Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Offhand scope power help (Read 904 times)
critter68

Offhand scope power help
May 8th, 2019 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
I'm a beginner and I have 12x scopes for offhand.  Too much?   Any feedback appreciated

ASSRA #12031
NRA LIFE #194353342

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Offhand scope power help
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2019 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
No, 12X is not too much for offfhand. I could handle 15X on a good day, but liked 10X better.
I've seen shooter using 36X offhand, John Ardito for one.
For 200 yard offhand, many shooters use 6X and up. After watching for many years, I believe that as power goes up from 6X or so, scores don't go up much. I was regularly beaten by shooters wirh Iron sights.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 8th, 2019 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
I used 20X all of the time except for when I was using my Night Force 12X42 BR and I left it on 42X for offhand as well as for bench. And a scope with a Dot always worked out to be the best for myself.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2019 at 3:07pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2019 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
Colleen (Molendyke) Pipke has scored OffHand a 462/500 using a Weaver 36T scope and a 455/500 using a Redfield International Iron sight.

I use a 24X Burris to shoot offhand and I have used the 36T scope as well.

I prefer my 24X scope because it has better clarity than the 36X scopes.
However the magnification of the 36X scope I could see the crosshair moving towards the center and could better time when to pull the trigger.

Yes top offhand shooters can hold the rifle a bit steadier but they also have trained themselves to know how to time their shots for the movement of the crosshairs.

When you first start shooting OH a low power scope does not indicate the rapid movements and it may be beneficial; but experienced shooters use larger magnification scopes even though they show rapid movements of the crosshairs. Large power scopes can be used to increase the accuracy of your scores once you develop the techniques to use them.

IP Logged

OLD TUCK

Reply #4 - May 8th, 2019 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
We have had a couple of very High score shooters here who for many years
preached that the better you could see where you were the better you could shoot. And they proved it many times over with all kinds of rifles. Single Shot,
Bolt action High Power, Small Bore at 50', Both have now passed but they were our Anchor Team shooters. John Ardito, and Preston Cambell. They are missed. FITZ. OLD TUCK Smiley
P.S. I do not think they ever used any thing less than 20X and often 30X Plus.

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 8th, 2019 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
I have used 20 and 36 most of the last 30 years for offhand.  I'm trying 12 now, but the bottom line is I need to spend more time practicing.  When I shot a lot of matches, my 100 shot was usually a few points shy of 2100, now my scores are about 2000.  To much time spent traveling and doing honey do list  Undecided  Bottom line is what are you comfortable with, being able to comfortably lift and hold the rifle without any fatigue and having a good stable with natural point of aim position letting your bones support everything. Follow through is essential.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

bnice
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 8th, 2019 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
The nice thing about using a variable scope is you can adjust it down on bad days and up on good.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 8th, 2019 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Whether 12X is too much or not is up to the individual. As your offhand skills increase, with practice, your ability to hold will increase and you wont be bothered as much by the apparent wobble of the higher power. If you like the 12X go with it. If it frustrates you, try a 6,8 or ten and see if you like the lower power better. Many people start with a lower power and work up to the higher power as their skills increase.
I hope you find this useful.
Joe S

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2019 at 7:15am
Print Post  
High power for offhand flourished with silhouette shooting. Very small targets with no distinct aiming point, high power you can pick your spot. Silhouette has a short relay time too.

Bullseye Targets Offhand another thing. Distinct center makes finding the right spot much easier. Really offhand at its simplest is training to pull the trigger when you see the right sight picture. Advantage to lower power is you see the picture good enough without the distracting shake and wobble. Aggressive on the trigger makes for good Offhand scores. Hesitant will give you off shots, dressing up the sight picture makes many hesitant .

When I Shot modern silhouette always had my scopes on 20x. Schuetzen Rifle used to use 20x went to 12x and could Shoot scores just as good with 5x. Itís likely because I shoot mostly iron sight and donít have to alter my approach and trigger breaks when switching iron to scope. Limiting offhand to Modern Silhouette and any sight Schuetzen would probably use 20x both.

Use what you can shoot best but be careful when you go high power, it can have pitfalls.

Boats

IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2019 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Some people will tell you low power (around 5) is best others Higher. Its all personal. I once asked a top offhand shooter why he used a 32 power. He told me because he couldn't find a 40.

$0 Rod

IP Logged

Schuetzenmiester
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2019 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
I once upon a time knew a high power silhouette shooter who had a scope bumped up to 56x.  I wondered how he knew when he was in the right target. I don't remember what I was shooting, probably 24 to 32.  I had to be careful to get the targets in the right order.

"some old things are lovely, warm still with life ... of the forgotten men who made them." - D.H. Lawrence

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2019 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
Itís important to determine what will improve your offhand scores. Remember what Harry Pope said ď itís the absence of bad shots that make your score ď

If you have the skill level to break all acceptable shots within the black and want to reduce the size of Offhand groups adding points to scores you should use as much power as you can hold.†

On the other hand if your scores are limited by flyers and ďoffĒ shots itís likely you will make gains by aggressive† trigger pulls as the rifle moves into the aiming bull. Dressing up your pull generally gives negative results† Lack of strikes on white paper outside the rings or off the paper entirely will probably give scores well over 210 on the ASSRA target.†

How much power is linked to skill level . Wait until you can keep them all in the black before cranking up power is my advise.† Others may see it different.

Boats
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2019 at 6:09am by boats »  

IP Logged

rafter3c
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - May 12th, 2019 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
If your in  competition where conditions, like mirage, is a factor I found 24X was the highest I could shoot before experience  diminishing return with higher power. With 20X-24X you still have enough power to watch changing conditions and make adjustments OH plus see the 25 ring at 200 yards.
I won my first rifle at Coors Schuetzenfest in Golden using a T10. I quickly realized I needed more power to stay up with 220 and 230 shooters. Redfield was nice enough to supply me with a 6400 24X and never looked back. The 20X-24X also makes for BR and OH.
Remember changing conditions are the number one factor in 200 yard winning.
KL

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 12th, 2019 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
" Remember changing conditions are the number one factor in 200 yard winning "
Ken truer words have not been spoken and often times ignored in Offhand. Just recently at our yearly ISSA Regional Match. I noticed a flag possibly two laying on the ground and I had personally thought that the wind had blew them over and why they were now laying on the ground. When I brought it to the attention of the gentleman now starting to get ready to shoot the offhand portion of the match that they belonged too. He very casually said I layed them down and I don't use them for offhand.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:26am
Print Post  
John I donít use flags offhand either. I do watch wind conditions very carefully. Many matches donít allow personal flags and they add a mental complication . If I Shot bench would use flags .

Day before and morning of the match check the NWS forecast for the nearest Airport. Airport because speed and direction are recorded and can not only forecast, confirm my match day observations day after the match. Forecast call and confirm makes a better wind reader .

While shooting and after confirming the ranges compass orientation ( winds angle makes a major difference) I use natural indicators,† trees, grass, dust off backstop strikes† smoke from other shooters guns. Best of all is mirage, easily read through the spotting scope most times .

From my forecast, observations, and most important sighter strikes on target most and least adverse condition make my wind plan.

While shooting the actual match offhand my objective is to fire all shots in the same condition. This means watching my key indicator and waiting out the wind.† Most winds back and fill . Speed builds direction fills then backs off. Once itís reached itís peak drop off is swift until it starts building/filling again . Back side is were I want to break my shot.

I can and do shade my shot break and shoot into a gust always knowing if I am shooting into building or falling wind. And only if the condition is minor understanding how much the bullet will drift if caught out. Never changing the sights wind adjustment

Best wind shooters wait it out .

Boats
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2019 at 6:32am by boats »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint