Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How do you remove breechblock from 1885 (Read 327 times)
Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

How do you remove breechblock from 1885
Jun 10th, 2019 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
I just received an original HiWall in 40/65 planning on making a dedicated hunting rifle out of it.  Come to find out it originally was a 40/60 and has a 1:40 twist.  I really did not care what the barrel was going to be like as I have a Douglas barrel in 40/65 that I was going to install if the original barrel did not shoot good.  I inspected the action somewhat but did not have time to really get it completely stripped so I removed the forearm, removed the flat spring, then backed off the retaining screw and pushed the pin out of the lever.  At that point in time I thought that everything would fall out the bottom but you must have to hold your tongue just right as I never was able to get anything to come out.  What is the proper sequence?  I really do not want to take the trigger group out if it is not necessary.  Thanks.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

OLD TUCK

Re: How do you remove breechblock from 1885
Reply #1 - Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:46pm
Print Post  
Tom if the breech felt at all tight when it was all together that is what you are fighting. Push the Lever back in too place and re-install the cross pin so you can get it thru the Lever and the extractor. Then just lower the breech block and let the extractor hang out. Now remove the Lever pin and let the Lever and Breech block fall out, the extractor should also fall out easily. If there still is any tightness there it may have been assembled wrong. Model 1885 actions are not all that tight, they usually are quite smooth unless some one has tried to tighten up the fit by making up a link with longer spacing in the Link Pin holes. Also some extractors have been made in the Past that are thicker so that the Breech Block gives a tight feel. HTH Fitz. OLD TUCK Smiley

PS Tom. Another issue I just thought of. Does this rifle show any sign of disassembly of the Barrel? Any appearance of Vise marks on the Barrel? Any indication on the sides of the receiver that it has ever been clamped on or over. If it does show any of that you may have a stressed receiver. It is possible with High Walls to distort the receiver if you try to hold over the receiver without shimming it with a close fitting block for support inside.
If that happens and it does move the receiver usually becomes Trapezoid

in shape and is no longer Square and Rectangular. Once that happens the Breech block will not want to fit into the receiver  and would need to be driven in. This creates a very tight fit. Spend some time looking it over in the areas I have mentioned. This condition can be fixed if it is not too bad. HTH and I am wrong here. OLD TUCK Sad
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2019 at 11:59pm by OLD TUCK »  

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:00pm
Print Post  
The problem is indeed a tight spot although with a not so gentle tug it came out.  The extractor is a factory extractor but that did not seem to be the problem.  I have an extractor for my other rifle that measured the same and it fit in this rifle ok.  It is only tight in one spot and looking at the vice marks on the barrel it was probably pretty tight and the receiver was slightly sprung.  Next step is to get some .406 bullets and see what she shoots like.  I put a Lyman #2 on and took off the buckhorn so maybe I can see the sights!  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
If the sides are just slightly bowed in, you can put a 3/8" or so diameter, short bolt in with a nut on the end.  Turn the nut and hold the bolt end with it centered on the bulge.  It will expand it back out.  I've had to do this on 1885's, as well as 1890 and 1906 .22's more than once.  It's an easy repair if you go slow and do trial and error till it just works.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:20pm
Print Post  
That sounds like an easy way to spring it back. Thanks for the tip. Smiley  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint