Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Stevens 44 Hammer Play (Read 338 times)
Johnny Dollar

Stevens 44 Hammer Play
May 2nd, 2019 at 11:05pm
Print Post  
O.k. Stupid Stevens newby ignorance on display here so go easy on me.  Just rebuilt a 44 in 25-20 SS.  Got it as a basket case - but - she had a tight action and great rifling.  Sent her barrel off to Gail at CPA and had it shortened and rechambered to 25 WCF.  While that was going on I carved a stock out of curly maple and rebuled the metal.  Came out more or less passable, from a distance...!  Got a problem I cannot live with...the hammer has side-to-side play of less than 1/16” but it’s gotta’ go.  Any ideas?

Thank You for the help!!

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Oldtimer

Re: Stevens 44 Hammer Play
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2019 at 9:07am
Print Post  
I bought a couple of water-cut blanks for Stevens 44 hammers from Rodney Storie.  The top needs rounding and checkering with a file, and the little lug that slips under the breechblock needs narrowing slightly, but otherwise, there’s plenty of width for the gap in the frame, and it fit the trigger and mainspring in my parts gun as well as a real 44 hammer.

It will require case-hardening after it is fitted to the gun.

Alternatively, you could make a new hammer screw that’s a tighter fit in the hole in your hammer.  Hammer would still be smaller than the slot, but at least it wouldn’t wobble from side to side.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 19th, 2019 at 1:50am
Print Post  
I also bought a couple of those blanks.  They are thicker than the receiver slot is wide, so I've been wishing to meet someone with a Blanchard in their shop to thin them down for me for several years now. 

If I remember right, he cut them out of a high carbon steel, so they'd have to be through-hardened.  A deep search of the forum archives may turn up the thread.

IP Logged

n.r.davis

Reply #3 - May 19th, 2019 at 8:25am
Print Post  
If the Hammer Screw is a good tight fit and you are talking side to side play in the opening than I would make up some shims...
The 44 action I have is rough inside so a little cleaning up on the bosses is in order.  "Aluminum Coil Stock" from a Home Improvement Store is dirt cheep, cuts easy with good Scissors.
Ugly, you becha!  Works? Good to go.  David

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 19th, 2019 at 9:20am
Print Post  
A little side-to-side hammer play isn't going to make the arm dysfunctional.  Nor will radial play on the pivot screw.

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 19th, 2019 at 10:54am
Print Post  
ck with a feeler gage to se how much u need----divide by 2 -.005 and make some out of plastic ---popbottle tops come to mind

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint