Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) My new to me Rem Hepburn. With sight/scope questio (Read 1188 times)
Gard72977

My new to me Rem Hepburn. With sight/scope questio
May 10th, 2019 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
I just received my Hepburn in 32-40. She is in very good condition with no real problems.

I bought this gun for a range gun. I'm unsure what I want to do as far as sight/scope.

Its not exceptionally valuable. Im getting older and sights are harder to use. I do very well with apature sights now but I don't know how long that will last. I'm somewhat concerned about drilling and tapping the BBL.

I'm open to most options. The thought of an original Winchester A or B5 is pretty appealling. I just don't want something with a large objective lense. I was thinking a original scope would be right at home on the old girl.

Should I look for original or buy modern scope. I planning to use the gun so I want something that will hold up and not give me trouble. No competition so fine adjustment is not a concern. I want it to look period correct.

The other option. Is a Marbles Tang sight.

Looking for advice so I don't regret tapping the barrel in the future.

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Re: My new to me Rem Hepburn. With sight/scope questio
Reply #1 - May 10th, 2019 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
As Dr. John used to sing "if I don't do it you know somebody else will". Drill that barrel, put a DZ Arms scope on the girl and enjoy the rifle, time is in short supply.

IP Logged

August West
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 10th, 2019 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Try the tang sight first, no drilling.
Personally, I like period scopes better like the A5, and since it's not a competition rifle, I'd go that way.

Auggy

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools !

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #3 - May 10th, 2019 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
I just needed a nudge in the right direction. I think the modern MVA A5 would be more serviceable than an original.

I really love this gun. The Hebpurn is my favorite single shot. It's hard to believe that there are 120yr old guns with perfect bores out there. I'm hoping she delivers good accurracy.

My friends don't understand the single shot addiction.....

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2019 at 6:58am
Print Post  
yes   mva better overall and correct look    art

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - May 11th, 2019 at 11:59am
Print Post  
Gard, full agreement. I would however suggest if you want original OLD, the Scope I would recommend be a Lyman 5A. This is the scope that was generated when Lyman bought Winchester out of the telescope business. First thing they did was replace the Optical system with a better one, and also better mounts. I have both and can say that the Lyman has superior Optics to the Winchester. By the way I am a Winchester collector. Also the last thing you would want is an original Winchester B5. That was a terrible scope. The optics were inferior to even the A5. And by the way the MVA A5 would be most likely the best decision. Still have the early look and be serviceable with the company still being around. And if you wish to try the Iron sights that will still be available, and if it does not work for you very sellable. And you will have your Telescope to fall back on. HTH helps FITZ,
OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

Kurt_701
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - May 11th, 2019 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
While it is not cheap, you might consider this. I manage to put 3 sets together.  It will be a reproduction. Make sure all the parts are available. You must find an aperture somewhere else. check here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

M-14 3rd Battalion 27th Marines RVN 68'69'

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - May 11th, 2019 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Slug that bore before loading or shooting it! Remington Hepburns in .32-40 are notorious for oversized bores, and sometimes large enough that a bullet that fits the bore wont chamber fixed ammunition!
Mine has a perfect bore, but groove diameter of .327" so I use .328" breech seated to shoot it. I have several acquaintances who own Hepburns in the .32-40, and all are larger than the usual .321"-.323" groove.
If it slugs large, it was likely set up to breech seat bullets.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2019 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Kurt_701 wrote on May 11th, 2019 at 12:34pm:
While it is not cheap, you might consider this. I manage to put 3 sets together.  It will be a reproduction. Make sure all the parts are available. You must find an aperture somewhere else. check here: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)     

I just bought and assembled two of those NOS Remington sight sets. One took some valve lapping compound on the threads to get it to free up, and turn easily enough by hand. About 10 minutes work.
The 2nd one was a huge ordeal and took over an hour to get it working and fitting together. The larger cross adjustment screw diameter was so tight I had to tap the base to even get it started. Then had to lap the smaller left hand threads. Then the dovetail between base and globe was oversized, and it had to be draw filed to get proper clearance, and final lapped to a perfect fit.
Wish they'd both been like the first one!

IP Logged

DWT1885
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 11th, 2019 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Hi Gard, Yes, Vall is correct in that you must slug your bore. My Match B is .326 and ordered my mold for a .327 bullet. I'm hoping I won't have to breech seat but will if I must. I think I saw the rifle you have on Guns International. If so, that was a good price. Almost got it myself. Enjoy. Dale.

35th Security Police Squadron, Phan Rang AB, RVN, May 70-71.
All gave some, some gave all.

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #10 - May 11th, 2019 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
That is the gun. I usually think things over. I bought this one minutes after it was posted. It stayed up for a couple days after I bought it. Kind of made me nervous.

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 12th, 2019 at 12:18pm
Print Post  
Appears you bought this rifle as being one you that you would like to take out simply for your own personal enjoyment. It's now yours so don't hesitate to drill and tap the barrel if that is what it takes for you yourself to take out and to fully enjoy.

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2019 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
After getting the bore cleaned there is some mild pitting. The rifling looks good except for the pitting. How bad is this going to be on accurracy?

IP Logged

Gard72977

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2019 at 6:31pm
Print Post  
U just tapped a tapered 9mm bullet into the muzzle. I got about 1/2 inch of rifling indention. It measures  .328 at it's largest.  I'm going down the road to a new barrel in a hurry..........

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2019 at 7:40pm
Print Post  
Don't give up yet. That pitting is sometimes not a problem- in fact, clean it again in case it's just some really tenacious grime in the barrel. But don't worry yet. Now, the bullets.......
ask around here and see if something might show up to get you enough for a test run at the range. Guys may turn you on to a few. I've done it, and others have done it for me here.
In the meantime, you can gather the rest of what you need to get it shooting.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #15 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Sounds like you just need a mold that matches your barrel. Like order this one in .329: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #16 - May 14th, 2019 at 10:07am
Print Post  
oneatatime wrote on May 13th, 2019 at 8:30pm:
Sounds like you just need a mold that matches your barrel. Like order this one in .329: (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

A mold and a breech seating tool! I was forced to breech seat with my Hepburn Match B in .32-40 B&M, and wasn't too happy about being forced into it by the large bore. But Jerry Cleave made my gorgeous breech seating tool and in the end it shoots better than any other .32-40 I own by shooting it this way.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint