Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic California Schuetzen Cabinet Card (Read 415 times)
Zack T
Senior Forum Member

California Schuetzen Cabinet Card
May 22nd, 2019 at 11:30am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Not mine. For people who collect cabinet cards this would be a hard one to find again.

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Re: California Schuetzen Cabinet Card
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2019 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
Am I seeing a false muzzle and bullet starter on that rifle?  And a powder measure hanging from the cord going across the man's chest?

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2019 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
That rifle just looks like a hunting rifle instead of a target rifle. Just my impression, you all decide.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2019 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
I thought it had a false muzzle and starter myself. Cant tell about the measure. Looks like a very classic California Halfstock. I would have bought the card as I collect but it wasnt cheap and was kinda outside what I usually collect.

IP Logged

calledflyer
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2019 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
Again, not an expert on the subject, but it still doesn't work as a California gun because the maker was in Philadelphia according to the writing on the back. So..................? Nice photo, but I don't know what of precisely.  Cry

There is a patch sewn on his left breast that I've seen (I think) on this forum. California ass'n if memory serves. Maybe a clue to somebody.

happily ignored by J. "Sonny" Louis

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2019 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Technically - and collectors will go pretty far out on a technical limb - it's a "California gun" because  A. J. Plate sold it.  Also as Plate and the photography studio were in San Francisco, the assignment of the subject to a San Francisco club seems reasonable.  Whether the club was a "schuetzen" club as the annotation states or a hunting, general shooting, or even just a sportsman's club would, I think, hang on identifying the subject's distinctive "uniform" and, perhaps, the "patch".

In any case, it's a great photo and I only wish the rifle had been turned lock-side out.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

Zack T
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2019 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Id echo everything Bill said. The things I like about the image-  clear and no significant damage.  I can see a lot of attributes of the shooter and gun.  Card is marked by a known studio.  Icing on the cake is the hand written description of the gun  presumably by its owner. Lots of "California Guns" were made in Pa and elsewhere sold by Aj Platte, Nathanial Curry, Liddle and Kaeding etc etc. The Slotterbek bros  are particularly well known for that.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint