Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Do I need to anneal when using blackpowder? (Read 421 times)
Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Do I need to anneal when using blackpowder?
Jun 28th, 2019 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Had a good session at the range this morning with my 40/65 Hiwall.  I put the Douglas .410 18 twist barrel on earlier in the week to replace the old original barrel that shot so poor last week.  I only shot a few rounds to see how things would go.  All loads were with Starline 50/65 brass but I probably made a mistake and used some shot once in the other barrel.  I used two bullets, the first a .410 400 grain Postell and the second a 300 gr gas checked sized to .412.  I loaded with IMR 4227 (20 grains for both bullets) and seated them just short of touching the lands.  I experienced quite a bit of blowback with the cases filthy and about one out of 4 did not want to extract easily, even with the blackpowder load that I shot last.  My thought is that the chamber is getting full of crud and holding the case fired case from popping right out.  The blackpowder load of Goex ffg shot so darned good with the Postell bullet that I am going to stick with blackpowder and was wondering if I need to anneal the brass or just switch to another brand of brass in 45/70 and neck it down.  I use the Starline 40/65 brass in my 38/56 roller but with jacketed bullets at 25,000 psi and have had no such problem.  I had problems with IMR 4227 in my 32-40 breech seated until I was told here to bell my brass slightly.  I can't really leave a bell on the fixed ammo as this gun is for hunting only and I need the case to easily chamber.  I was certainly surprised of the light recoil with the 400 grain bullet and black.  Thanks for any suggestions.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Deadeye Bly
Oldtimer

Re: Do I need to anneal when using blackpowder?
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
The blowback indicates that the brass is not sealing the chamber either because of low pressure or hard brass or possibly both. Conventional wisdom is to anneal Starline brass before use as it is harder than other brands.

IP Logged

Hiwall55
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Tom anneal that brass,especially  if its starline.
On another  note, do you need some 38-56 starline brass,I think I have a bout 50?

IP Logged

oneatatime
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
After I had trouble at distance with an 18 twist 40 and 400 grain bullets Dan Theodore recommended the 370 grain Saeco 640. Made all the difference in the world.

IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2019 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
I have read that Starline brass is hard.  I cleaned all of the fired brass this afternoon and sized all of it.  Any that felt hard sizing I set aside and when I was done I tried to measure to see if the base was thicker but if it was it was not detectable to me with my micrometer.  The proof of the pudding was that almost to a piece it would chamber but hard to extract.  I know better than to mix brass fired in different chambers and in a moment of weakness I did.  I tossed all of the brass that would not chamber and fall back out and now will try again.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

40_Rod
ASSRA Journal Editor

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2019 at 10:43am
Print Post  
Anneal it it dosen't take much. Hold it at theback  end (not the rim) in your fingers and roll it in a torch flame. When it feels warm drop it in water. It doesn't take much to anneal it as soon as you feel warm drop it. That old saw about heating it until its red or glows is toooo soft. Remember you can always anneal again but once their soft the only thing you can do is work harden then.

40 Rod

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint