Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Broken Cartridge Case Removal (Read 919 times)
Remington40x

Broken Cartridge Case Removal
Jun 11th, 2019 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I had my BSA Model 15 .22 Hornet out on Sunday and had a cartridge case break off cleanly in the chamber.  The rear 3/8 inch of the cartridge came out, the balance did not.  The first thought of a .22 caliber cleaning rod and brush down the barrel did not work to remove the balance of the case.

Is there a simple way to do this or should I just punt and take it to my local smith?

Thanks.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Oldman1950

Re: Broken Cartridge Case Removal
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:08pm
Print Post  
One method that I have used in the past is to get a can of instant freeze. It is a small spray can with the little plastic nozzle that they use to remove stuck on chewing gum.
First spray the chamber with a fine oil like WD40 or the like.
Then spray the chamber with the instant freeze and then use your bore brush to grab ahold of the broken case.

A. J. Palik

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 12:46pm
Print Post  
I read here that using cerrosafe works like sliced bread.  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I have a tool for a 218 bee but it won't work for the Hornet.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Cerrosafe typically works very well. Just push a cleaning patch ahead of the case about a quarter inch or so. Then just pour enough to get in front of it and it should push right back out with your cleaning rod. Also easy enough to make a separated case extractor for future use here is one I made for a 25-21.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rgchristensen
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 2:06pm
Print Post  
    Easiest way to make a broken case extractor is to take a smaller-caliber case, cut off so it will go down the bbl.   Then flatten one end a little and start that in the muzzle.   It will have enough spring to catch t he end of the broken case and push it out.  Granted it may be hard to find such for a Hornet.  You could slice a 22RF long-ways, and it should work.

CHRIS
RGChristensen

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

Mike Echo Oscar Whiskey

Reply #5 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
I once removed a broken case without knowing it.  In an AR the case broke.  Clearing the gun pulled the broken case out (as the new - live - round) was jammed into it.  When I picked up all the brass there the pair was - still stuck together.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
One thing I've done to remove a broken case without harming the chamber, is to turn down a little wooden dowl so that it fits into the broken case, then put some epoxy on the end of the dowl and carefully push it into the case, let it harden and then knock it all out with a rod.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Depending on how far up into the barrel the case is, a lead bullet pushed down from the muzzle should take the case out as will a brass plug just small enough to fit into the bore.  Also something like a lewis lead remover pushed in from the breach and then pushed back out  should grab the case mouth and pull it back out.
Sam

IP Logged

JLouis
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
I have witnessed first hand a couple of times where an individual really screwed up the chamber. Whatever means you see mentioned here take the time to think it over for awhile  before you do anything. What ever method you choose to use the tool or product being used needs to be allot softer than the barrel material itself or the probability of permanent damage is pretty high. I have also seen someone who tried to use an easy out per someone's recommendation and the result ended up being unrepairable.
« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2019 at 9:59pm by JLouis »  

IP Logged

Just Jim
Junior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2019 at 1:26am
Print Post  
JLouis wrote on Jun 11th, 2019 at 1:26pm:
Cerrosafe typically works very well. Just push a cleaning patch ahead of the case about a quarter inch or so. Then just pour enough to get in front of it and it should push right back out with your cleaning rod. Also easy enough to make a separated case extractor for future use here is one I made for a 25-21.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

That's a nice looking bit of work, friend!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint