Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic .219 Zipper Improved Data (Read 239 times)
Remington40x

.219 Zipper Improved Data
Jul 3rd, 2019 at 9:48am
Print Post  
Are any of you shooting a .219 Zipper Improved and, if so, can you tell me what you are using for reloading data?  I finally (after a very long stay at the gunsmith) got my J.W. Van Patten Winchester Hi-Wall in that cartridge back and would like to begin shooting it.  The rifle has a 27-1/2 inch heavy barrel and a 1 in 14 twist rate.

I have P.O. Ackley's data, but given his propensity for supercharging loads, I'm reluctant to rely on it.  I also have seen some references to using .225 Winchester data, but as I'm using blown out original .219 Zipper cases (Rem-UMC), I'm not sure whether that's a good idea.  The original Zipper didn't operate at anywhere near the .225's pressure levels and I don't know if the cases are anywhere near as strong.

So, can any of you suggest a good data source?  Or should I just start with original .219 Zipper data and work up until I'm happy with (or scared by) the results?

Thanks.

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Re: .219 Zipper Improved Data
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Data from Speer Manual Number 5.  Loads were tested with a Hiwall with a 24" 1/14 twist barrel.  This data is from 1961.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Bulseyetom
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I have had good luck forming brass for my 6mm-30/30 Improved using Hornady 25/35 brass.  Not sure what you have for a die so you might have to use a universal neck die and fireform.  Good luck.  Tom

Twitter  
IP Logged

Remington40x

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2019 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
Bullseyetom:

Thanks.  I have about 150 formed cases, all of which I need to anneal before I load them.  I did 40 last night, but will probably get the rest done over the holiday.  Your data and that which LD1 sent to me will get me started.  I have all of the powders listed except HV2.

Rem

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint