Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lyman 1a combination sight (Read 409 times)
OLReliable

Lyman 1a combination sight
May 15th, 2019 at 7:54am
Print Post  
I have what appears to me to be a Lyman 1a combination sight on my Marlim 1893 lever gun. The staff flips forward and aft and am asking wha needs to be done to secure it in place.

OLR
wyyyyyyy iiiyyyyyy awwwttta ......

IP Logged

BP
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Lyman 1a combination sight
Reply #1 - May 15th, 2019 at 10:05pm
Print Post  
Well, first off, it looks like you have a No. 1 instead of a No. 1A sight (a picture of a No. 1A with its side cam-locking lever is shown below for comparison).
Second, it looks like the Joint Assembly (the staff, upright, whatever you want to call it that Lyman didn't call it) may have been installed into the base 180 degrees out of its normal alignment (the flip-down aperture located in the stem should flip down toward the muzzle, not toward the butt of the rifle).
Third, it looks like the loop spring may have been installed into the base so that it is rotated out of alignment with the small window (cut into the loop-spring side of the base) that allows the loop-spring to expand, and at the same time engage the transverse notch/slot that is cut into the edge of the pivot hole of the Joint Assembly, through which the loop-spring passes.
You need to have the base, the Joint Assembly, and the loop-spring each positioned in proper alignment with one another, and held that way, as you tighten down the lock nut that is located on the threaded end of the loop-spring.    Smiley
« Last Edit: May 15th, 2019 at 10:15pm by BP »  

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.
Proud Noodlehead

IP Logged

OLReliable

Re: Lyman 1a combination sight
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2019 at 5:12am
Print Post  
Thank you !!

OLR
wyyyyyyy iiiyyyyyy awwwttta ......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint