Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic converting a Winder to 25-20 (Read 541 times)
mori
Junior Forum Member

converting a Winder to 25-20
May 11th, 2019 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
Is it possible to convert(with a new barrel) a Winder action to 25-20  Win and would the action take that kind of pressure?Mori

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: converting a Winder to 25-20
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2019 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Need a center fire breech block and extractor. Personally, I'd rather see it done with a high wall, but for cast bullet shooting you should be all right with a Winder action. Be careful of any high velocity stuff if it was mine.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

1isenough
Junior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2019 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
I am in the middle of just such a conversion.  I have two take-off barrels that I am lining/converting to 32-20 and 25-20 so I can interchange between the two.  I use liners from TJ's, and they are glued it and ready of the chamber reamer.  On a side note, I am doing the 25-20 barrel using a 25-35 liner.  It is slightly heavier (1/2" versus 7/16") and has a 1:10 twist versus the standard 1:14 so I can try 100-115 grain bullets.

I purchase a highwall centerfire block and firing pin from Montana Vintage Arms.  The Winder has a coil spring, so I had to drill the two holes for the legs of the spring, then moved the hammer and spring to the new block.  Worked pretty well.  Now I'm waiting for the receiver to come back from de-plating, so I can blue it and put everything together.  Then I will chamber/headspace the two lined barrels, and head to the range.

Regarding pressure, I am pretty sure the low wall was originally manufactured in 32-20 and 25-20.  Also, the Winder barrel has the high wall heavy tenon, so not much difference from a high wall in terms of the amount of steel around the chamber.  The block rails are a little shorter, but is seems it should pretty easily handle the back thrust pressure that a 25-20 or 32-20 will generate, even if loaded fairly hot.  If someone factually knows otherwise I'll be interested to hear.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.  Keep us posted.

Jim

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2019 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Mori,

I have a couple of ideas.  Maybe we can trade breech blocks.  Let's talk.

Dick

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2019 at 11:24am
Print Post  
It's not that difficult a procedure to convert a breech block from RF to CF by simply bushing it.  The Mann-Niedner conversion was popular at one time, but a simple change of the breech face is all you will need for a low pressure round like the 25-20 WCF.  BTW, this was a popular chambering from the very smallest (smooth side) low wall actions, so the Winder action, which is just a high wall with lowered walls, will be plenty strong.

Froggie

IP Logged

Rebel
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2019 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
I seem to remember reading on this sight that the winders did not get the same heat treating. Maybe it was Redsetter that had some insight.

Aaron

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and supporting factual or anecdotal evidence.

IP Logged

coljimmy
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
I do have a low wall, 87,000 range, 1894 vintage, with a set back barrel in 25WCF that shoots well for jackrabbits .  It has A. O. Niedner's stamp on the barrel.  The fellow that I bought it from realized it was set back, but the scope block was over the caliber stamp area.  He didn't know about Niedner.  It may have been a Single Shot before the rework?

James

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint