Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Walnut Hill 417 (Read 2889 times)
uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Walnut Hill 417
Reply #15 - May 28th, 2019 at 4:08am
Print Post  
Somewhere I once read that the 417 fires from the half-cock position, but that there is a "full-cock" position behind that to hold the hammer out of the way for cleaning?  Fact?  or  Fiction?

Eleutheromaniac

IP Logged

Old-Win
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - May 28th, 2019 at 8:04am
Print Post  
marlinguy wrote on May 27th, 2019 at 11:44pm:
Pope built a new rifling machine after leaving Stevens, but it was in his new shop in San Francisco and lost to the great fire. So when he returned to the East Coast and set up shop in the Colgate Bldg. he built another rifling machine.
I didn't know there was a Pope rifling machine on display in Florida? I know AW Peterson's machine is on display in Mt Dora, Fl. at the Peterson Museum/Gun Shop.

OK, my memory is wrong on the Pope machine in Florida.† It's actually Axel Peterson's.† But isn't there one of Pope's rifling machines still around somewhere that somebody may own?

IP Logged

ssmann
Junior Forum Member

Reply #17 - May 28th, 2019 at 8:18am
Print Post  
Slumlord is correct, fires from what would be half cock position on most of my guns.

IP Logged

colo native
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - May 28th, 2019 at 4:52pm
Print Post  
Yes the speed hammer fires at the position that would be half cock, but has no full cock or safety , these were the later ones not the early numbers,  don't know when it changed... I used to get parts from GUNPARTS and they still show parts drawings, quite interesting..on the 417 and 418

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - May 29th, 2019 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Old-Win wrote on May 28th, 2019 at 8:04am:
marlinguy wrote on May 27th, 2019 at 11:44pm:
Pope built a new rifling machine after leaving Stevens, but it was in his new shop in San Francisco and lost to the great fire. So when he returned to the East Coast and set up shop in the Colgate Bldg. he built another rifling machine.
I didn't know there was a Pope rifling machine on display in Florida? I know AW Peterson's machine is on display in Mt Dora, Fl. at the Peterson Museum/Gun Shop.

OK, my memory is wrong on the Pope machine in Florida.† It's actually Axel Peterson's.† But isn't there one of Pope's rifling machines still around somewhere that somebody may own?

Haven't heard of one, but that doesn't mean there isn't.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #20 - May 29th, 2019 at 11:31am
Print Post  
A guy named Dave Arawinko has the Pope rifling machine, according to Cliff LaBountyís book on rifling methods.  Thereís a chapter and an addendum in the book on the converted lathe and how Pope set it up to make gain twist rifling.

LaBounty showed a string of provenance for the machine from Pope through his kids to Ray Smith (the Popeís Barrels author) through a couple other people to Arawinko.  Itís the real thing, evidently.

IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 29th, 2019 at 11:42am
Print Post  
I wanna think I've seen a video of it on these here Innertubes. Or maybe just a bunch of still pictures.

Eleutheromaniac

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint