Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Let the learning begin (Read 2322 times)
bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Let the learning begin
May 11th, 2019 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Just paid for a big brother to my little 7x14 Grizzly lathe.  Ron Heilman (sight maker extraordinaire) had this South Band Heavy 10 with 4.5' bed and hardened ways.  It came with some great tooling as shown.
Adjustable 6", 6 jaw scroll chuck, 6" 4 jaw chuck, steady rest, follower rest, micrometer carriage stop, 5 C collet closer, collet tray, QC tool post and other goodies.  Won't be picking the lathe up until later next week.  Gives me time to rearrange my shop.

This is the last big toy on my pre-retirement bucket list  Going to have to fine a hole in the back yard to bury all the barrels I mess up  Grin

ASSRA # 11318
Yesterday I did nothing and today I'm finishing what I did yesterday.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Re: Let the learning begin
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2019 at 9:15pm
Print Post  
Congrats ! Great machine and the tooling to get you going ! I have been running a 13" sb as a rank beginner and love it. Found the old southbend "how to run a lathe" book very helpful. I think John Hinnants book "the complete illustrated guide to precision rifle barrel fitting" is good. He talks about working between centers and through the headstock. Touches on the "gordy gritters" aka grizzly rod method too though there are a couple better resources for that method. Im sure the more experienced guys can chime in. I found an old southbend machine shop projects book with lots of increasingly difficult shop projects a great way to start making chips. Congrats again you will love that machine.

Zack

IP Logged

LRF
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - May 11th, 2019 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Congrats, you will love it, great machine. I have one just like it that I have owned now for probably 10 years. Mine came with much much tooling. Smiley Have fun

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2019 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Zack,

I have both those books.  Now I have to start studying them more.  I also have a two volume machine shop training course and Machine Shop Trade Secrets by Harvey.  Tubal Cain on You tube is a great resource as well.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - May 11th, 2019 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
Haha I love tubalcain. There are a ton of great youtube guys out there if you are so inclined. I like this old tony too. Not a gunsmithing channel but lots of good shop stuff and he is a closeted airgun guy. Glad you got a collet closer with it. I use my collets a ton. Probably more than my chucks for small gun part stuff. I have been liking using collet blocks on the mill too. Surprising how many little bits can have features cut on the lathe in collets then transferred to the mill in collet blocks to have other features cut. Im in the very green stage so always learning. Best- zack

IP Logged

n.r.davis

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2019 at 7:36am
Print Post  
If your falling asleep your taking too light of a cut.  If the Machine is jumping around your taking too heavy of a cut.  If the parts won't go together you need to take more off.  If they fall apart on assembly you took off too much.  Simple, Yup!  A challenge, Yup!
Enjoy!  David

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2019 at 8:46am
Print Post  
If Ron had it, it has to be a good machine! Good see that picture with Ron standing there. He looks like he's still doing great! Tell Ron I said hello when you pick up the lathe!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2019 at 10:19am
Print Post  
Congratulations Jack !

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2019 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Vall,
Ron seems to be doing fine. He said the demand for his soule sight has dropped off with the cheaper alternatives on the market but the German sights are still selling.  He has a table at Puyallup still and has been shooting military CBA.  I think he said he won the match at Paul Bunyan yesterday morning. I look forward to making chips on that lathe.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2019 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Jack,
Thank you for the Email.

That's a really nice looking lathe, with all the tooling you should need (for now  Smiley).

I'm sure your wife will know where to find you for at least the next year  Roll Eyes

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2019 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
bpjack wrote on May 12th, 2019 at 10:52am:
Vall,
Ron seems to be doing fine. He said the demand for his soule sight has dropped off with the cheaper alternatives on the market but the German sights are still selling.  He has a table at Puyallup still and has been shooting military CBA.  I think he said he won the match at Paul Bunyan yesterday morning. I look forward to making chips on that lathe.

Jack

Looks like he's got a new seller in  his thimbles for the Pacific Ballard barrels! He's been doing good with those sales recently.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

KFW

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2019 at 8:29am
Print Post  
nice lathe, you may know this or not....set up the lathe using a precision machinists level. check end to end so there is not a twist to the bed. the old SB will love you for that. this will get you the inherent accuracy it was made with.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2019 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Jack:

Let me know when you are taking orders.

Dave

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2019 at 1:08pm
Print Post  
My Lathe is directly mounted onto a very solid piece of angle iron, the intent to keep the bed from twisting and it being level to the base itself. In others words when using a machinist level all though the base is not perfectly level the reading on the machinist level reads the same across the ways for their entire length. I also cannot detect any twisting in the base while prying up on one corner trying to purposely induce a different reading on the machinist level across the ways. In other words I believe it to be a better mounting system compared to a typical and separate from lathe base and I hope that makes some sense.

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2019 at 2:05pm
Print Post  
Terms of parallel, twisted and flat actually get pretty muddy when talking about lathes and Im not quakified to give a treatise. Precision work can be turned out on a lathe mounted to the floor of a ships machine shop because the bed ways and floor are parallel. The concrete floor in my shop changes enough with temperature that my lathe level pics up a few thou of difference

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint