Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lacquer on cch? (Read 1577 times)
Amoretti

Lacquer on cch?
May 6th, 2019 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
I recently got my Borchardt receiver back from Wyoming Armory for color case hardening.  Very pleased with the job they did.

Question.  I am considering some protective coating to both protect the cch and perhaps brighten up the look.

What is the current thinking on best appropriate clear finishes for an action like this? Or leave it alone.

Thanks, John

IP Logged

TDW
Junior Forum Member

Re: Lacquer on cch?
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Amoretti
  Steve Garbe at Wyoming Armory told me they used Formby's low gloss tung oil on their case hardened finishes. I tried some on a rather nice Low wall that I have. I decreased the action with alcohol, and I applied the tung oil with a lint free rag. I let it dry for a few days in my shop. The finish looked great and has proved to be very durable. I wouldn't hesitate to use it again, should the old finish start to come off.
Tom

"The farther North you go, the more things you will run into that will eat your horse."
S.P. Garbe, Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness, 1980

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 6th, 2019 at 3:05pm
Print Post  
You will get some answers here. I use plain Tung Oil, from a good paint store. I dries smooth, with a minor amount of shine and, best of all, is that if it gets removed in use or cleaning it is as easy as dampening a rag and putting on a new finish.
I learned it from an old Colt collector, and never searched further.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - May 6th, 2019 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
I used to use laquer or clear Wipe On Poly to seal my cased actions. But it's a little too shiny for my taste, so I switched. Now I simply rub the action with Minn Wax paste, and then buff it with a soft cloth. They come out nice, and get just enough sheen to make them look good. And the wax protects them, and can be reapplied as needed.

This was my last one done, and it's just waxed and buffed.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

craigster
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2019 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Renaissance Wax.

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2019 at 11:31am
Print Post  
Leave it alone for a few years till it goes soft New CC always look too sharp and britle for my taste.

40 Rod

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2019 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
New CCH looks too flat for my taste.

Whatever laquer they used at Ballard when it was in Cody is tougher than anything I've ever seen. Nothing will remove it. Not acetone, paint thinner, or anything short of sandpaper! But it can be scratched and leave a dull mark. Once that happens, whatever handling marks it gets are there forever as nothing will remove them.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
This is my Rolling Block case hardened by Wyoming Armory. It had a pretty deep etch or matte finish when it came back which shouldn't wear off. Two coats of Minwax wipe-on poly gave it a nice soft glow.

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time" Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

Amoretti

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2019 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
JS,

Did you use gloss or semi gloss?

John

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie

Reply #9 - May 9th, 2019 at 6:38am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 1:31pm:

Whatever laquer they used at Ballard when it was in Cody is tougher than anything I've ever seen. Nothing will remove it. Not acetone, paint thinner, or anything short of sandpaper! But it can be scratched and leave a dull mark. Once that happens, whatever handling marks it gets are there forever as nothing will remove them.

Don Menk used Baking Lacquer when people requested a protective finish on the action.  That might be what Ballard used on your action.  It can be touched up.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 9th, 2019 at 7:56am
Print Post  
cheatin_charlie wrote on May 9th, 2019 at 6:38am:
marlinguy wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 1:31pm:

Don Menk used Baking Lacquer when people requested a protective finish on the action. That might be what Ballard used on your action. It can be touched up.

It could be a clear enamel which is tougher than laquer.

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2019 at 8:51am
Print Post  
I know for a fact it was baking lacquer Don used I saw him apply it many times.
He had an old lathe that had threaded inserts that would fit in the barrel threads and he would coat the action when it was turning at slow speed.  The rotation would stop runs in the finish.  He had an old oven he would bake the action and parts in after the lacquer air dried.

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #12 - May 9th, 2019 at 10:17am
Print Post  
Hi Charlie, I probably didn't do a very good job of highlighting. I was referring to the finish that Vall mentions is so tough on the Cody Ballards Clear enamel is tougher than lacquer and shouldn't be affected by acetone or most bore solvents.  Don Menk did beautiful case coloring and it's too bad he's not with us today.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #13 - May 9th, 2019 at 10:30am
Print Post  
Indeed the Cody Ballard finish might be touched up, but without removing the old finish it wont look right. A scar in the existing finish will end up still showing if it can't be blended out. And we know that sanding the existing finish to blend the edges of a scrape in that clear coat just isn't possible.
So unless there's some stripper I don't know of that removes the baked on finish, it will remain as is.

IP Logged

ww

Reply #14 - May 9th, 2019 at 12:24pm
Print Post  
I've used the case color lacquer from Brownells, drys to fast and leaves streaks.
TrueCoat (DuraCoat Products) spray and bake 200 or cures in 1 to 2 weeks. It looks like a coat of clear (thicker than i like). Removed with Acetone befor curing .
I've been using Wipe on Polly  gloss. Wiped on in several coats with a large cleaning patch until the shine goes away and looks like rubbed wood. It takes about 4 damp coats. Cures hard in about a week and can be touch upped. If too shiny it can be dulled with 400 steel wool dampened with Polly
WW

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint