Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 32rf To 22rf (Read 665 times)
Flatlander
Senior Forum Member

32rf To 22rf
May 5th, 2019 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
How difficult is it to convert Winchester 1885 LoWall with trash bore in 32rf to 22lr? Looking for cost effective ideas. Thanks.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: 32rf To 22rf
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2019 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
Drill out the shot-out barrel with a piloted drill, glue or solder in a .22LR liner, cut extractor slot, extend extractor and chamber.  You may want to cut away the bottom of the breech end of the barrel and fit a .22 extractor.  MVA, C. Sharps and other outfits should have a blank extractor for sale.

You may need to make a new link with slightly longer spacing so the .32RF firing pin rises enough to hit the rim of the .22LR, but you may get lucky and it might work fine as-is.

IP Logged

Flatlander
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2019 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
Doesn't sound too difficult. Should be a doable project even for someone with two left thumbs like me. Thanks.
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2019 at 2:52am
Print Post  
The drilling operation is best done on a lathe.  And commercial liner drills have a pilot that's too small to guide in a .32 RF bore.  Still worth a try.

IP Logged

Flatlander
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2019 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
My biggest concern was aligning firing pin with smaller rim. If a different link will solve that problem everything else sounds peachy
Flatlander

NRA Life
ASSRA Member 3197
Charcoal Burner

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
Going from 32 to a 5/16" liner does not take much. A standard 5/16" drill bit will take the rifling out which is all you need to do. No need for a piloted drill as your only opening it up to groove diameter. I did a Frank Wesson a while back and it worked fine. Making a new link may not work as well as some think. It changes the hammer sear engagement. It's not to hard to drill a new hole in the breach, cut off the old firing pin and install a new pin in the old firing pin body. The hard part would be fitting a 22 rim fire extractor. The way they are set up the cut in the barrel hold the extractor up so the brass does not bulge on the bottom.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2019 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
  Back to now.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“Society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in.”

― Anonymous Greek Proverb

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2019 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
John Taylor wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 3:26pm:
Going from 32 to a 5/16" liner does not take much. A standard 5/16" drill bit will take the rifling out which is all you need to do. No need for a piloted drill as your only opening it up to groove diameter. I did a Frank Wesson a while back and it worked fine. Making a new link may not work as well as some think. It changes the hammer sear engagement. It's not to hard to drill a new hole in the breach, cut off the old firing pin and install a new pin in the old firing pin body. The hard part would be fitting a 22 rim fire extractor. The way they are set up the cut in the barrel hold the extractor up so the brass does not bulge on the bottom.

Yes. The centerline of the pin tip only has to move about .050 closer to the centerline of the chamber.  The diameter of the firing pin body in a Winchester is plenty to accommodate that.

Buy a good quality liner.  I once bought half a dozen cheap from Numrich.  Cheap because they were oversize on the O.D., which caused me no end of trouble.   I knew better, and did it anyway.  Embarrassed   

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint