Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) On the horns of a dilemma (Read 3097 times)
Mick B
Oldtimer

On the horns of a dilemma
May 18th, 2019 at 3:25am
Print Post  
My recently constructed Meacham 40/65 hads not come up to expectations and I'm considering one of the following options ( but open to other ideas as well )
Option #1
Get the barrel re lined in the US.
Pro's,  Less cost than a new barrel, no new sight blocks and front dovetail and no cost of profiling the barrel octagonal, also it should screw straight in with no problems.
Cons.  ???

Option #2
Send the barreled action to the US and have a new barrel fitted and chambered.
Pro's  Brand new Krieger barrel or some other readily available
quality barrel.
Cons. Cost of chambering and profiling the barrel octagonal, fitting scope blocks, and cutting front sight dovetail. Long delay and the cost of all that work will be subject to duty and sales tax when the rifle is returned.
Last question.
If getting a new barrel or a liner installed I was thinking about a cartridge change, possibly going to the 40/70 Sharps Straight, which I'm informed can be made from 405 Winchester brass. If this is the case how difficult is it to do.
All ideas much appreciated, especially cheap ideas.
Mike.

change

IP Logged

jy3855
Senior Forum Member

Re: On the horns of a dilemma
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2019 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Mike,

Unless you have a source for 405 Winchester brass, I would think of another chambering than 40-70 SS. The supply of 405 Win has all but dried up here in the States.

I've been reading of people being pleased with the "40-65 Maynard". Evidently not a true Maynard design, but based on a 30-40 Krag case blown out to 40 cal. Very easy to make cases if you've got a source for 30-40 brass. 30-40 brass is available here in the States.

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2019 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Mick,
I am surprised that you are having such problems with
your 40-65.
Typically, loading them is "falling off a log" easy to get
accurate loads. Black Powder loads that is. 
I have not had much experience with smokeless loading
of the 40-65.
I have actually had more problem with accurate shooting
my 40-72. Same as the 40-70. I use as is Hornady 405 brass
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2019 at 8:50am
Print Post  
Mick,
What barrel is now on the Meacham?
Twist?
Maybe I can help you with a load and bullet combination
that will work.
beltfed/arnie

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Mick,
Attached is drg of my 371 gr DDEPP bullet
along with a pic of a 100yds group from
my Hi Wall 40-65/16 twist with this bullet over 74.5 gr Swiss 1.5
Bullet and load stabile and accurate out to 1K

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ( 852 KB | 7 Downloads )

IP Logged

beltfed
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - May 18th, 2019 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Maybe it will work this time

IP Logged

JSB30

Reply #6 - May 18th, 2019 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
Better check on 405 brass before you commit to it. Seem to be very hard to find.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - May 20th, 2019 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
I have made a little progress with the 40/65 by testing it using breech seated bullets in an attempt to isolate the accuracy problem the chamber, there was a small improvement by breech seating but the was to be expected anyway.
One suggestion I have received was to re chamber to 40/82 which would probably be my cheapest option and after purchasing a chamber reamer in the US I could have the job done here and avoid having to send the barrel OS and risk it being damaged.
Speaking of the 40/82 I had a look in the BACO catalogue and three seems to be more than one 40/82 listed. Could someone please enlighten me re the different versions and possible advantages of one over another.
I would appreciate hearing from anyone who shoots a 40/82, or a possible web site that would likely have more information than the ASSRA site that is more into the smaller calibers preferred by the ASSRA members.
Mike..

IP Logged

Premod70
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - May 20th, 2019 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
Try the Shiloh Sharps forum, they are a wealth of information when it comes to black powder rifles.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 21st, 2019 at 2:34am
Print Post  
On your advice I tried to get onto the Shiloh forum but seemed not to be able to register, no doubt due to my lack of computer skills and advanced age. I must admit from what I saw it could be the answer to some of my questions concerning the 40/82 loading  methods.
Mike.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #10 - May 21st, 2019 at 5:15am
Print Post  
I have had rifles that never performed well due to leading; which was cured by having a custom mould made for that rifle that had a narrow bore.

Leading is often caused by having the maximum diameter of your bullet head being larger than the bore diameter.

Cast your chamber to confirm your bore is .400" and make sure your maximum bullet diameter is also .400" or preferably .399".

Yes the driving bands should be .408" or .409" for the .408" groove-to-groove diameter.

You can also have your barrel rebored to a larger caliber for $Can 300-$Can 400. It could be easily converted to a .45-70.
Ron Smith (RKS Barrels) rebores rifle barrels at Wimborne, Alberta, Canada.
He will rebore and rifle the barrel in left or right twist and either straight or gain twist.
« Last Edit: May 21st, 2019 at 5:31am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - May 21st, 2019 at 7:51am
Print Post  
Mick, If IIRC, you mentioned you may have a chamber that's a little over size in diameter. It might be worth trying 10 special made cartridge cases that are turned from brass from one of the companies that are doing it here in the US. I don't think the 40-82 is the answer. Too much black powder and recoil for what type of shooting you're trying to do.  You want pinpoint accuracy at a hundred yards off the bench.

IP Logged

Mick B
Oldtimer

Reply #12 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Old Win
While no recoil is best, the amount I get with the 40/65 does not bother me unduly. My usual load with fixed ammo is 60 gr of 2f under the 400 gr BACO Money bullet, when shooting the rifle breech seated the load is 76 gr under the same bullet. The rifle, with scope weighs over 12 lbs which sops up most of the shove, certainly less shove than my 45/90 had.
Going to the 40/82 just means getting a suitable reamer and making the existing chamber deeper by .300", I won't even have to exchange the extractor and, 45/90 brass is available here. A new barrel is an absolute last resort and will cost me in the vicinity of A$1700, a serious chunk of cash that I'm trying to save myself having to spend.
Mike

IP Logged

gunlaker
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - May 21st, 2019 at 9:09am
Print Post  
I would also think the big .40 cal case isn't necessarily the ticket.  You are going to add a lot of recoil which will not be the best thing for short range accuracy.

Personally I'd try a few different bullets ( breech seated ) to see what can be done after a few months of experimentation.  Not all designs are going to shoot the same of course.  As an example, I have a CPA in .38-55 and it shoots the Hoch tapered bullet with mediocre accuracy ( that's the bullet mold sold by CPA for the rifle ) but it shoots extremely well with a completely different design from Buffalo Arms.

Chris.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Frequent Elocutionist

Tune Your Rifle: Make
Her Sing

Reply #14 - May 21st, 2019 at 10:01am
Print Post  
I use 52.7 grains Swiss FFFg with a .060 vegetable wad compressed .230" witha 410 grain Boomer Money bullet and get 1.0 MOA to 1.2 MOA accuracy out to 800 meters in my 16:1 twist barrel.

I have no throat or leade in my rifle and using FFFg gives me the velocity I require without going to a longer case or shoving the bullet out to put more powder in the case of my .40-65 WCF.

Remember increasing velocity from 1,100 fps to 1,800 fps increases your wind drift - so speed is not the way to handle wind drift.

Wind drift is best handled by going to the heaviest bullet that your barrel's rifle twist can handle.
« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2019 at 9:17am by Schuetzendave »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint