Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Guy needs help IDing a rifle.... (Read 2539 times)
82ndpara

New Guy needs help IDing a rifle....
Jun 4th, 2019 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Hello all, FNG here, long time member of Gunboards.com I was referred here by a member there to ask for help IDing this rifle. I've been commissioned to sell this rifle and can't  pin down the model or any other notable history.
It's a Stevens single shot .22 LR, pivoting block action with what appears to be factory scope mounts. I couldn't find a serial number anywhere, but I didn't take off the forearm.
It's believed to be perhaps a model 54 built on a model 44 1/2 receiver. It has the Scheutzen type butt stock and butt plate hooks...

Any help on an ID and approximate value would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley

82ndpara

IP Logged

82ndpara

Re: More photos....
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
More photos.....

IP Logged

82ndpara

Couple more photos
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Couple more photos

IP Logged

82ndpara

Uploaded wrong photo
Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 8:50pm
Print Post  
Here's the correct photo

Thanks for looking!

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Re: New Guy needs help IDing a rifle....
Reply #4 - Jun 4th, 2019 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
From the tang forward, you have a Stevens Model 418 (or possibly 418-1/2) known as the "Walnut Hill Junior".  It's built on the Model 1915 "Favorite" action, not the 44-1/2.  The buttstock. however - wow!  If it's a factory buttstock, it's a very special-order one and one that I'd not thought was still obtainable in the post-WWI Stevens era.  Last but hardly least, the condition appears to be superlative!

Also, I wonder, if the buttstock -or at least the buttplate - could've been adapted from the Savage Model 1904?

Chime in here Redsetter!

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

frnkeore
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 2:07am
Print Post  
Bill,
if your referring to the Savage 1905. That butt plate IS the Stevens #2 Schuetzen butt plate.

I have a 1905 and my Model 45 with that plate. You can not tell any difference, between the two.

Frank

ASSRA Member #696, ISSA Member #339
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

uscra112
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 9:15am
Print Post  
Agree entirely with Bill.  I'd love to own it but I couldn't begin to afford a fair price.  (Is there a smiley for drooling?)

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #7 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 9:35am
Print Post  
From the case colors used, and the features of this gun it appears to be a fairly late version. Often guns built later in production have a mismatch of what we think of as standard features. They shouldn't be dismissed as "built up guns", as they are just later guns that the factory built differently than earlier guns.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 9:57am
Print Post  
Frank's right; I did mean the Model 1905   Also, while I, too, have one, it never occurred to me that its buttplate is the same as the Stevens # 2.  Same jobber or did Stevens have a relationship with Savage well before Savage took them over from Westinghouse?

Second, while Vall's points are valid, this particular Stevens seems way too different to be simply be an excuse to use older, left-over parts.  Not to mention that a 44 or 44-1/2 buttstock wouldn't just slip onto a Favorite action.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #9 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Bill Lawrence wrote on Jun 5th, 2019 at 9:57am:
Second, while Vall's points are valid, this particular Stevens seems way too different to be simply be an excuse to use older, left-over parts.  Not to mention that a 44 or 44-1/2 buttstock wouldn't just slip onto a Favorite action.

Bill Lawrence

Which would enforce the idea that it is factory done, and not someone swapping parts. I don't think it's all "leftover" parts. My guess would be the buttplate is simply the one Frank mentioned and used by Stevens for this gun, and the rest was built as it is by Stevens.

IP Logged

moshannon

Reply #10 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Could possibly be a buttstock and plate from a #55 Ladies model which was built on the favorite frame.

ASSRA & NRA

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Good call, moshannon.  Both the early # 21 and the later # 55 Ladies Models were built on Favorite actions, and their pistol grips have that neat S-curve.  And while every one of the few I've seen are on the 1894 action, I suppose some could've been built on the 1915 (if it makes any difference as to the fit).  In any case, the current stock seems consistent with the rest of the rifle and to fit too well for a "stock swap" to have been made.

Still, no one's yet said anything about value.  Therefore, I'm going to stick my neck out (having not actually handled the rifle): based on the apparent high condition and assuming the rifle is completely as made by Stevens, $1000-$1200 minimum.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

silver
Junior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Was it common on this action not to have serial # on
The lower tang ?
Doug

IP Logged

Bill Lawrence
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 3:26pm
Print Post  
As for serial numbers on tangs, my experience is that the smaller boys rifles were not numbered at all while the standard Favorites sometimes had tang stampings that were not true serial numbers - batch numbers, perhaps? - but also often had nothing.  What was done with the "better" rifles built on a Favorite action such as the Ladies and the Walnut Hill models, I can't say, not having seen enough of them.  Therefore, let's hope that some of our real Stevens aficionados can say.

Bill Lawrence

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Jun 5th, 2019 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
I don't think this buttstock and buttplate is from another gun. Mainly because this particular gun is a pistol grip lower tang. If it was straight grip the donor stock wouldn't work. And since it's pistol grip I'd guess it was made this way for this stock.
How many pistol grip Favorites do you see?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint