Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Gleaning From Guns Magazine (Read 889 times)
Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Gleaning From Guns Magazine
Jun 6th, 2019 at 2:37pm
Print Post  
I am trying to wade through these magazines On Line but a lot of good Stuff is probably eluding me.  The magazine format encourages one to ignore ads and sidebars and keep on with the main articles.  But now that this stuff is 50 and more years old, everything is of interest.

IP Logged

JS47
Frequent Elocutionist

Member # 10889

Re: Gleaning From Guns Magazine
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
Reading old magazines is one of my favorite pastimes. Anything more than 50 years old is considered to be antique. What does that say about most of us here?

JS

"I'll be happy to contribute to the wolf recovery program, 180 grains at a time"† Unknown western rancher

IP Logged

slumlord44
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2019 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
How can I see the rest of this article? I have a  Bisley Model and have as much reference material as I have been able to find on them but haven't seen this one. Not at all sure about the 10 made. I have come up with serial numbers of 6 or 8 as I recall. Still looking for more info.

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 8:18am
Print Post  
That pretty much was the article.  Obviously, the writer hadnít heard of Grantís books, or maybe the big one on Boyís Rifles hadnít hit the market yet.  Or maybe the Editor figured that was all the space an article that 1% of the readership would want to hear more about was worth.

Thereís a Guns Magazine website, with a section of pdf copies of the 1950s to 1960s magazines to page through.† There was a pretty good three-part history of the Wesson Brothers in the last three I looked at.

It really is a time-travel expedition to our childhoods.† Reading the ads by Winfield Arms for Australian Cadet Rifles for $14.95 and Ye Olde Hunterís ads for Rolling Block rifles at 89 cents a pound, I can almost feel the weight in my pocket of those two silver quarters I got per week for my allowance, along with the old sense of hopelessness at the immense stretch of weeks of saving it would take to scrape together enough to buy one.† Extended, of course by the necessary outlays for staples of existence like Topps bubble-gum cards, toy soldiers and Revell model kits.† Forever out of reach! Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint