Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Reloading 22 rimfire. (Read 4249 times)
John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Re: Reloading 22 rimfire.
Reply #30 - May 15th, 2019 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Says ... 50 in stock
This tells me .... In 4 days they came up with 100,000 cases  Roll Eyes
Anyway, on Sunday I ordered the $49.95 kit.  This gives me 2000 more cases added to the 4xxx  that I already have, plus their goofy bullets. Enough is enough cause I've got all the other stuff needed to do the reloads

Regards
John
IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Re: FedArm 22LR Headstamp
Reply #31 - May 21st, 2019 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Mystery solved on who makes the FedArm 22LR Primed Empty cases ...
Headstamp = SO
SO      Sako A. B., (Suojeluskuntain Ase-je Konepa ja Oy), Riihimaki, Finland
All case mouths are chamfered and all cases are brass and come in 100 empties to a plastic lid container (no markings)_
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Yet, I could not find that Sako makes 22LR ammunition Roll Eyes
Plus the 2000 18gr Calibre bullets are all swaged - perfectly filled out. Add 1.7 to 2.0 Bullseye and your good to go  Wink for the 40 gr bullets Nice also, the little heeled bullets drop perfectly in the cases with no need to expand the case mouth - but the powder charge for these has to be determined
Totally pleased with the quality order!
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2019 at 9:46pm by John Boy »  

Regards
John
IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - May 22nd, 2019 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
JB,
My order showed up today and it's just as you described.  They are brass plated as they DO stick to a magnet!  If we didn't have 6" of snow on the ground #$%$^! and now it's turning to rain!  I'd be out at the range promptly sending a few down range in the fast twist Ballard - trying the breech seating thing with some 50 and 60 grain experimentals....
Greg

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - May 22nd, 2019 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
Greg,

Any way you can test a couple of cases for corrosivity of primers?  Maybe (with proper eye protection) hold 1 or 2 in a vise, with case mouth aimed at a clean & recently filed piece of iron.  Ignite priming with a center punch & hammer?  Steel cases just scream Russia.

Dick

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #34 - May 22nd, 2019 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
Dick,
I will do that this evening! I have a small test chamber already and I'll screw on a freshly machined tube.
Greg

"If you don't know what leever A does, then leever B... you Dumb@$$"  G.C. Tryon

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #35 - May 22nd, 2019 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
GT - I'll try it again ... I cut 2 empties with a knife and saw no other color than a brass color
And for the good of the order: loaded 100 of the peanuts and shot them in the basement trap - All ignited and such a small lead splash on the plate.
Also did a Cx for cost of 50 rounds: 2.0gr Bullseye and 40gr bullets = $2.21

Regards
John
IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #36 - May 22nd, 2019 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
John, Dick,

I fired a couple from a test chamber directly to a freshly machined surface, I noticed a hint of ammonia odor? one case severely marked the bare metal, the second had very little marking...? same setup and distance.  Tomorrow should tell a story.  I also cut a case apart with a pair of scissors after firing, everything about it appears to be brass but a magnet attracts it.  Attached photos.
Regards,
Greg

IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #37 - May 23rd, 2019 at 8:36am
Print Post  
Greg: I did the magnet test also - strong magnetic clamp on the case.  Cut another one and it showed no different color than brass ... confused
I'm wondering if the magnetism is in the primer compound.  The compound in all the cases is ample - nearly all the way up near the case mouth

Regards
John
IP Logged

John Boy
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA #10288 (Paid Feb
2021 - 2 Yrs)

Reply #38 - May 23rd, 2019 at 9:07am
Print Post  
No the primer compound - several spent cases also stuck to the magnet

Regards
John
IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #39 - May 23rd, 2019 at 11:15am
Print Post  
John,
They are definitely plated steel cases.  The ad stated bi-metal so I'm going to go with that.  12 hours on the plate and there's no signs indicating corrosive, a dull grey - no rust - 12 more hours should be enough? 
There is no shortage of priming compound in any that I've observed.  Just weighed a sample selection of about 25 cases, they weigh from 10.6 grains to 10.9 grains - not sure if that is a variation in compound or cases - I'll soak and clean a few fired cases and run another sample set.
I have a 40 grain healed bullet mold somewhere in the mess so I may try this next, but my real interest is with the heavier bullets and longer distances.  When the weather cooperates and I don't have a mud hole to trudge through to get to the range, I'll load and fire a few, report what I get.   
Greg

IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #40 - May 26th, 2019 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Not Colabri...I loaded up 10 or so without powder to see if they would be similar to the primer-only Colabri.  Nope, I had 4 out of 10 shots as squibs.   I was shooting them in my K-22 pistol and I unfortunately did shoot the second shot into the bullet that failed to leave the barrel.  I can't see any damage which is probably to be expected with these very low power primers.   I shot some Colabri just to check how they sounded and stopped in my bullet trap and they were louder and put a nice hole in the polyethylene sheet under the target.  The faux-Colabri just bounded off. 

Now to play around with some loads.   Is 2 gr of Bullseye still the suggestion? it seems a lot of powder.   

I really bought these to load black powder so I can shoot in the next short range black powder cartridge match.  Nobody expects black powder 22LR  Wink

Dave

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #41 - May 26th, 2019 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
2.0 gr of B'Eye, is to much for a fixed load. I sometimes poped cases with 1.8 gr, when breech seating, in a match chamber (.610 long). A sporting chamber is longer @ .775, I would start at 1.5 gr.

Factory loading is 1.8 - 2.0 gr of a ball type powder.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

UtahDave
Senior Forum Member

Reply #42 - May 26th, 2019 at 11:28pm
Print Post  
Frank, thanks.  What mold are you using for 22lr?  I don"t like these small colarbi 18 gr bullets.  I want a 40 gr or heavier.

Dave

IP Logged

GT
Oldtimer

Reply #43 - May 27th, 2019 at 1:21am
Print Post  
I wasted some time this weekend making a swaging die and some punches.  The die works fine I've just struggled quite a 
bit with the punches, the first set gave me a near perfect 60 grain bullet - did a 1/2 dozen of them before the thin edges buckled and failed... These shot very well loaded over 1.2 grains of bullseye - fixed - first photo.
I made some more punches gave the edges a little more material, thought I'd balance the bullet a little by increasing the heal section length... in my fast twist barrel even... NOTHING about this batch worked 50's or 60's.  Second photo -  I'll go back to my original style of punches and change the material and heat treat methods.

Dave,
What grade of black are you planning to use?  3F still looks fairly coarse in this little case -  Smiley
Greg

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #44 - May 27th, 2019 at 1:30am
Print Post  
Dave,
My barrel is 14 twist and I use the Lee 55 gr mold, with the GC cut off. They weight 52-53 gr in 40/1.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint