I plot each and every shot I make and include the shot call as part of it.  It definitely helps you understand any errors you are making and enables you to figure out how to correct them.  In a match it also helps reduce sight correction errors Smiley

Chris.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 12th, 2019 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Some just like to get out and shoot, some try to get the most out of what they might be shooing and some might want to become extremely competive. Either way if the bullet does go where one calls to be when the trigger breaks the outcome is always the same leaving one wondering how come and why? Once one can get all of it sorted out and can now call each and every shot. He is on the high road to achieving the very best out of both himself and his rifle and it is called Marksmanship.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 12th, 2019 at 5:32pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 4:15pm:
Some just like to get out and shoot, some try to get the most out of what they might be shooing and some might want to become extremely competive. Either way if the bullet does go where one calls to be when the trigger breaks the outcome is always the same leaving one wondering how come and why? Once one can get all of it sorted out and can now call each and every shot. He is on the high road to achieving the very best out of both himself and his rifle and it is called Marksmanship.

What is the tolerance of your call JL?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - May 12th, 2019 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Zero Bob it's either good or bad and the good ones have exceeded the bad due to hard work, total dedication and time. I am what you might call a perfectionist so I have never self accepted those that are close as being good. And believe me the bad ones are still there but just not as many in the past. I also shoot to hit the number 25 in the 25 ring and not just to get the bullet inside the ring itself. How often does it occur not often enough by any means but it has always been my ultimate goal. It is also the same goal my good friend Jerry Hartwig has always had and through his own dedication and hard work he has become allot better at now than myself as it should. I have been heading into my has been years health issues have are taken there toll. But as my good Friend Duane Jenner has always pointed it's better to have been a has been than a never was. Don't get me wrong I still intend to finish in the top three and will never lay down and die it's just a bit more challenging to get up to being number one.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #23 - May 12th, 2019 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Calling your shot is essential, if you want to improve results. True in any shooting sport not just rifle shooting. Pull the trigger call the shot† then confirm the strike. If they donít match what happened to cause off call.† Then correct next shot..

Itís Essential to good performance. Offhand at 200 I want to call strikes to 2 MOA, and mark strike and call on a target duplicate beside me.

Boats

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #24 - May 12th, 2019 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 6:17pm:
Zero Bob it's either good or bad and the good ones have exceeded the bad due to hard work, total dedication and time. I am what you might call a perfectionist so I have never self accepted those that are close as being good. And believe me the bad ones are still there but just not as many in the past. I also shoot to hit the number 25 in the 25 ring and not just to get the bullet inside the ring itself. How often does it occur not often enough by any means but it has always been my ultimate goal. It is also the same goal my good friend Jerry Hartwig has always had and through his own dedication and hard work he has become allot better at now than myself as it should. I have been heading into my has been years health issues have are taken there toll. But as my good Friend Duane Jenner has always pointed it's better to have been a has been than a never was. Don't get me wrong I still intend to finish in the top three and will never lay down and die it's just a bit more challenging to get up to being number one.

When you shoot to hit the little space between the 2 and the 5, how often do you call the hit there?  How often do you call a 24?

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

GWarden

Reply #25 - May 12th, 2019 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
I totally agree with JLouis about not just trying to hit the 25 ring, but concentrate for the very center of the twenty five ring and visualize the shot going to that spot- it helps. Guess that is "concentration".
Bob
Iowa

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - May 12th, 2019 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
BobZ when the trigger breaks I typically already know where the bullet is going to end up. More times than not I already know just how badly I screwed up and long before I dare to look through my spotting scope. How many times do I actually wipe out or touch the number 25? In all honesty very few but the shot will typically be a 25 and not a 24 or possibly being even worst. The rifle is capable and I know that am too but the conditions over rule the both and it is not untypical to make a wrong condition call. Not a bad thing by any means but there is no excuse when the trigger breaks and instantly knowing full well it had nothing to do with the conditions but it was me who screwed up.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - May 12th, 2019 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
GameWarden intense concentration on the Crosshairs and the exact point on the target while also typically having to hold off. If the crosshairs are not in the same exact place when the rifle goes off one should instantly know where on that target that shot will end up.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #28 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:55am
Print Post  
Seems to me you would be messing up nearly every shot with a tolerance of plus or minus "0" and not having all of them between the 2 and the 5.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - May 13th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
BobZ it's the same approch used to shoot small groups with the added challenge of having to place those small groups into the center of an 1 1/2 circle. The tolerance for placing each shot through the same hole for either group or score would be the same would it not.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint