Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What accuracy do you expect from an original rifle (Read 910 times)
Dales
Senior Forum Member

What accuracy do you expect from an original rifle
May 6th, 2019 at 10:29pm
Print Post  
I have been working with an original Stevens #52 in 28-30 . I would like to shoot an original Schuetzen rifle that I feel I have a chance to shoot a 250 with . The best 100yd groups I have gotten so far are 1/2 to 9/16".

What size groups should I expect from an original Rifle with it's original barrel ?
Would another rifle and or caliber have a better chance to acheive my desired goal.

Thanks for any imput
Dales

IP Logged

RSW
Oldtimer

Re: What accuracy do you expect from an original rifle
Reply #1 - May 6th, 2019 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Dales
1/2 to 9/16" fit within the 25 ring (3/4") of the 100 yard German ring target. There's your 250. You'll have to shoot at 200 yard German ring target to see if your accuracy holds.
You are off to a good start.

Randy W
ASSRA 10211  -  ISSA 125
Saying guns kill people, makes about a much sense as saying, a pencil creates my drawings.
IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:57pm
Print Post  
9/16 may fit in the 25 ring but not enough room for wind reading errors . I would be happier with 3/8" groups , but are they possible with original rifles ?
Dales

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #3 - May 7th, 2019 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
Dales wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 12:57pm:
9/16 may fit in the 25 ring but not enough room for wind reading errors . I would be happier with 3/8" groups , but are they possible with original rifles ?
Dales

The type of groups you're seeking are pretty much what the present record is for benchrest with these guns, old or new. Can they do it? Sometimes. But I sure wouldn't expect it all the time.
  CW Rowland's 200 yd. benchrest record was .722" with a Pope barreled Ballard. If I was getting the groups you are, I'd be tickled to death!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 7th, 2019 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Dale,
To tell you the truth, I have never heard of 9/16" groups, from a 28/30 before, even a modern one. I think you've made that rifle a very, very valuable one!

I think, at this point, a more aerodynamic bullet would be the next step for wind and work with the load a little more. Shooting it more could also help reduce the groups.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2019 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Frank I am shooting a Mos 149 grain bullet . I did not think it would be stable but it seems to be . Have not had a chance to shoot only a few shots at 200 yds but the holes where round.  Our first match this week end if the wind is not to bad I will give it a try.
Dales

IP Logged

craigd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2019 at 6:37pm
Print Post  
You should consider shooting it, whatever the conditions. Maybe, don't worry about reading the wind, but start getting experience with consistency and predictability when things aren't comfortable.

IP Logged

Dales
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2019 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Not Being able to read the wind always makes me uncomfortable that's why I use 233 grain bullets in my 32 RKS ,it will shoot groups half the size the 28-30 does and missed wind conditions will still put holes well outside of the 25 ring .
Dales

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2019 at 2:57pm
Print Post  
3/8 five shot groups at a 100 yards are indeed very doable for the rifle itself Dale and don't let anyone try to convince it is not. Reading and adjusting for the conditions is a long and hard earned skill that only time at the range with that rifle can teach. You have shown it can shoot and without changing a thing go out when the conditions are at there very worst. If doing load development it's a different approach and to be done when they are at their very best. It's also important to have good wind flags and to place out enough to provide a full picture of what is going on from the front of the bench to the target itself. They also have to be sensitive enough to pickup the smallest wisp of air so you can learn how and when to hold off a half bullet diameter or more to achieve the best of small group or score success. I use four at a 100 but I also have five and the more the better to see what's actually going on down range as well as what might be taking place between one wind flag to the next.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2019 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Years back when shooting a 6ppc benchrest rifle in competition at 100 yards I had the pleasure of sharing my bench with Lester Bruno of Bruno's Shooters Supply, a HOF shooter.  The course of fire was 5 shots for score and unlimited sighters in a 7 minute period.  Lester banged away for what seemed forever for around 6 minutes in every wind condition.  The last minute he moved up to the score target and fired 5 shots in the remaining time by holding off what he had learned in the first 6 minutes.  When the targets were gathered to score he was way up near the top as usual and left me wondering what kind of memory it must have taken to perform that feat.  Shooting in ideal conditions makes for a trigger pulling contest but when the wind is swirling and changing constantly the masters show us rookies how the hog ate the cabbage!  Grin  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 8th, 2019 at 10:20pm
Print Post  
Tom not a Miraculous Event by any means and everyone here can also easily achieve the same. It can't be taught by those sitting behind their computers telling others how it can be done. If they have not been able to accomplish it themselves they should be selling beach front property in Arizona to those who don't have a clue that no such thing even exists.

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 9th, 2019 at 1:37am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on May 8th, 2019 at 10:20pm:
Tom not a Miraculous Event by any means and everyone here can also easily achieve the same. It can't be taught by those sitting behind their computers telling others how it can be done.

Yes

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint